Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

80" Profile EXTRA 330L from Aeroworks.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

80" Profile EXTRA 330L from Aeroworks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 08:41 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80" Profile EXTRA 330L from Aeroworks.

Scale? Not really. But GIANT (barely). My friend and I are each building the 80" Extra 330 profile plane from Aeroworks. He and I were looking for something outrageous to put our YS 120's in. The kit was kind of a pain but the end result is cool.

I'll start covering this weekend. Except for talking to Aeroworks I have never heard ANYTHING about this kit. Does anyone out there fly this plane?

We are building one full span at 80" and the other one rib shorter at 73"

Construction and covering pics from the past weekend are at:

http://www.icon-stl.net/trout/airplanepics/profile1.jpg

http://www.icon-stl.net/trout/airplanepics/profile2.jpg

http://www.icon-stl.net/trout/airplanepics/profile3.jpg
Old 03-26-2002, 02:01 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

R/C Modeler did have a review of the kit about two years ago. Saw one (NIB) at a swap shop....$135 for some laser-cut ribs and the rest was balsa stock!

Jerry
Old 03-26-2002, 03:15 AM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Hmmm, I dont think I've ever seen that AW profile before? I know about the Extra 300 Profile, but never seen your 330 before.. Is that plane on Aeroworks' website? Thanks. Coulter
Old 03-26-2002, 04:09 AM
Cheech

Default Yeah, its a 300

Yes, tailskid. This kist is a pain in the butt. A few laser cut ribs and a box of wood. The instructions are terrible. They're just photocopied typewritten instructions that do NOT always match the plan. The plans dont match the building instructions 100% either. In fact, we called Aeroworks a couple times during the framing process. When asked about better instructions and current plans, they said they only sell a dozen or so of these kits each year now, so they will probably do nothing.

But, no big deal. the planes look like they'll be a HOOT. And plans and instructions notwithstanding, they ARE really well engineered and they're light. They tout this one as "the King of Fun Flys". On the YS 120 these may come in in the 10lb range. Not bad for a plane with 1600+ square inches of wing and an engine with 15 lbs of pull!

The plane is at http://www.aero-works.net/extra300profile/index.html . yeah, it's a 300L, not a 330. Again, when you're talking about a profile plane with a fun fly wing, what's the difference? It's a cool looking project. I'm eager to finish.

-Cheech

www.devino.org
Old 03-26-2002, 04:18 AM
Traxxas_Tech

Ok, I see... The pictures on Aeroworks' site only show pics of the finished plane in flight, useless to see the construction techniques and how its built.

I see you have the servos mounted in the tail and on the fuse in the front, Is that true to the plans, or is that a mod you did?

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to learn about it before I buy one. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2002, 05:03 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I built mine, I used the RCM construction article - it was better than their 'destructions'

Jerry
Old 03-26-2002, 05:38 AM
FastLaneAK

How do the Morris Hobbies giant fun fly's compare in construction and in flight? I am thinking of getting a Fun Fly and putting a small Gas motor on it if possible.

Lane
Old 03-26-2002, 11:45 AM
Cheech

You are on you own for servo placement on this plane. Whether or not you mount them up front or in the back is probably driven by the engine choice you make (balance). On one of these we have it set up with two servos vertical and the third mounted horizontally, all back in the tail. On the second one of these planes we set all three horizontal.

The throttle servo is the same deal, put it wherever you want. We are mounting to the hardwood beams that are under the sheeted balsa carrying the engine.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:56 PM
Traxxas_Tech

Thanks, I didnt know if they used control rods the length of the fuse or what. I like the tail mountes servos.

Hey, I'm going to use a YS 120, or a 140L if I can afford one, you say you're using a YS, how does it balance with servos in the tail? Thanks for the info
Old 03-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Cheech

Even with the servo's in the tail, I expect it will STILL be nose heavy on the YS 120's that my friend and I are using. We are adding flying wires for strength and for tail weight also.

Ask me again in a could weeks and I can tell you for sure. Both airplanes will be covered, rigged and flight ready then. I will have accurate weight & balance numbers then for sure.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:16 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

I am building one of these also. I am not as far along as you guys are. Mine will be powered by a BME50.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:12 AM
Cheech

BME 50 should be a riot. The plane pictured on the Aeroworks site is BME powered. When I talked to them about it they said it was AWESOME power. But he said that out there in Colorado the neede the extra power because they're at 5-600 feet and the air is thin.