Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:33 PM
jc02viper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy?

Iam buying my sons (12 &14) new RC's. I would like to stay around $300 each. They have never done anything with RC's except play around with their older brother's nitro RC. They seem to be stuck on the nitro opposed to electricor brushless electric. They are motocross riders and have alot of that on the edge mind set. With that being said, I need something that will not fall apart as soon as they start "dogging" it a little and I do not want to have to be "tuning" them or working on them all the time (I have enough of that with the motocross bikes). Please leave me your suggestions.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 06:16 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Default RE: What to buy?

My first nitro was the RC10GT and I still have it to this day.
(Actually I just bought another vintage GT this year so now I have 2.)
So for a good entry level nitro RC I would recomend the GT2.
From what I've heard it is just as reliable as the original GT that I have.
The GT2 comes with the AE .15 engine.
It is a good basher and also a good racer if they want to race them in the future.
If you break the plastic arms just replace them with RPM parts.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPAC9&P=SM
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...c/GT2Parts.htm

Here's a vid of my RC10GT after 10+ years of running.
Still running the stock O.S. .12 that came in it.
(I have done a few mods)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mMSUJhBvA[/youtube]

Or for a monster truck the MMGT3.0 is good from what I've heard.

Hope that helps, SLAYER

Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Chris_RC

One thing to remember, they WILL have to work on them to operate right. So if you buy these, will your kids not work on them? They are very easy to work on and when I was younger I could completely dissemble cars and put them back together. Think of it as 75% driving, 25% maintence if you are just bashing around. Find out if there are any tracks around you, the guys there will help you out alot.

Do you want 2wd, 4wd? Do you want something that handles and jumps great like a buggy or something that doesnt handle very well but is more of an AT vehicle, a monster truck.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:26 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

I would say go with Buggies... OFNA and Caster make some good entry level stuff, and 1/8 scale vehicles are just plain tougher...
Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: djzachtyler

I would say go with Buggies... OFNA and Caster make some good entry level stuff, and 1/8 scale vehicles are just plain tougher...
+1, I would reccomend the Hyper 7 TQ Black, it is $275 at nitrohouse.com. Also a truggy might interest them, the Thunder Tiger ST-1 is $300 at amainhobbies.com. Also Caster and CEN make some good models.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also consider 1/10 scale Kyosho Readysets, very easy to tune and work on, and great performance for the price. Kyosho gets less publicity these days, especially on the internet, but their quality is top notch. Parts aren't hard to find, but can be harder than HPI, Traxxas, Losi, etc.