Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

is the Ofna MBX Pro RTR a decent first nitro rc???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

is the Ofna MBX Pro RTR a decent first nitro rc???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 09:08 PM
flatlander_14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the Ofna MBX Pro RTR a decent first nitro rc???

hello there, ive been browsing these boards for quite some time and posting little tidbits here and there, and you may know that ive changed my mind about 10 times on what kind of rc i want to get well ive narrowed it down... uhh nitro? lol. im kind of impacient so i think nitro is the way to go since you just refuel and you are on your way. i also want an off road vehicle because it is more free and you can take the thing anywhere. i think i am planning on just racing around a field/baseball diamond/parkinglot and i think that a buggy is my best bet for what i want. i would like to eventually race once i get the car in a decent form that is controllable/strong enough to withstand my wreckless driving hehe. i wont really care if i win or not for a while, i will mainly race just for pure enjoyment and to sharpen my skills. this will be my first larger scale rc, and i know you are probably thinking i should go with electric first, but i am aware of all the cleaning and maintainance nitros require so i wouldn't worry about that much. i want to keep the final bill under $450, i will have that in two weeks once i get my paychecks. my other alternative to a buggy was either a stadium truck or a monster truck. if i were to get a stadium truck, i would probably go with the xxx-nt sport RTR but i heard that STs arent really well suited for driving in high grass. the monster truck was my other choice, being either a tmaxx or savage(yes i am aware that this topic is beaten to death enough as it is) but i want speed. and each of those trucks have something wrong with them, the tmaxx needs a new engine because the 2.5 craps out early and the savage has weak dogbones and servos, which isnt quite as costly. what do you recommend out of those things? so far the buggy looks most appealing to me but i want to make sure it is a decent car to invest in, i dont want to be blowing $100 out my ass every time something breaks. :boxing:
Old 06-23-2003, 10:04 PM
cooch1189
My Feedback: (1)

i am about to buy a buggy aswell i found the 1/8 ofna ultra mbx pro rtr it looks good to me it has somegood hop ups and stuff and its $359.99 if you have 450$ to blow you could get something better if you want read my thread it titled ofna 1/8 buggies there may be some info inthere that you could use
Old 06-23-2003, 11:29 PM
flatlander_14

i may have $450, but you have to remember that will need to include fuel, after run oil, a new steering servo, etc... here is what i came up with on tower:

Ofna MBX Pro Buggy RTR

Hitec HS5625MG Speed Servo (.17 sec/109.7 oz-in at 4.8v)

then i will get this kind of stuff at my LHS:

O'Donnel 20% Nitro

HPI Threadlock

Trinity After Run Oil

edit: oh yeah, it comes out to about $430, which will leave me left some money for more fuel/after run oil
Old 06-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Kuma

HS-5625? You don't need digital servos, and they EAT batteries. Go with the HS-625 or 645 for $39, hell a 605BB is alright too.

However the rest are good!
Old 06-24-2003, 02:34 AM
cooch1189

i was talking to some people and they said youll need a new servo but not that good
Old 06-24-2003, 02:34 AM
cooch1189

get a good cheap one that will work good
Old 06-24-2003, 02:43 AM
Kyoshokiller

Any servo with 80 inches of torque or better will steer a buggy just fine. Faster servos, coreless and some of your more expensive models are nice if youre gonna race
Old 06-24-2003, 12:27 PM
flatlander_14

oh i didnt know that digital servos ate the battery so fast and stuff, i guess that would only make sense, but ive never heard that one before ok, so exchange the servo i listed up there for a Hitec HS-645MG Servo and i save $15 at the same time i want to know, is all the stuff i listed compatible with each other? like the servo says:

REQUIRES: Hitec, JR and Airtronics-Z radio system

and the buggy comes with an airtronics Blazer AM radio with z-connector, now i know you are probably thinking "hey dip****, put 2 and 2 together" but i dont want to buy anything and have it not work or not be compatible. anyways, now that the servo issue is covered, does anyone have experience with this buggy? with the extra $35 i have left in my shopping cart, i will probably buy some other kind of upgrade or extra tires or more fuel, any comments on this? or just save it for when something breaks?
Old 06-24-2003, 12:59 PM
whitexj

I would just save it. Yah there are upgrades but wouldnt you rather have a running buggy, than one with a couple upgrades thats broke? IMO thats the best way to go with any car.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:53 PM
flatlander_14

errr ok? lol. ill probably stash away like $20 a week or something and save up for a better radio, maybe a JR xs3 or something else synthesized and 75mhz FM. i was wondering, about how fast does this buggy go out of the box? i was just curious...
Old 06-24-2003, 05:28 PM
flatlander_14

what if i buy the OFNA Hyper 7 Buggy RTR but skip on the servo for the time-being? think i could hold out on buying one for a week or two? i think it's much better for racing, which i would like to do after about a month or so of getting used to this buggy. on tower i got a code for $10 off so the price of the buggy is more like $450, and if thats the only thing i order online it wont seem as expensive to my parents i can probably buy a quart of fuel at the lhs for like $10, and rechargable batteries for the TX/RX while i am waiting on the buggy to arrive. i already have one set of rechargables, so maybe $20 more for two more sets of them. it will just be a pain charging them all on one charger lol, 3 days to charge the damn things
Old 06-24-2003, 05:45 PM
flatlander_14

hey, i just found an OFNA 9.5 RTR at ace hardware hobbies, heres the link:

http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2....oducts_id=3571

which would be better of that and the hyper 7? i know the hyper 7 comes with the 8 ported .21 engine so it is race legal, but the $50 difference could help me out. which do you recommend?

with the ultra mbx pro, i will get an extra servo with a bit of extra cash for more fuel

with the hyper 7, i couldnt afford anything but that and the fuel and stuff

and with the 9.5, i would be able to upgrade the servo or buy extra goodies, etc...

which do you think would be the good way to go?
Old 06-24-2003, 07:50 PM
flatlander_14

bump :sleeping: