Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Respirator

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Showtime100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respirator

Will I need a respirator for Nitrate Dope in a shed with a large opening? I haven't popped the lid yet and wondering how toxic this stuff is?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Les Nessman

Default RE: Respirator

Hi Showtime, this is a bit of a loaded question, I don't want to here you were found laying on the floor doing the funky chicken. If painting with other oil base paints does not bother you too much, you will be fine with a large opening for ventilation. If you start to feel light headed better take a break.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Showtime100

Ok, sounds like common sense is needed. I just didn't know how toxic it was and work for an hour with it and find out my lungs are falling apart because I didn't wear a respirator.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Showtime: The Dope only requires a carbon filter mask or an organic mask to paint. Check the mask by putting it on and holding a rag with reducer or lacquer thinner or paint on it next to the mask. If you can smell anything the filters are bad or the mask is loose.

Dope will kill a few brain cells but is not carcinogenic (won't cause cancer). This usually starts an extremely long thread but if you go to the EPA web site it has a lot of things like "May" and "Could" but no definitive results. Dope's main ingredient is MEK and toluene and that's what you need the mask for.

Dope does not require a fresh air breather.

Please do not jump on this and start one of those diatribes about MEK and its inherit dangers. The man only asked if he needed to wear a mask. Yes, a simple one.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chip gives good advice showtime.Remember to store your mask and filters away from the workplace and wrapped or boxed in something.They absorb the enviroment they are in without the need for you to suck any air thru the filter yourself.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Showtime100

They have these at the local hardware store. I'll be sure to pick one up.