Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

question about stinger hardware

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

question about stinger hardware

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
dv8lst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about stinger hardware

I am in the process of modding my rio 51 and I want to replace the stinger hardware on the back of the boat as I have seen a few of the stock setups break. My local hobby shop carries 3 different options. The WHH enforcer, the insane, and the speedmaster.
My question has to do with the length of the stinger. The WHH is the closest to the stock rio hardware, the insane and speedmaster are much shorter. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to having the prop closer to the back of the boat vs sticking way out like the stock setup?
Thanks for the help
Old 05-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Bbbutch

Default RE: question about stinger hardware

I am also interrested in the answer to this queston.
I can tell you that I have installed the Speedmaster stinger on my RIO and with a modfied set up run mid fiftys all day long. But the prop is right beside the rudder.
Logic would suggest that if the prop was further back that it might work better in less distrubed / restricted water? Does any one know or have any thoughts about it?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 PM
bondobuster

Well on Full Throttle site , Tony recommends prop sit further back in clean water. Check out his show and most of your questions will be answered
Old 05-08-2009, 05:47 PM
dv8lst

Ok, this may be another dumb question. The rudder is offset to the right because in racing, you only turn right. So, if I were to get a whole different drive/rudder set up where the rudder is in the middle behind the prop, it would turn well in both directions? any downfall in setting up my rio this way? I don't race, I just drive behind the house, the boat is modded, and should be close to 60mph.
Thanks
Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont put the rudder behind the prop it will make the rudder servo work very hard trying to turn the rudder and also speed will be less with that setup.Keep an offset rudder you should be able to turn well both ways,i allways offset my drive 1/4" to right of centre to stop any prop walk etc and then the boat usually turns great both ways.Granted you will allways turn right better than left but thats due to the prop rotation more than anything.Oh if you hit 60 mph with the rio please post a vid .
Mart
butch having the prop further back is better as you say.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Bbbutch

ORIGINAL: dv8lst

Ok, this may be another dumb question. The rudder is offset to the right because in racing, you only turn right. So, if I were to get a whole different drive/rudder set up where the rudder is in the middle behind the prop, it would turn well in both directions? any downfall in setting up my rio this way? I don't race, I just drive behind the house, the boat is modded, and should be close to 60mph.
Thanks
Replace the stock servo with a very strong one and a 6 volt RX battery and you will be able to turn your boat hard either way. I use a Tower Hobbies TS-150 (193 oz - in at 6 VDC) but there are others that work just as good.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 PM
dv8lst

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Dont put the rudder behind the prop it will make the rudder servo work very hard trying to turn the rudder and also speed will be less with that setup.Keep an offset rudder you should be able to turn well both ways,i allways offset my drive 1/4" to right of centre to stop any prop walk etc and then the boat usually turns great both ways.Granted you will allways turn right better than left but thats due to the prop rotation more than anything.Oh if you hit 60 mph with the rio please post a vid .
Mart
butch having the prop further back is better as you say.
I use a JR DSR8801 digital servo for steering w/6v reciever pack. As far as the 60mph. I already have a rio going in the low 50's, only thing changed is the M5 engine w/clutch, bh hanson header/pipe and a prop of course. Everything else is stock. This rio I'm doing now is striped down and starting from scratch, fully custom. I bought it from the classifieds here, it was advertised as heavily modded and in perfect condition. When it arrived at my door it was a piece of junk with a toasted engine, I pretty much got ripped for $800. So now it's a complete rebuild, I'm a little new at boats so I may ask dumb questions about setups. Anyway, the toxic racing engine should be at my door any time now and it is supposed to have more power than the M5, so I would think if I set it up correctly I could see 60mph. I'll post some pics as I get further along in the build. I have it painted, and the turn fins and trim tabs are on, I just need to decide on my drive/rudder setup. I have mounted the gas tank in front of the engine to even out the cg a bit, and I need to get a new receiver box for the electronics, it will be centered in the back of the boat instead of offset like the stock box.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:07 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its one thing to have a motor capable of 60 mph its another to have a hull capable of doing it.I doubt the Rio could handle it even if it could hit it,the rio is a sports boat its not a racer by all accounts.If you want a hull to do 60 mph far better go with something like a razor.Also having the rudder behind the prop isnt the way to achieve those speeds in my opinion.Not saying anything against the toxic motor as theyre suposed to be a good strong motor but its not all about the motor,its all in the prop and finding the best setup for the boat etc.
Mart
Old 05-09-2009, 09:04 AM
dv8lst

Its one thing to have a motor capable of 60 mph its another to have a hull capable of doing it.I doubt the Rio could handle it even if it could hit it,the rio is a sports boat its not a racer by all accounts.If you want a hull to do 60 mph far better go with something like a razor.Also having the rudder behind the prop isnt the way to achieve those speeds in my opinion.Not saying anything against the toxic motor as theyre suposed to be a good strong motor but its not all about the motor,its all in the prop and finding the best setup for the boat etc.
Mart
I dont see what is so bad about the rio hull. Getting it to go in the 50's was easy. All it took was engine/pipe and prop and it went from stock to 50 in a day. I agree that in stock form, it can't handle much more than 50mph, but that is only because it has so much of its wieght in the back of the hull it has a tendency to blow over at high speed. I think if the cg was set up properly it would solve the issue. As for the prop and setup of the boat, that is why I'm asking these questions, I want to make sure I have a good drive/rudder set up because I think that it is important in getting the speed. The prop will be trial and error as it usually is.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:05 AM
bondobuster

Check out this.....easily over 60mph. This link works....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mk09VzjRvA
Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Double check your link.....not showing a specific thing
Old 05-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Bbbutch

Mart
This is very true of the RIO hull. Even at the mid fiftys if you hit a wave a little wrong, a slight breeze comes up or you don't have everything set just right the RIO will fly right out of the water. I manage to do this multible times every time I go out. But I have hit 58 MPH and stayed on the water. IMO I think 60 MPH and a little above is do-able. It's just not practical with this hull. Soon (I wish I could do it now) I will pull the parts out of the RIO and put them into a Razor or like hull. The RIO hull has served me very well. It has taken "many" crashes that were so bad that I'm embarassed to tell you guys about them.
For those of you who "THINK" your RIO is duing 60's just hang a GPS meter on it and prove it. Please post the pic. It is very sobering to think that your boat is doing 60's and find that it isn't even running in the 50's.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Bbbutch

I figured I had better post my own GPS pics so here's a few I took today.
This was on a freshly ported cylinder I did last weekend when it rained here. The 53.7 MPH was on it's first tank of fuel which I shouldn't have push it that hard yet. The 56.2 was a few tanks later. I beleive I can get a few more MPH out of this cylinder if the boat will stay on the water. It flew off two times today.
It is also good to get a couple of good readings on your GPS unit. Every once in a while you will get a bogus reading like the day I got a single 67 MPH and all the others were 52 to 55.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58092.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1195325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18094.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1195326