Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking to buy a truck but?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 AM
ChetRog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a truck but?

I am looking for a truck that will get me into this hobby. I don't know the brands or what I should get for a newbie truck. Maybe you guys can suggest something for me. I want the truck to have forward and reverse. 4wd would be great but not a must. I also would like to keep the cost as low as possible. I wont say a price range because I know its going to be hundreds, and don't want to limit myself to anything. I would also like it to be big. Maybe a monster truck or something like that. The truck also must be electric .I just want this for general bashing. Thanks for any suggestions. I have no idea where to start so im posting this , thanks for your time.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:41 AM
mousecritter
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Looking to buy a truck but?

Look into the HPI E-Savage. I briefly want to mention that it's a 4wd monster truck. Also quite durable, quick and overall great for a beginner. I've smashed and landed badly several times w/ my Esav and it holds up quite well.

Since your main plan is to bash, I suggest you get a monster truck. 4wd + high ground clearance = fun.

It's $270 after Tower $60 membership coupon and completely ready to run w/ batteries, charger, radio etc.

Lastly, I want to mention e-savage.com. It's a great site completely dedicated to the Esav w/ plenty of helpful people.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:17 PM
ChetRog

Is the e-savage about the same size as the Traxxas stampede? The e-savage take 2 battery's correct? I'm curious to know how much better the e-savage is compared to the stampede. I know the 4wd is not on the stampede but do notice the cheaper price. Witch would be great because then i could spend a couple hundred on battery aand charger. Thanks for any more comments.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:17 PM
mousecritter

Yes, their sizes are roughly the same. The Esav is about one and a half inch longer and wider than the Stampede. The Esav is also heavier, which is why two batteries are required. I've never owned a Stampede before, so I couldn't say first-hand which is better. I own and have owned several 2wd vehicles and they seriously lack when it comes to varying terrain. 2wd is fun in its own way and you can always remove one of the center dog bones in the Esav and you can have some 2wd fun. You can't do that with the Stampede.

Also, are you planning on buying lipos? If not, then you don't need to spend "a couple hundred on batteries and charger." This Esav

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPCH5&P=ML

includes a set of batteries and a charger. If you wanted to buy more batteries, they usually cost around $80 for two 6 cell packs. I have two 4200 mah nimhs, which is plenty of run time for me, so I didn't feel the need to buy more than one set of batts.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:00 PM
TIGER76

tamiya blackfoot (2wd)
or wild dagger (4wd)

The pedes a nice cheap MT too
Old 08-15-2009, 07:35 PM
MadManAndrew

The E-Savage weighs 10lbs., the Stampede weighs 3. The E-Savage's top speed is somewhere around 35mph while the Stampede's is around 25. The E-Savage is 4-wheel drive while the Stampede is 2. They're both about the same durability. The E-Savage costs about twice as much though, so, take your pick...I'd also like to throw the E-Maxx in here, it's very similar to the E-Savage except that because of it's chassis and suspension style it handles a bit better, as well as the fact that your lhs will probably carry parts for an E-Maxx, while it wont for the E-Savage.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM
ChetRog

Thanks for the suggestion guys. If I was to buy an e-savage. What would be a good set of batterys to buy. I would want another set so i can have longer running times. I wont know if i need it faster untill i see how fast it goes when i get one "if i get one". I just dont want to have a 10 min run time and then have to charge the battery for hours etc. Thanks for any info. I am also not interested in lipo's at this time. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:43 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: ChetRog
I just dont want to have a 10 min run time and then have to charge the battery for hours etc.
A set of batts that lasts 10 minutes will only need to charge for 15-20 mins with a good peak charger.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Druss

Don't forget about the erevo.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:23 PM
ChetRog

Wow, with all these choices i dont know what to get. Maybe i should just get a stampede because there cheap. I dont know what getting the others will do. I know the 4wd would be cool though. I do want some speed though..lol i dont know still
Old 08-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Druss

I personally prefer 4WD unless there's a reason it's not. Link the slash and sc10 being 2WD, they are scale copies of SC trucks to it makes sense they are 2WD. Other than that I only have 1 other 2WD which is a losi desert truck. Besides that I have 3 x 4WD buggies and 3 x 4WD monster trucks. I also have 3 x 4WD 1/8 nitros (2 buggies and 1 truggy).

