Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

springs for clutch shoes

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Doctp1885

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs for clutch shoes

I was doing some maintenance on my trunk tonight since I finished a gallon of nitro. Upon inspection, I checked the clutch shoe and noticed one of the shoe was cracked. I took it apart and sure enough one was cracked. the LHS mech didnt have any aluminum shoes so i just got the plastic one at the time. Luckily I ordered some aluminum kyosho shoes and when I put them on, I noticed the springs were thicker and tougher to put on. It appeared the spring would not fit to the pilot nut.

Question: Since I still have the springs from the plastic shoe, I just used them. however, I noticed the thickness of the spring is slightly thinner than the springs I got for the aluminum. I checked the weight between the plastic and aluminum and they were almost the same weight. Can i use the springs from the plastic shoe and use it on the aluminum or should I find some thicker springs that will fit the HPI pilot nut?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:46 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: springs for clutch shoes

Yea you can use those springs. I actually run mugen springs with dynamite aluminum shoes. Mugen has 3 different sizes by diameter. The thicker the springs the higher the rpm the clutch engages.

0.9mm 1.0mm and 1.1mm

I prefer the 0.9 on my f4.6 3speed 16/49 gearing. The 1.1 would just cause sliding on it lid. If you were running a high gear ratio then the hard higher rpm hit would be more welcome. Or if you were running a smaller displacement engine.