Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Easyflex Fuel tubing Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easyflex Fuel tubing Recall?

At my local hobby shop, they told me that the Aerotrend Easyflex gasoline fuel tubing is no longer being produced because there were problems with the product (hardens and gets stiff in gas). Anyone else hear this story? How's this tubing working for y'all. Is it getting stiff like Tygon?
Old 06-18-2003, 11:53 PM
A320driver

Any tubing used for gas will go hard over time. Best to change it out every year if you need the flexibility.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:34 AM
Diablo-RCU

No miracle polymers invented yet that keep the fuel lines flexible?
Hmmm. Oh well. About a year ago, everyone was raving about the Easyflex tubing, claiming it didn't get hard. Black neoprene doesn't get hard, but it cracks all over the place.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:25 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Default Fuel Line

If we could only get the fuel line manufacturers to extrude some more expensive fluorosilicone line, we'd be all set. It's a variant of conventional dimethylsilicone that we use in glow fuel, etc.

Fluorosilicone is what is used in automotive fuel systems, where flex, low temp performance, and lower durometer than Viton is needed. Viton works well but is too stiff, especially in cold weather. It's not new by any means, but simply more expensive. I spec'd it in fuel delivery systems that I developed for Ford and others for car and light truck in-tank applications 15 years ago when I worked for Walbro. Good stuff.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Nonsense!

I don't know from what shop this originated, but I know for a fact that this is pure nonsense! I use this stuff and it does NOT get brittle with age...In fact it is the only line I know of that will not. It also can be be removed from a fitting and be replaced without having to cut the end off becase of what is called 'memory'. Memory is where the stuff stretches out and will not 'snap back'. Tygon is famous for doing that. I do this all the time as I use fuel dots on my 33% Extra. I've used this stuff now for over a year and a half and the original line is still in my plane. The stuff works flawlessly...just as advertised. Nearly everyone I know that I fly with uses this stuff exclusively now because of these facts. I also went to their website, and there is no mention of any recall at all. Maybe this hobby shop has some motive behind telling people this. Easy-Flex is a great product...nothing at all wrong with it. I wouldn't use anything else.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

They still have it on their web site.

http://www.aerotrend.com/shop_subcat.php?subcat=4
Old 06-19-2003, 11:47 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there are two blue gasoline tubings they sell - one is more rigid -and frankly _I don't like it - the other flexible one is just dandy.