Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Where to buy sheets of vinyl to make graphics

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Where to buy sheets of vinyl to make graphics

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
borabora22
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy sheets of vinyl to make graphics

Where do you get large sheets of solid colors of the stuff that wet transfer decals are made from and what is it called?. The stuff that you get with some models that is applied via the wet transfer method. I do not want decals just the solid colors made of the same stuff.

I am looking to apply on top of "Iron on" coverings where there is no balsa underneath. (between wing ribs and formers, stringers, etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Where to buy sheets of vinyl to make graphics

Bora,

I actually make model graphicxs and could sell you all the sheets you need. But it's not necessary. You can actually get this material for free!

Nothing wrong with that!

Take a look at this thread, it will actually tell you how to go about it.

No, I'm not crazy telling modelers how to do this and avoid spending money. I'm actually a life long modeler helping modelers any way I can.

Here's the link, let me know how you made out. OK? OK!

Charles

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8462647

Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 PM
borabora22
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually saw that thread but was unsure on a couple of key points. Is the stuff at sign stores called adhesive backed "cast vinyl"? The type you could peel off the backing and just stick it down?

Can you wet that type of vinyl using the dish soap method and it will slide around allowing you to position?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Avaiojet

"cast vinyl" is the term used for HP or high performance vinyl. This stuff is a tad thinner than "intermediate" vinyl. It also holds up better. 8 years as applied. I've never seen cast vinyl last eight years and look like new.

Is it worth the extra money? I don't think so, but some sign guys will disagree. They have the right to.

HP is generally used on plastic face sign and truck or boat lettering. Yea, I use it from time to time but generally use the 6 year stuff.

HP vinyl is like one coat of paint with an edge. Intermediate is like two coats of paint with an edge. 3 mils VS. 2 mils or a tad thinner.

Yes, wet the surface, you can use spray foam window cleaner, or water with a drop or two of dish soap. Slide it around till it's in position.

Any idiot can do it. I've been applying vinyl since the early 70's. Most of your sign guys don't even know it was around then available in 27" X 20" sheets. Came in about six colors.

Used for backgrounds before applied sign painting. Yes, signs were once painted. Believe it or not.

Charles

Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

If you need a certain color or whatever, and you don't have a sign shop or one willing to give the stuff away you can order vinyl rolls in various sizes from http://www.signwarehouse.com
Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Avaiojet

Andy,

Some suppliers will actually sell the stuff by the yard.

Charles
Old 07-14-2009, 06:28 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

True but a 10 yard roll of cast vinyl costs about 35 bucks shipped from SW or about 85 cents a foot.

I needed a couple of feet for an emergency project and the shops around here wanted between 4 and 6 bucks a foot for 24"
Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These folks treat me real good. I don't buy much cause I'm just a hobbiest but they give me great prices and will cut to what ever length you need in most popular widths.

http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productcart/pc/home.asp