Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster Paint

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:10 AM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skymaster Paint

I am expecting a Skymaster F-86 any day now. I am trying to find out what kind of paint they use because I am getting a painted one but want to do a little extra detailing and some mild weathering... so I need to know what I am dealing with. For some reason my emails to them have gone unanswered...

Mainly I need to know if it is Epoxy based or not...
Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster Paint

Welcome to the Skymaster waiting Lounge. Make yourself comfortable - it will be a while.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:24 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

I'd ask your Skymaster dealer to ask for you.

I'd imagine Anton gets hundreds of mails a day from all over the globe asking stuff. If I were him I would prioritise answering my dealer's questions??
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
crhammond

Yea I tried that route and they didn't get back to the dealer either. No reply from Anton or the USA guys.
I've been waiting a LONG time for the jet... which is okay except I was told it would be a couple of weeks when I ordered and now its 3 months later... just wish they would have said that up front. I hope the wait is worth it - I hear ya FalconWings
Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know Bill Broderik did some re-painting of his Viperjet to get the paint scheme he wanted. I'll p.m. you is e-mail address.

Chris, nice to see you moving into jets and looking forward to seeing you in Princeton next year.

PaulD
Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Welcome to the Skymaster waiting Lounge. Make yourself comfortable - it will be a while.
LOL !!!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM
crhammond

Hey Paul - I've been doing Scalemasters (just fun scale) for 3 years as well as being very involved in IMAC and Pattern. I am still the IMAC ARD for Alberta/NW Zone but I am planning to stay closer to home next year. I like all aspects of this hobby. Jets are just awesome... as is IMAC/Pattern etc. But once I flew the SPark and went to a coule of events I was well hooked

I'm hoping to make Princeton next year. We are going to have a "big" Rally here as well... in the planning stages.

I'm having a lot of fun with the Spark and the Sprint. The great thing with the Sprint is I can fly it from just about anywhere including the local grass fields. My Spark needs asphalt and so will the F-86 I'm guessing (especially with the drop tanks on.) I have 6 flights ont he Sprint and have a turbine (Rabbit) that is working great now... I hope to be flying some IMAC with it in short order Right now it is way nose heavy but I hope to burna can of Jet-A tonight and get it trimmed out some more.

I am doing my F-86 as Hawk One. I saw Hawk One at the Airdrie air show and just had to do one. Skymaster were/are doing some custom paint on it for me to take away some of the work... but I plan to add some detail, light weathering etc. Not go nuts but enough to make a "respectable" Scalemasters Advanced entry for the local contest. Hence the need to know what the paint is so I can weather it without removing, bubbling or somehow destroying it
Old 10-01-2009, 12:17 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't answer your question as to if their paint is epoxy based or not, however I have sprayed epoxy paint as well as enamel (Model Master) paint over the Skymaster paint. There has been no adverse reaction between the paints. Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:59 PM
fasteddi

hi schroedm

do you really think thats the way anton has to handle his customers? how i will understand his politics- he sells directly to customers around the world. and he do it with first get paid and than long time waiting. so than in my opinion he has to answer mails as well. i will not buy from people when there is no service!
and i am thinking (and hope) that i am not the only one.........

Uwe
Old 10-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Selleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jetpower might have something to do with the long delay. And don't forget that emails can get lost. []

I've usually had prompt reply to my emails from them and I aint no dealer.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:06 PM
FalconWings

I'm working with Anton and John directly. I tried placing an order with Jeff Tolomeo, whom I bought the kit from, but no luck. I even called to comfirm the order was placed......no luck. He told me he was going to place the order........contacted Anton to ask about the status........order was never placed. [:@]
Funny though Jeff did answer my F-16 order right away. Am I seeing a trend here?

I now have been dealing with Anton and John directly........we'll see. I shoot them an email or a PM on a weekly basis to touch base. Soooo, since I'm waiting for parts, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Waiting so long for parts is ridicoulus.

Back to the Phu*&ing lounge.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow...I'd read lots of good things about SM b4 this thread.

Neeeeeeeeever mind ! No talkie, no money!

There are NO excuses for poor comms with ur customers IMO.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:09 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

I maybe wrong, but I don't believe that neither of the far east manufacturers use 2K paint, so it can't be epoxy. I think those are enamel based paints.

I had the same round with my planes and I just left the lounge and get the paint elsewhere. You may want to try a latex 1K paint or a polyurethane 2k paint. You local car paint shop can match it pretty close if they are carefull and patient enough

Good luck

Nuno
Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 PM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi, all

Sorry, our factories now in Holiday, and I just back Taiwan for holiday too,

I will back factories China next Monday then ask John for reply all e-mail as soon,

Best regards

Anton
Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
FalconWings

Hi Anton,

I recieved my parts today.
Thanks,

David
Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 AM
crhammond

FYI - the paint Skymater is using is Epoxy paint.
Weathering and ARF will take some effort with steel wool as the paint will be very hard. But this is good news for me as I know how to work with epoxies and can safely apply a thinner wash. Just passing on the word...