Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 AM
phil 844

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yak 54

hi all just purchased a yak 54 and it has two servos on the elevator, do they connect to the receiver via a y lead thanks phil
Old 05-06-2009, 09:54 AM
bonebreak

Default RE: yak 54

You can use a y-lead. You could also put them on seperate channels (I think it's 1 and 6 on my futaba 7C). Using a y-lead is the easiest.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
fozjared

only problem with a y lead is you aren't getting quite as much voltage to each servo as you could if you went through separate channels
Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 AM
phil 844

I'm using a spectrum dx7 so i will try and put them on separate channels , if i can suss it out thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use a Y-harness it will have to be the reversing type. These have a circuit on one branch that reverses the signal and causes the servos to rotate opposite of each other. If you look at the way the servos mount they will move the elevator halves in opposite directions if the servos rotate the same way. The reversing Y was made for this.

If you have a DX-7 though I'd just plug the second elevator servo into aux-2 and mix them. That way you can reverse them individually as needed. Be sure to use programmable mix 5 or 6 so the elevator trim will work for both servos. With all the other programable mixes the master trim will not affect the slave.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: fozjared

only problem with a y lead is you aren't getting quite as much voltage to each servo as you could if you went through separate channels
That depends. A good quality Y should not have much voltage drop. Of course everything will have a voltage drop if enough current passes through it. Two servos with low current demand may result in no voltage drop at all through the Y and this is perfectly acceptable. Start using more powerful servos though that draw more current, put them on an aeorbatic plane with large surfaces and fly the thing hard and you end up with a lot of current requirement that could reveal voltage drop accross any weak points.

For most planes and flying though a Y-harness is perfectly fine for things like aileron servos.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Blazer1
My Feedback: (1)

I do not agree with the theory about using a Y results in lower servo performance verses each servo on its own wire because no matter how many servos you have on the plane they are feed through a single wire from the battery. The receiver does not have the ability to amplify the current from the battery so all the power must flow from the battery having only a single wire. Now if the receiver had a capacitor or some way of storing or increasing the available power I could see the benefit of using individual wires for each servo.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Blazer1

I do not agree with the theory about using a Y results in lower servo performance verses each servo on its own wire because no matter how many servos you have on the plane they are feed through a single wire from the battery. The receiver does not have the ability to amplify the current from the battery so all the power must flow from the battery having only a single wire. Now if the receiver had a capacitor or some way of storing or increasing the available power I could see the benefit of using individual wires for each servo.
Another good point.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
bonebreak

I totally missed the question. I read it as a y-lead for ailerons, when it is elevators. In that case I have no idea, so please dont take my answer in my previous post as accurate.