Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

YOKOMO D-1 Suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
dbramaged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YOKOMO D-1 Suspension issues

I obtained a Yokomo D-1 Drift car from a friend that wasn't fully assembled. I finished putting the thing together but have run into a problem. After assembling the suspension, if you press on the car, the car bottoms out and never rebounds??!?! All four shocks are properly lubed, the swing arms move freely without the shocks, but they stick once installed. I've tried mounting the shocks in different locations and even stiffer springs but the shocks still don't rebound and the car stayed bottomed out. If I pick up the car, the wheels will then rebound, but not always immediately.

I will upload a picture in the morning to show you, but the springs are installed. Again, this is not the first time I've put a kit together, just the first time I had this type of problem. The pistons shafts are fully lubed and rebound smoothly when they are not installed. The swing arm moves freely when the shock is not installed. However, once the shock is installed, it just doesn't rebound until you lift the car off of the ground/table. I tried stiffer springs but the same problem still exists. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade the shocks completely from the stock plastics that come with the D-1 Drift kit to an aluminum or graphite shock assembly or there is something I'm just not seeing.

Thanks for the help. Any random ideas are always appreciated.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Druss

Default RE: YOKOMO D-1 Suspension issues

what oil in the shocks?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
dbramaged

The shocks actually are junk style. They only have a lube on the piston shaft and they are not oil filled!!! According to Yokomo, they are supposed to be this way! Please look at the photos provided:

With the shocks extended, no weight or pressure:

Push down and release and it stays like this:

Again, any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I think I just may have to upgrade the shocks to oil filled graphites.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Druss

I hate friction shocks although I still have them on a TT-01.  Is there any binding in the system?  Try removing the springs then install the shocks on the car and move them up and down to see.  Add more spacers?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
dbramaged

Ok, so Ithink there's something wrong with the car. I took the shocks off my ol' 4-Tec (just about the same length) and the same thing happens! I put the YOKOMOshocks on my 4-Tec and they work fine!!!!!!!!!!!!

I added some longer piston ends so now the car just runs bottomed out the entire time. Oh well, it's just a drift car, right?Anyone want to buy it?HAHAHA