Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Retrieval boats?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Retrieval boats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Scott.b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrieval boats?

Was wondering of someone has used a different boat to retrieve a stalled boat,I do know about the tennis ball/Fishing rod mod 'lol' but after seeing others kill them selves I was thinking of an easier alternative..Thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 05:38 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Retrieval boats?

I think its a good idea to have an electric boat to maybe retrive your stalled fuel type boat. Or maybe have a setup that the electric boat drags a line out to a hooked setup to your fuel type boat and then you reel it in slowly or tow the stalled boat back. Or no lines and just push it back. I have been looking at the tug type boats for this. But I havent broke down to by one yet. I have used my proboat mini C to push my GKOS back to shore. But its not something I would do alot of being the mini C is so small. Not to mention the stock radio in the mini c is kind of quirky once it gets a little far off.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Scott.b

I was kinda thinking the same thing.Finding a electric boat'inexpensive and maybe cutting out a horse shoe shape design to kind of scoop it up.Now being my boat is 54 inches I think im going to be SOL on finding a cheap boat for my needs.I am also concerned about the radio distance on cheaper boats..
Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Scott.b

FYI I meant to say a peice of styrofoam cut out to a horse shoe shape.Wheres the damn edit button..lol
Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 PM
3ns

This is my recovery boat build from left over plywoods. She is slow but gets the job done, she can push or tow a boat back.
I've found that Hydro's are better off being pushed than towed from the back. Currently she is in docks for Rudder replacements.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23868.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1278556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60667.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1278557  
Old 09-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Scott.b

Thats pretty damn cool right there.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:25 PM
bondobuster

Used to use a zig-zag racer but it crapped out on me. Now use an Aquacraft Reef Racer. Much better boat as it is more watertight. Same basic boat just not as "toylike" in quality. Works well with the pushbar that is supplied with the zig-zag. Just get in behind the stalled boat and push her home. Cheers.....
Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 PM
dicko

This is what I use when I don't have a dingy with me, I copied it from someone else & plenty of people have copied it from me. It works a treat. I added an extra rudder and a larger prop to the stock hammer for better control in recue missions. It works for my 50" cat, 45" monos & nitro tunnels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99987.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1279195  
Old 09-21-2009, 02:54 PM
monsterbrad

I use a traxxas villian
works every time
Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
impba3548

ORIGINAL: Scott.b

Was wondering of someone has used a different boat to retrieve a stalled boat,I do know about the tennis ball/Fishing rod mod 'lol' but after seeing others kill them selves I was thinking of an easier alternative..Thanks
This is the way we do it in St louis, works every time..........

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...19/fVPjuybDGZI
Old 08-11-2010, 12:07 PM
team esp

Used a Zig-Zag Racer and did fine, but upgraded to a deal I got on a new Aquacraft Atlantic Harbor Tug for something like $150 off ebay. It has no problem with our 60"+ boats and runs at a predictable speed for getting exactly where it needs to. The strong motor and stock prop give you plenty of power to pull in boats that are waterlogged or sinking. I run a high MAH Rx battery and park it out of the way on the water until it's needed. Besides that it's fun to mess with on its' own or let the kids drive.

I still need to finish a Smit Nederland from Billings Boats I have sitting in the box. I've seen those higher end ones pull people around in canoes at the lake.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Jon DesJardins

Good old reel with a 42" teather line and an official softball since its softcored and still has weight.
Has worked everytime out at the local pond when boats need to be retreived!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Johnnysplits

I clip the line from a fishing rod to the back of a cheap electric boat. I run it out to the stalled boat, go 1 1/2 times around it, then grab the fishing rod and reel in the two boats at the same time.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
dawg1200

I also use the Aquacfaft Atlantic Tug For A retreival boat, and made a u shape from pvc pipe and swim noodles to get my gas boat back</p>
Old 08-12-2010, 10:50 PM
5bbasher
My Feedback: (3)

i made one similar to what dicko has......... i used a cheap ebay boat, 1/2" pvc and swim noodles to make the fork and it works good.

but after watching that video from impba3548 i think i will give that method a try<br type="_moz" />
Old 08-13-2010, 12:47 AM
dicko

Depending where I go & who with I use several methods. Up the river or at the races we use a small fishing boat to drive out & get them, at the local pond with others around we either walk out (it's waist deep) or use the ball on a line method. By myself I at the pond I use a method like the one impba3548 uses. At the larger ponds where it is too far to cast or use a line without getting it tangled I use the retrieval boat with the fork on the front. Sometimes I take more than one method with me & choose depending on the situation.

I NEVER SWIM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Serpents Den

aye i use another retrival system and with using the Atlantic harbor tug from Aquacraft as well.....i have 20 ft of fishing line attached to the back of the boat, and an empty 16oz Coke bottle at the end of that...instead of using a fishing reel, the boat itself tows it back to shore for me...