Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Noob to Electric, question about A123

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:50 PM
gifted1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob to Electric, question about A123

Hello,

I just bought a Traxxas Rustler VXL. on ebay. It has two NiMH batteries one 7 and one 8 cell, with charger. Ok... Fine. Iwould like to upgrade by making my own battery packs using the A123 LiFEPO4 batteries. They are 3.3V so I'll do 3s2p set up. Is it better to make two seperate packs 3s1p's and use a cable to make them parallel? I ask because I'm looking into buying a cellpro 10s charger, Ican charge two packs with balancing at the same time. So If Icharge a 3s2p pack with balancing is it asgood as charging 3s1p? I hope I'm being clear, Ihave done a ton of reading about this and it can get confusing.

Thanks for any help....
Old 06-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Druss

Default RE: Noob to Electric, question about A123

I think it would depend on the space you have available for the battery.  If you can I'd make it 3S2P just for ease of use but maybe two separate batteries would work better in terms of space?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 AM
gifted1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Noob to Electric, question about A123

Not sure on the space yet, Iknow they have a battery extended kit for the rustler. I'm more worried about charging, Ithink Ican mod my way to get the packs to fit???? Thanks for the reply.