Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help Please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:37 PM
timrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please

I have a couple of questions that I put in my build thread, but have had no answers, so I though that I would open to the wider RCU jet community.

Firstly:
I have a problem with the cockpit. I lined up the instrument panel cover with the cockpit tub (see photo. The tub was in place (the rear of tub up against the rear cockpit cover, and all screwed in. I placed the instrument panel (console) in place, and it seemed to be set back too far. The V groove on the bottom of the instrument panel (where I have put "base seated here" in photo) was in place on the floor of the cockpit tub. You can see that the box bit up the top of the panel which was supposed to go under the corresponding part at the rear of the cockpit panel cover is way too far back. Now here's the trouble. If I put the instrument panel in the correct position, the part of the panel that goes between the pilot's legs is too long. If you look in the pictures of the real F-16, this part seems to be 1/2 the size. The other problem is that the instrument panel bottom doesn't touch the floor. Now I know that the panel is supposed to be set back about 4 or 5 mm, but this is back about 25 mm (about 1 inch). Did anyone else find this. I am thinking the part that fits between the pilot's legs needs to be cut in 1/2, and a box of some sort needs to be added to the bottom of the panel so it reaches he floor. By the way, the photo in the instruction book looks like mine. Photos:
1. Position of tub and rear cockpit cover
2. Position of instrument panel cover
3. Console position

Secondly:
How do you cut out these and other vents around the jet neatly? See photo 4.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79245.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1224329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61654.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1224330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85824.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1224331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61433.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1224332  
Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Help Please

I would approach it as though the model and interior was scratch built. That is, make any change you wish. Cut this cut that, reglue, add, take away, simply work it out.

I'm sure you will figure it out.

Good luck,

Charles
Old 06-25-2009, 07:34 PM
timrob

Hi Charles,

I am prepared to make the changes, I was just wondering whether anyone else who had built this had come across the same problem, or if I had made some error. I am sure it is in the wrong position, the pilot wouldn't be able to see the instruments with it set back that far.

Tim.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts

Tim,
It may just be me, but the overall size of the instrument panel looks extremely to small.. Personally i'd find a piece of .030" G-10 and cut a new panel "blank" to the correct size that would allow it to be put back 4 or 5mm. And then start from scratch on the building of the cockpit.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 AM
timrob

Hi Thomas,

Yes I think something is seriously wrong with the panel. The rest looks OK, except for the position of where the panel sits ("V groove on my diagram). I will have to do a search for G-10, and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your help. This should put my skills to the test!

Tim