Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Brushed or brushless?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:20 PM
traxxaspede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed or brushless?

I have a TB-02 and I need a new motor. If I stick with brushed, it will be about $45, and I'll get a reedy flash modified 15x2 motor. I'm not sure if I should go brushless, because when I put the VXL in it, I was burning out diffs, even with HPI screws about 1-2 a day. Would a lower turn (higher Kv) motor be easier on the diff? I also dont want to spend too much, and I want a sensored system. are EZRun systems sensored? or should Iget a novak havok. what turn/Kv would be good, if I go brushless. I'm also going to be getting a DX-3 for a 3PM very soonn, maybe even order it this weekend, so I might get a cheaper ($30) 17t brushed motor for now and then save up for a brushless. I'll be able to earn extra money around the house by helping install the new bamboo floor (woohoo!) so a new brushless isn't too far out. with a novak system, am I able to adjust punch control or something similar to help save the diffs? If not, then I might get a mamba max 6900 to use with a 2S lipo. then I can set the punc control really high and save the diffs. But i would really prefer a sensored.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Casper06

Default RE: Brushed or brushless?

If you really want sensored Iwould get the Havoc 8.5 system they are very good for the price. Ihave both Castle and Novak brushless systems and personally prefer my MM for bashing. Idon't know why you are burning up your diffs so often I have a 6900kv MM in my TB02 and haven't had to replace my diffs yet. The only thingIhad to replace were the screws and lock nut but that was my own fault for over tightening them.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:44 AM
traxxaspede

I think its because the 3500kv VXL has a lot of torque. But I also might be doing someting wrong with the differential. I'm using HPI screws, and I tighten them down just until I hear sort of a 'creaking' noise. But they just seem to loosen up within a couple minutes of running. And I got new locknuts, so I know it's not that. And I dont like using threadlock, because then if the screw breaks, I can't get the locknut off and it's a wasted locknut.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 AM
yahman1254
My Feedback: (1)

idk what to suggest but i am in the same situation. have been away from rc for 6 months and i have a tb-02 (all stock parts right now) which needs a motor. i am looking at this until i can afford brushless: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXJAJ4&P=0

if i get this and not a brushless setup then i will also upgrade to lipo and other things like all deans connectors etc.