Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Aeroworks Edge 540T

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Aeroworks Edge 540T

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aeroworks Edge 540T

I finally got my Aeroworks Edge 540T from Lester's Hobbies in Nakusp, B.C. Its non- flashy box was within another shipping box and it arrived in my hands in really good shape. The covering is better than what I would have been able to achieve. Upon close inspection of all the laser-cut joints and seams, there is a very clean liberal application of CA or epoxy. The fiberglass nose and wheel pants are super clean, paint wise and trimming. The hardware is of top quality and I am sooo looking forward to the build and its completion. But first, I thought I'd ask for any recommendations before I begin the assembly. I plan on powering it with my Saito .91. It's going to be 2.4ghz on a 2700 6V rx pack. I've got 4 DS821 70 oz digital servos from the DX7 flight pack, 4 hs645mg's, 2 hs475hbs. Not sure whats the best to use where.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:36 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks Edge 540T

Use the minimum recommended on all surfaces...but def give the best youve got on the rudder. Should fly really well with the satio 91. Ive got a saito 100 in mine and its tons of power. So you should be fine.

This little plane is a beast and alot of fun to fly. You'll see!

Go here for alot of great info:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3517297/tm.htm
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Revy

That was a lot of reading! Thanks for the link.

I got it done in, ready to start the motor and taxi trial. Two days from box to sittin' pretty. The only real tough thing to do was install the tank with a Sullivan fuel valve. The design has changed to include a larger tank. Mine came with a 450cc tank. The plane is different than the instructions in that regard. For the fuel tank cut out in the fuse, I had to notch the corner to allow clearance of the throttle linkage. Other than that, it went fairly smooth besides the fact I was chasing my 3 1/2 year old around! LOL. We can't wait to put some fuel in and fire this puppy up!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Revy

After a bit of fartin' around trying to balance and gettin' the flyin' gremlins outta the motor (first run since Mid-Star crash), I had my maiden flight! WOW!! I had only a short flight of about 6-7 minutes, but WOW! I ran with a 14x8 on %15 and cannot believe the response! Had experienced that wing drop upon landing but I had enough speed to correct and land OK, not the best one I've had, but definitively not the worst! This is the kinda fun I've been after! Soon, after a few more flights, I'll go a little extreme with it. Anyone into sport planes, get one! Price point cannot be beat!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM
ro347

I sorta had the same initial reaction as you did. Once I got the CG set right.... it totally changed. The plane would just float on idle and would just do anything you want it to. Inverted was almost hands off. I love this plane!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:41 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RevyMaxx

After a bit of fartin' around trying to balance and gettin' the flyin' gremlins outta the motor (first run since Mid-Star crash), I had my maiden flight! WOW!! I had only a short flight of about 6-7 minutes, but WOW! I ran with a 14x8 on %15 and cannot believe the response! Had experienced that wing drop upon landing but I had enough speed to correct and land OK, not the best one I've had, but definitively not the worst! This is the kinda fun I've been after! Soon, after a few more flights, I'll go a little extreme with it. Anyone into sport planes, get one! Price point cannot be beat!

That was a good maiden! Be sure to get yerself a good 14-6 wood prop so u can put yer lock nut back on. You don't want it to back fire and spin the prop off in the air [X(]

I was going to suggest a xoar but I see they don't make a 14". They start at 15" But,!!! You could run a 15-6 with 25%
Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM
ro347

Actually Xoar does make 14" go here.....http://www.abellrc.com/abellrchome.html
Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Revy

Got a 14x6 Zinger on it now. Gonna go out to the field tomorrow evening and check it out.

Thread is useless without pics, sooo...

The set up...

Where I had to stash the battery to get proper cg...

Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
ro347

Very Sweet! You'll love this plane once you get everything dialed in.

If you start to break alot of wood props...Just use an APC for the time being even though Xoars are said to be better for faster spool up. However the APC works well, should be better than the MAS - alot less flexing. I tried a Xoar prop and broke it without even taking off. I was pissed. So threw the APC back on.

Interesting, my landing gear is red, your's is white. Im jealous!!!

Also looks like you have an amazing field to fly at. Jealous again...Enjoy!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Revy

Thanks for the help guys.

Your welcome at our field anytime!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

What is the total weight without fuel? I'm considering getting one but won't if it is too heavy.

Terry in LP
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

good setup...dont forget to check the thread on the 3d flying...we are always posting new things there...lol.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Revy

ORIGINAL: anuthabubba

What is the total weight without fuel? I'm considering getting one but won't if it is too heavy.

Terry in LP
I haven't had it on a scale but I put it under 6lbs w/o fuel, best guess. You won't be disappointed!

ORIGINAL: f5air

good setup...dont forget to check the thread on the 3d flying...we are always posting new things there...lol.
Thanks, I'm kinda in a different category now I guess, lol! I am payin' more attention to the 3D threads 'cuz I can actually DO some of that crazy stuff now!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:01 PM
ro347

If youve got a 4stroke 91-100....you'll be very very happy!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ro347

Very Sweet! You'll love this plane once you get everything dialed in.

If you start to break alot of wood props...Just use an APC for the time being even though Xoars are said to be better for faster spool up. However the APC works well, should be better than the MAS - alot less flexing. I tried a Xoar prop and broke it without even taking off. I was pissed. So threw the APC back on.

Interesting, my landing gear is red, your's is white. Im jealous!!!

Also looks like you have an amazing field to fly at. Jealous again...Enjoy!
LOL, I was caring my 50cc Ultimate out the door with my brand spankin new 22-8 xoar and I cliped the tip on the door jam, [:@]"kachunk!"[:@]

[&o] $40, oops... The xoar are very brittle at the tips but the difference in power between my zinger pro 22-8 and my xoar 22-8 (good unbroken one) is outstanding. Honestly makes the difference between a pull out and flopping over in its back!! not kidding. Plus the zinger was giving me 6900 rpm and the the xoar gave me 6600 but had WAY more pull.

We are spoiled with such a nice field. Here is a better pic of our field. I took this in July of this year. The water is up but for the most part stays out 300-400 feet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91511.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	1276327  
Old 12-10-2010, 04:51 PM
fuelie

nice to hear good things bout the aeroworks 540. got one on the way. i been away from hobby bout 4 yrs. i been flyin fun star 40 size last few weeks. cant wait to get 540. i was hoping it would be a good performer !!