Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Scale Competitions in Ontario, Canada

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Scale Competitions in Ontario, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM
ccrebidoux
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Competitions in Ontario, Canada

Hi,

Just throwing this out there and trying to see what kind or feed back we can get. This is mostly geared to Ontario flyers, if you're from the other provinces please feel free to read on & feel free to add some insight to help us!

A few years ago, I tried my hand at scale competition. I found it to be alot of fun and added quite a bit to my flying experience rather than just wizzing around boring holes in the sky. Not that there is anything wrong with that, the competition added a different dimension to flying.

I found that there was only one competition in Ontario (that I know of), The Kawartha Lakes Scale Competition.

It seems that scale competitors have somewhat of an Elitist image to us (deservedly or not, I'm not sure) We'd kinda like to break that image and see if we could get more people interested in trying and participating in scale competition.

One of the first things we'd like to do is find out how much interest there is in more scale competitions? This year at Kawartha there were 6-8 competitors, there were events going on the same week end (Giant Scale in Kingston) and the possibility of bad weather which may have been major contributors. (myself, I cracked up my plane the night before )

So, who's interested in more scale competitions in Ontario? You don't have to be a competitor, maybe you'd like to spectate? If we are to do another competition in Ontario, we will probably have to search out a donor club to have the competition at, where we would have to provide the manpower to run the show. Maybe you'd be willing to help out?

I'm asking this because as I said there is only 1 competition Ontario. And I don't want to wait around for "somebody else" to do it. If we want to compete more we have to be willing to step up and try to make it happen.

I await your replies.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Scale Competitions in Ontario, Canada

Chris,

Count me in!!, ive sent u pm on RCSB regarding it.

Sounds like good completion under planning. Id suggest venue to be east of London ON, this way guys from eastend (Toronto vicinity) and Quebec could easily be part of it too.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Well, I wish you good luck on that, I really do. But I traveled some 700 miles to attend a World Scale Championships held at a small, farming community, in Southern Ontario, some five or six years ago. This was far from any major, population center. ALMOST NO ONE CAME. Oh, lots of competitors from all the usual countries but very few spectators. The beer garden had some 200 chairs that were occupied by perhaps 7 or 8 people. I'm not even sure that they served any,, beer that is.

Best look into that and find out how to avoid what went wrong.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:26 PM
ccrebidoux
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for your comments Andy,

I was also there for the Worlds in 2002 (ya, it was that long ago) as a volunteer.

You're right about the audiences, but as a general rule the scale competitions aren't well attended because there usually is only one plane at a time in the air being judged and the next plane may be 1-2 or maybe 5 minutes after the last plane landed, in the eyes of a spectator (unless you're a competitor) Boooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnggg!!!! That's fine, most competitions are for the competitors anyway. I have started this group, and I'm hoping to set up this competition as a competitor. I would like to compete more and I'm hoping we can get more individuals involved to set up more.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 PM
jaysplains

hey all i just like say i,m all in on the scale in ontario i love scale.i,m try to biuld 2 new planes this winter . i,m working on 1/10 fokker 60 and hope to get the d8 flying razer done for this summer 2010 to and hope to see more poeple in 2010
Old 11-30-2009, 07:24 PM
jaysplains

here some fokker 60 pic,s and some biuld pic,s
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23835.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1323837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11211.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1323838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12092.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1323839  
Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Props4ever

Looking good Jay, Fokker F27s and F50s are one of my favorite twin engine turboprop airplanes also. I don't think there is any designation offered by Fokker aircraft as "Fokker 60", i believe you mean by Fokker 50..

Will you be sheeting the foam parts or fiber glassing them directly?, plus did you hollowed out the fuselage from the middle or it's still solid sections?. What sort of power system are you going to install on this model plus what about retractable landing gears...

Sam

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43522.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1349685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91767.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1349686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99849.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1349687  
Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 PM
ergocentric

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

I don't think there is any designation offered by Fokker aircraft as ''Fokker 60'', i believe you mean by Fokker 50..
Hopefully you won't be judging because your research is faulty. I found four Fokker 60 aircraft.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 PM
ergocentric

ORIGINAL: ccrebidoux

Hi,

Just throwing this out there and trying to see what kind or feed back we can get. This is mostly geared to Ontario flyers, if you're from the other provinces please feel free to read on & feel free to add some insight to help us!

I await your replies.
as with most funflys on up to national competition; it all starts with a contest director and a call to the zone director or committee chair
Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: ergocentric

I don't think there is any designation offered by Fokker aircraft as ''Fokker 60'', i believe you mean by Fokker 50..
Hopefully you won't be judging because your research is faulty. I found four Fokker 60 aircraft.
My research is not wrong as i was going on with civil version of Fokker F50, i didn't knew military version/variant of Fokker 50 is Fokker 60, in other wards its same aircraft with different variant. Something new i learned today....

Other thing is judging is done on based of data builder provides to the judges, judges themselves don't carry data for every aircraft type out there as they have no clue what to expect for judging at the competitions...I have done judging at couple of different model contests in past.

Sam
Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 AM
ergocentric

My research is not wrong...
Simply incomplete.
We should not allow conclusions about someone's project based on opinion.
I'm sure wireless internet access will change the face of competitions in the future. (Google 'wiki fokker 60' and you'll find that Fokker)
As the MAAC rules stand now (not absolutely sure since it was over a year ago) the competitor has to bring documentation and that documentation needs no bona fides.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Props4ever

Ha ha we'll make sure you are the head judge in all Canadian scale competitions from now on, make sure you carry all the data and documentation of all sorts of planes with you....enough said let the guy build his model and i'm fine with my knowledge of aircrafts but there is always space for positive learning...
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM
ergocentric

we'll make sure you
Back on topic please, Scale competitions in Ontario

anyways, I've only volunteered at IMAC and Scale Combat, love to see a scale competition nearby
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Isn't it wonderful that we have so many experts on everything to set the record straight. No room whatsoever for human error or honest opinion.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Wolflord

Chris I wish you luck I think it would be a good idea to have another competition as it might promote more people to try a different part of the hobby or get into the hobby.