Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

How much do I need to spend to go 70+ MPH ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:14 PM
kevin_kaya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do I need to spend to go 70+ MPH ?

To cut a very long story short, I bought a Kyosho inferno gt about 1-2 years ago, was really excited, after hours and hours of fiddeling over a period of almost a year, Igave up, sold it at a £100 loss. Nitro isent for me.. at least for the moment..

Are there any Ready to race or as good as ready to race electric cars that go around 70+ MPH, and how much aproximately would Ineed to spend?

Which car would you recomend?

Any other kind of info would be really helpfull.

Thanks everyone!

And what would be required for drifting, just special tires?

And forgot to mention Iwanna go on road.. unless someone can persuade me otherwise:P

Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 PM
ElectricGuy007

Default RE: How much do I need to spend to go 70+ MPH ?

ORIGINAL: kevin_kaya

Are there any Ready to race or as good as ready to race electric cars that go around 70+ MPH, and how much aproximately would I need to spend?

Youd have to run onroad, offroad would be uncontrollable at those speeds. Maybe an Associated 12 R5, with a 7700kv mamba, just an idea.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 AM
kevin_kaya

Ok, well how fast could I get if I go with a truggy?

And how fast will £200 get me ? :P

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
lam1na

Well, you could get a rustler vxl... about £230

but then you need a 3s Lipo and charger.. which will take you around 55/60+ mph you will be able to hit 70+ with a abit of twinkling.
Look on youtube.. you can find a few videos of rustler vxl's hitting 80+ with 3s batt's
Old 05-25-2009, 01:32 PM
kevin_kaya

After some research I decided Iwanna get a drift car, whats the HPI E10 like? Its not very fast is it?..

What other drift cars are there preferably under the £200 mark and over 50mph mark
Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
traxxaspede

I may be wrong, but i think a TC4 is a good platform for speed. do you already have any batteries? if you so then spend some on a good chassis and the rest of bearings/good brushless combo.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:23 PM
kevin_kaya

I have absolutely nothing and I know pretty much nothing about rc electric cars :P
Old 05-25-2009, 05:52 PM
traxxaspede

tamiya tb-02  might be good. its under 100 USD i think, so its pretty cheap and its a pretty good drifter. also check out the tb-02D, it comes with some driftin hop-ups and is still pretty cheap. would you want a kit or RTR?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:22 AM
kevin_kaya

RTR !! Or how hard is it to assemble a "kit" ?? Are there any advantages of getting a kit?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:42 PM
pritch

The advantage of going kit is that you have input into the component choice. To get to the kind of speeds youstated would mean getting new motor/esc combo anyway, and brushless. You also know the car better if you build it yourself. You will need some skills at putting things together, not too complicated though, and some basic tools like a range of screwdrivers, hex/allen keys, pliers, hobby knife, that kind of thing.

On the other hand, RTR gets you driving straight away and you can sometimes get very good deals. It's a personal preference, but kit does give you more control and is more involving.

For £200 it will be a bit tricky if you need a kit, decentbrushless motor/esc, decentlipobattery, charger and radio gear. You may need the odd tool, other bits and pieces like ball bearings which are a must for cars intended for high speed. Itall costs.

Best to assemble list of everything you will needfor what you wantfirst, then work out the prices, and see if you anywhere near £200!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: kevin_kaya
To cut a very long story short, I bought a Kyosho inferno gt about 1-2 years ago, was really excited, after hours and hours of fiddeling over a period of almost a year, Igave up, sold it at a £100 loss. Nitro isent for me.. at least for the moment..

Are there any Ready to race or as good as ready to race electric cars that go around 70+ MPH, and how much aproximately would Ineed to spend?

Which car would you recomend?
Back in the days Ihad a TC4 that could break 65mph, using a castle mamba max 5700KVsetup and a 3s LiPo.
If you want to go this fast, your best bet would be to find a roller on ebay or something and then get the aftermarket motor setup and install it. You won't find an on-road ready-to-race that is going to go that fast, it's just not necessary in a real race.

You'll want a basic chassis like a TC4, take out the diffs and tighten them up with blue loctite so they don't loosen up at very high speeds, you'll probably need to change out the plastic dogbones with something metal like CVDs, and change out the tires to slicks. You'll need a place to drive it that is flat and relatively free of debris, you hit even a little bump at 70mph and that touring car goes flying.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM
skottoman

You say you want to do drifting, then you will need at least 2 sets of wheels/tires. One set for drifting, and one set for high speed.<div>
</div><div>70 MPH + Drifting do not mix.</div><div>
</div><div>Cheers,</div><div>Skottoman</div>
Old 05-26-2009, 07:06 PM
lam1na

If you want 70+ mph, the motor, esc, batteries, and lipo will cost over around or over £200 alone, so be prepared to spend.
If you want to drift and go fast probably best to get something like a TC4 roller used and buy seperate brushless esc and motor.
Then get 2 sets of wheels, one with slicks and drift wheels. So you can go fast and do drifting.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 PM
traxxaspede

For speed you might want to look into getting some foam tires? there more stable, lighter, longer laster and dont 'balloon'. I think take-off is a good brand and so is Jaco. I personally would get a kit, only because there a lot of fun to build. But if you want to spend less money, try ebay, craigslist or RCU marketplace to find a good TC4 roller and then get some good batteries and a good brushless combo.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Druss

Just to clarify...

1. &pound;200 budget
2. 70mph
3. RTR
4. Drifting

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a car out there that will do all of those.

Just trying to get the first 2 would be hard, something like the speet-t w/ lipo would be rtr and 70mph but would probably be a bit over the budget unless you got a really cheap lipo and charger.

As for drifting, any 4wd car can drift with the right tires. You can try with 2wd much more difficult. I can drift my cheapo TT-01 as well as my TA-05.

The TB-02 mentioned is IMO one of the best deals out there but it is a kit. Easy enough to build but you need some supplies or just buy a used on one ebay.</p>
Old 05-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Redvanmafia

you cant handle 70mph</p>
Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: traxxaspede
For speed you might want to look into getting some foam tires? there more stable, lighter, longer laster and dont 'balloon'. I think take-off is a good brand and so is Jaco. I personally would get a kit, only because there a lot of fun to build. But if you want to spend less money, try ebay, craigslist or RCU marketplace to find a good TC4 roller and then get some good batteries and a good brushless combo.
Touring car foams only work better than slicks on a well-prepared surface, ie. one that is swept down and free of any and all debris. On pavement foams can still be very touchy when it comes to grip.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The easiest way I've gotten to 70 mph was with a VXL Bandit. All it took was a 3S lipo, a 35 tooth pinion and removing the wing. Keep in mind that the car was $250 and the Lipo was over $100 at the time. If  you wanted to do it now you could get a Lipo for around $50 and the car is around $240.  You'll also need a Lipo charger and a balancer. 

Old 05-30-2009, 09:52 AM
TIGER76

Your not gonna need 70mph for drifting m8 trust lol</p>

nice cheap drifter tamiya TT-01 or TB series if you can afford it then a cheap ezrun BL setup from ebay or check carsons BL sets in the uk and a decent charger and battery should get your around 40mph,for drifting get the TT a 19turn motor and drift tyres and your set </p>

I think what redvan means its very hard to control a rc at 70mph staying straight is hard enough lol my pede hits 55 and i like to keep it really straight crashes at these speeds are usually total carnage not just a quick fix </p>

</p>