If you're really going to be using it off road most of the time I'd always suggest 4WD if you can afford it.

The Pede is a nice enough entry level truck but not as durable as the other choices and is a bit limited due to 2WD, just my opinion though.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:32 AM
mousecritter

ORIGINAL: ChetRog

Thanks for the suggestion guys. If I was to buy an e-savage. What would be a good set of batterys to buy. I would want another set so i can have longer running times. I wont know if i need it faster untill i see how fast it goes when i get one ''if i get one''. I just dont want to have a 10 min run time and then have to charge the battery for hours etc. Thanks for any info. I am also not interested in lipo's at this time. Thanks again.
I own a set of these

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LM0754&P=7

Tower sells them at a discount rate for two packs. You save about $3 over the normal $39.99 price. You can save a little more with their membership coupon too. I get really good run times with those batteries... maybe 30 minutes? I've never timed the runtime so I couldn't give you an exact time, but it's plenty for me.

I've heard good things about http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/main.asp?sid=2030525

you can select which vehicle you have and the site will recommend which batteries to buy.

I've also heard good things about http://www.promatchracing.com/products.php?cat=26

Their prices are really nice too.

As someone mentioned earlier, batts that only last 10 minutes won't be charged for more than 20-25 minutes. Those 4200 mah batts I have require about an hour to be fully charged.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 AM
ChetRog

Thanks again guys. I have some more questions about the e-maxx and the e-savage. Will they both do wheelies from a stopped position and being stock of course? I want something that will wheelie for sure. Also do they both upgradible "without lipo or brushless" to make them go faster. I wont need it right away but would like to think of the future. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 PM
mousecritter

I don't know about the Emaxx (simply because I don't own one), but my stock E-savage can easily wheely from stand-still.

As for upgrades for speed, there isn't much you can do without upgrading the power-plant (motors, esc and/or batts). You could use lighter parts, but the increase in speed is negligible. If you want more speed, it's best to buy stronger motors or take the brushless route. Any car/truck can handle a different motor, you just have to make sure there's space and the ESC can run them.

The Emaxx has more aftermarket support (such as arms, chassis, etc.), but that doesn't mean the E-Savage lacks in optional parts.

http://www.e-savage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4823

The above link has the full list of aftermarket parts made for the Esav. There's some more on the second page, also.

If you're stuck between the E-Savage and Emaxx (like how I was), then read up on both and it'll help you decide. I went with the E-savage because of the price, more speed, and durability.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 PM
ChetRog

Thanks again for the info, you have been very helpful. I am stuck between the e-maxx and the e-savage. One more question . Can the E-savage be made "with parts" to be wider and longer like the e-maxx. The main thing i like about the e-maxx is its size.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Druss

Have you actually seen both in the store? At this point you've gotten a lot of points of view. If this is your first hobby grade RC then you're going to enjoy it regardless of what you buy as both are good trucks.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
ChetRog

I havent seen them in any stores. I will call around tomorrow and see if a few places stock them. I kinda live in a place that doesnt have any thing, but i am going into the city tomorrow. Do most stores have displays of the trucks? I only ask because the last store i was in didnt have that many on display. Thanks again guys. I will def call before i head out tomorrow and try to see them in person.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 PM
mousecritter

I'm not sure what you mean by "made 'with parts.'" There are several extended chassis options. Here's one: http://gcmachine.ca/index.php/rcstuff/rb2x

You can also purchase extended arms: http://gcmachine.ca/index.php/rcstuff/exarm

Here's a pic for size comparison between the stock Esav and Emaxx. It's not mine. I forgot who I "borrowed" it from.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50867.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1258369  
Old 08-18-2009, 01:08 AM
ChetRog

Great picture. I am pretty sure i will get an e-savage, but have a question that i hope anyone can answer. On the tower hobbie website it says that the e-savage will only hold 6 cell batterys. I being a total newb to this dont know if this is just a tray that the battery sits in or what. I only ask because if down the road i want to upgrade and put in a bigger battery "7 or 8 cell" would it be possible. Thanks again
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 AM
mousecritter

If you want to fit a 7-cell in the Esav, you'll have to cut a hole in the middle of the battery tray for the hump-style 7-cell pack.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your Esav as much as I enjoy mine.