Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Running savage on sand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:58 PM
sparky 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running savage on sand?

I am going to take my savage to the beach and i need to know if there are any modifications needed or available to run it on the sand,

just bought 23mm wheel hex kit and 40 series wheels, and also losi 420 series sand wedge tires for it,

is there anything else i need to do to run on sand?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60425.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1242850  
Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Default RE: Running savage on sand?

Sand is a bit of a nasty substance to run in due to its hardness, and the ease at which it becomes airborne. You'll want to make sure your diff housings and transmission case are tightly sealed, and you'll need to bring several spare air filter elements, as the sand will tend to clog them up quite quickly. It's also a good idea to run a dry lubricant in the drive cups to reduce wear. Sand is largely composed of silica (SiO<sub>2</sub>), which is much harder than any of the materials your Savage is constructed of. Dry graphite spray lubricants work well and will prevent sand buildup in the cups.

When you're finished running in the sand, it's a good idea to tear down the truck and clean the sand from any moving parts.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:10 PM
BudBud

With those Losi 420s and sand, you will probably want to drop a tooth or two on your clutch bell as well. That is a large tire picking up a lot of weight. Your clutch will appreciate the relief as well. Glen
Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

What others said. And make sure that the running is worth it because you may wear quite a few things.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:10 AM
sparky 25

I found this http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...9297&cat=12463

so that should take care of the airfilter problem,

budbud, i just got my dual red fiberglass brakes you suggested and they work great,

will the lrp30 with the dynamite 053 pipe get it tight driving these wheels on sand?

what smaller clutchbell can i run with the 47t steel spurgear on my xss?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
spiftacu1ar

I am also thinking about getting some paddles and hitting a beach. I have a BL savage, so the airfilter isn't a problem, but I was unsure about things like the bearings and drive cups. Drive cups were answered, will the bearings be fine?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:49 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: spiftacu1ar

I am also thinking about getting some paddles and hitting a beach. I have a BL savage, so the airfilter isn't a problem, but I was unsure about things like the bearings and drive cups. Drive cups were answered, will the bearings be fine?
If your bearings are rubber sealed, they will be fine.

Graphite spray lubricant (or a dry molybdenum disulfide based lubricant if you can find it) is good for the drive cups.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:01 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running in the sand is fun! It gets everywhere and into everything, so get yourself an air compressor or a case of canned air because you'll need it to clean up/blow out your truck. Roost it man! I just had my Flux at the Indiana Dunes and it was a total blast.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Revomad1

Those Losi 420 series tires are GARBAGE! I won a full set on Ebay for about $9 and I found out why when I got them. The foams that come with them are WAY TOO BIG to fit inside the tires! The beads on the tires are also too small to work properly on Axial oversize wheels or Proline 40 series wheels. The auction for the tires said they would work with either of those wheels. I have a set of Proline Maxx paddle tires. Here is a vid of them in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz7Ie6lprN0
Old 07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
black mamba

I didn't need paddles to throw major roost at the dunes.........my trusty ol Imex K-Rocks on the rear and HPI Terra Pins on the front did just fine. lol
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: Revomad1

Those Losi 420 series tires are GARBAGE! I won a full set on Ebay for about $9 and I found out why when I got them. The foams that come with them are WAY TOO BIG to fit inside the tires! The beads on the tires are also too small to work properly on Axial oversize wheels or Proline 40 series wheels. The auction for the tires said they would work with either of those wheels. I have a set of Proline Maxx paddle tires. Here is a vid of them in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz7Ie6lprN0
That's still one of my all-time favorite Savage videos.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 PM
eastbound-n-down

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G49BIsXnUw[/youtube]

I ran the ProLine Maxx paddles in real light sand in the second part of this video. They definitely make a difference as far as climbing goes. Not so much for just flat runing, but they do make an awesome rooster tail.

Make sure you've got a good tune and your slipper is tight and if I run again, I plan to gear down to a 16T clutch and maybe 49 spur. The paddles get such good traction that it will bring the RPM down and make the engine work harder. I always use a teflon dry lube, but its pretty much essential for sand. I usually do a full teardown after and it was needed this past time. Compressed air is a must for easy cleanup.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 PM
gonggongboy

I love how the paddles make the sand look like its in layers.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Revomad1

ORIGINAL: black mamba

ORIGINAL: Revomad1

That's still one of my all-time favorite Savage videos.
Thanks Man! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think I spent about 5 hours editing that vid, so I guess that's what made it as good as it is. I still watch it every few weeks and wish I lived near some sand dunes! lol. Too bad i had to delete the music because of the copyright cops!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
black mamba

No dunes in Canada? That sucks. I had to shut my "run" down early......too many people gathered around and I didn't want to hit some little kid. Going back Thursday, maybe I'll take a video this time. lol
Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 PM
sparky 25

Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 PM
sparky 25

Well my losi sand wedge tires showed up today and after taking out the foams and refitting them,

they fitted perfect to the proline 40 series wheel, they look to me to be quality tires,

i also was looking for an outerwears prefilter for sand running but did not want to pay alot for it,

while searching i came across this,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blue-Nitro-Eng...4.c0.m14.l1262

it fits the savage filter great and should prevent sand getting at the filter.

still waiting on my dynamite 053 anodised pipe being delivered, then off to the beach i go.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58329.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1251360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48557.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1251361  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
spiftacu1ar

For running in sand you might try putting boots over the axle to help prevent sand from wearing down the bones/cups. I made another thread explaining how to do this. I haven't tested it bashing yet, but I will let you know once I do. Hopefully they will hold up well.