Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Starfire Grass takeoff

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Starfire Grass takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 AM
CoolerByTheLake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Starfire Grass takeoff

I have searched every where I can think, and have yet to find a video of a Y/A Starfire, OS/91-Dynamax powered off grass. Can anyone help? I know its old school, but we all can't go EDF or Turbine. Dig deep!!!! Thanks , Mark
Old 08-04-2009, 06:47 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Starfire Grass takeoff

I don't have any video but I did fly my old OS.91 powered JMP Starfire II off of grass a couple of times. I dropped about 15 degrees of flap and it got off in about 200-250 feet. It weighed 12 3/4 pounds.

Here is the only pic of it I could find. The baby in the pic is 17 1/2 years old now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56898.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1250046  
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Are you needing vids as a proof-of-concept thing? I'm asking because I don't have any video, but I have taken my O.S. .91 powered Starfire of of VERY thick and tall grass. That inlet is extremely efficient and will push that bird right up off of the ground or the grass.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: grbaker

Here is the only pic of it I could find. The baby in the pic is 17 1/2 years old now
Does the near 18 year old "baby" have any interest RC jets at all these days? Cool pic
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

got mine off of a really rough grass field.. and I mean really rough...mine was a little over 14lbs. the problem I had was the retract mounts kept breaking out of the wing. But it would take off.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:00 AM
CoolerByTheLake

Thanks, guys. I have a great video of a Y/A F-18 of grass ,OS/Dynamax. Just wanted to see a comparision. Most Starfires are all off of paved runways and EDF. As much as I would like to be with the BIG boys, I will have to start with ICDF. I know its old school, but I already have a complete power package , and it worked way back then, and it still works now. Just not as popular. At least, here at RCU, someone will answer your question. Thank You Very Much. Mark
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Does the near 18 year old "baby" have any interest RC jets at all these days?
She has no interest in RC at all and She doesn't like it when her boyfriend shows interest. But she loves stealing any of my RC related T-shirts.

CoolerByTheLake, that ICDF Starfire may be old school but it's faster than some turbine powered jets and it's a ball to fly. I hope you enjoy it for years.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:57 AM
CoolerByTheLake

I know this post is about a month out, but thanks for you replys. I am kind of back am forth between the Y/A Starfire of the F-18. I have talked with Shaun at Yellow, and he did suggest the Starfire over the F-18, as a starter jet.I know the Sarfire has a grest glide capability, wide gear stance. The F-18 has narrow gear, and perhaps less glide than the Starfire. Also, to do it right, the F-18 would be somewhat more costly. Here's a link to a good F-18 grass take off/landing off grass. http://www.sanfordaeromodelers.com/gallery/clubvids.htm Click on the F-18. This will be a long winter project, and might not get into the air for a year or more. Money is short. The economy isn't the greatest at this time. So I have much more time than $$$$$. Thanks for any replys. Mark.