Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Accurate CG methods

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Accurate CG methods

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Ozmodeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accurate CG methods

Guys

I am sure that this question has been covered many times before. I have purchased a Composite ARF Extra 330L (2.6) and I want to ensure that I can balance the aircraft safely and accurately.

Which method does both?

Thanks in advance
Oz
Old 06-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The instruction should tell you how far from the leading edge the CG location is, I can't tell you where it is though, low wing airplanes should be balanced upside down (pendulum effect makes the airplane more stable as opposed to doing it the other way around), two persons do a better job than one would, hold the airplane by the wingtips at the (extended imaginary line) CG location, use just one finger in perpendicular fashion to the fuselage, a more accurate method can be achieved by building a CG locating stand, but by no means the finger method will ever by outdated, or you can buy a CG locator which is available in the market place.
If the tail goes down, add necessary nose weight as far forward as possible (I like to melt lead in a tin can, let it cool down, cut the can away, drill holes in the lead ballast so it can be held by the engine mounting bolts, but first mount the engine, and use locknuts with rubber inserts, only after the engine is well mounted and secure, the lead ballast is positioned in place and again securely tightened with locknuts and washers, apply Goop or equivalent to the bolt ends, as lead weight being soft, it they vibrate will come loose).
I would look for an airplane that when being balanced hangs nose down about 20 degress or so and even 30 is ok, late you can adjust the balance as you see fit, by adding or removing lead.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:40 AM
TigreST

Check this link here on RCU. May be just what your looking for.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...060&forumid=63

Tonyy
Old 06-23-2003, 05:52 AM
Ozmodeller

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Tony, your method was the one I had read about somewhere but as I am getting on in years things just don't pop into the old gray matter like they used to (just kidding!).

Once again thanks to the both of you for your replies.

Regards

Peter