Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Nervous twitch?

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Nervous twitch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM
klonaton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nervous twitch?

I just had a bit of a high-speed encounter between my fridge and Novus CX. Now it has a twitch in the yaw, and I can't figure it out. I've toyed around with the gyro gain a bit, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. I've removed and re-mounted the main gears, and everything down there seems good.

Have you ever experienced the twitch, or have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
farmyjupiter6

Default RE: Nervous twitch?

Hey Brother, I too had the twitch you mentioned. I noticed you sent this post a few months ago, so you may of moved on. fixed it, or got another. I'm on my 3rdNovus CX!! The first two were replaced no questions asked by my LHS. The twitch is more pronounced over several dozen flights. My first CX I crashed (not badly) a few times. It started the yaw twitch shortly thereafter. No amount of gyro, trim or tie rod adjustment would correct it. I brought it back and the LHS said it was a bad gyro. The second one was great out of the box, no problems until about 20 flights in. Once again a few bumpy landings, butnothing at all bad as I was getting much better with the heli. Then that damn twitch started one morning without any warning!! The unit worked perfectly the night before. The twitch got so bad that the unit auto-rotated itself uselessly to the ground. Now, this time I did some research and found out that the Novus CXhad several hundred if not thousands of units with shotty e-Boards! Some boards would apparently just stop utilzing the gyro softwareproperly and the unit would not be able to maintaina directional. I went in to the LHS armed with this info and the owner said he never had any problems before.(I doubt that, why would you give a guy 3 new heli's over the courseof three weeks if you didn't think there was something suspect? I'm sure hegets reimbursed from Heli Max for each one.) He again offered me a THIRD one! That was last week.(10/29/09) I've had Zero crashes, I have completely mastered all aspects of CoAxflight and have also noticed that trim on this unitmust be done SLOWLY...I do remember that the first two would respond with thetwitch much more pronounced withadjustmentsthat weren't one slow click at a time..Too fast and the unit seemed to be lost and unable to respondto the trim command, almost like it was trying to process the input to the receiver. I have enjoyed this one more than the other two out of shear joy over it's reliability so far...It is nerve racking however,to turn the unit on and wait for the binding process to finish, waiting,hoping that the unit willwork properly. If this one goes I'm getting my money back and moving away from Heli-Max. I've gotten comfortable enough flying this that I want to either move on to another, albight more reliablecoax unit or perhaps the E-Flite Blade MSR..sorry for the long read..Cheers
Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Sasquatchin

Idid not have the twitch on my Novus CX, it just plain up stopped working correctly. It had no power, would not lift more then a foot off the ground (if that), once the heli warmed up a bit.

It was sent back to Heli-Max, and they replaced the entire kit (heli, controler, etc). Ihave heard tons of stuff regarding the shoddy electronic's that H-M uses. Ihave not had issues with it since though.

Ido own an AXE CPv3 that has had no issues (other then my crashing it) as well.

Idid also buy the novus CP, but it was constructed so poorly, Itook it back after less then a full battery charge. (you can read about it in my blog)
Old 11-13-2009, 12:58 PM
farmyjupiter6

Well I guess I spoke too soon....Good morning there BTW. Since my posting last week this 3rd heli has been running smoothly. SMOOTHLYthat is until last night. I noticed that it started develpoing the twitch yesterday morning..(Frigen Heli-Max..Thats 3 now!) I called Heli-Max on the way to work and the guy there said without hesitation "Sounds like the ones your LHS is selling may benot up to OUR CURRENT standards of quality control." He further expunged by saying that when Heli-Max started rebadging these Walkera Lama's there was a lapse on Walkera's part to ensure proper R&D. Nonetheless it sounds like my LHS has a whole lot of bad units. He said he would send me out a new E-Board. Funny, there are two postings on the Heli-Max sight under the Novus CX header, one how to tighten the blades as such to quell the toilet bowl effect. The second, how to install an E-Board..interesting. Back to last night..I decided to fly the hell out of it since I've got a new boardon the way. I turned it on, layed it on the kitchen counterand throttledit up..One inch up that is! ***!!?? I thoughtI charged this battery? On to another battery. Same thing. 3rd battery, Yup. Same.It looks great skirting across my wood floors, but it wont hover or even throttle completely. Same as yours did itsounds like. This one NEVER crashed either. Very frustrating. I told my hobby shop thatthis 3rd one fried the E-Board. He's like "C'mon down pardner, I will replace it!" No thanks I said. I'm going to install the board when it comes.How long has this new one yourflying been in your possesion? Days, weeks, months? I'm hoping this board corrects the problem. I also have the E-Flite Blade CX3, I dont like flying itas much as the Novus. TheNovus is smaller, faster,and more manuverable. Oh,well.Such is life in the world of RC heli addiction! Peace.