Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

CG on aeroworks Extra 33% ARF question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

CG on aeroworks Extra 33% ARF question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG on aeroworks Extra 33% ARF question

Is the recomended cg of 1/2 to 3/4 inch to far back? I have been told that the instruction manual is wrong, it should be 1 1/4 inches in front of the wing tube.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Dave763

Ok I talked to Aeroworks. The cg recomended in the instructions are not "wrong"! However, to make it a little less sensitive on the pitch we can move the cg forward (1 1/4" in front of the wing tube),and go with 10 or 11 degrees elevator. I'll sneak up on the reward cg a little at a time as I become aquainted with the plane.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:45 PM
drandles
My Feedback: (8)

Default We don't need no stinking CG!

I don't remember exactly where I put the CG. I have a DA-100 up front for power. I have DS8411's all around. Two 8411's in a pull-pull configuration - mid ship. I first had the batteries as far up front as possible - two of them in the motor box and one just behind that. My brother came over and suggested that I put the wings on but leave a little gap and put a rope around the wing tube to balance it. We balanced it that way and I flew it - whew! - that was fun to land. I moved the batteries back up front (Two 2700 mah NiMH for reciever and one 1800 Nicad for ignition). She flies nice but she will make you a better pilot as the tail will drop if you bring it back all the way to an idle and you "let" the nose come up. The secret is throttle management - keep the engine pulling even if it is just a little and barely breath on the elevator. I even burp the throttle at times on approach.

There is no real danger though. At around 26 pounds this plane never stalls. I added flaps (flaperons) for landing and that helps remove any porpoising. With a 10 mile an hour wind she'll land at a crawl!!

I never measured where the CG was. I had an IMAC contestant test fly the plane and he said don't move a thing - it is perfect. He was geeked at being able to do knife edge, snap, and continue knife edge as though he hadn't varied a micron from his original path. He did this from left knife edge, inverted, and then right knife edge.

It is one of the easiest planes I've tried to torque roll.

Dale
Old 06-30-2003, 06:04 PM
Dave763

Thanks, sounds like you found the sweet spot to balance it, now if I only knew where that was.....?