Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Setting up a Futaba Gyro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Setting up a Futaba Gyro

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Setting up a Futaba Gyro

I am contemplating a Futaba 401 (or Colco 400 clone) gyro in my one jet that has nasty ground habits.
The instructions talk about switching and adjusting via the radio (in Heli mode...) but we can't set those functions in airplane mode. [&o]
How have folks set up a SMM gyro, and adjusted the gain?
Thanks
Greg
Old 10-01-2009, 11:48 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Setting up a Futaba Gyro

You can set it up on a dial and have adjustable gain, Heading hold mode and rate mode or off. You don't want to fly the plane on Heading hold mode unless you want to fly the rudder for the entire flight. But it will work well on the ground.

When you set the gyro on the dial 1/3 of the dail throw will adjust from max gain HH to mimimum gain HH, the next 1/3 throw will be gyro off, the last 1/3 of the dial will be rate mode minimum gain to rate mode maximum gain.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 AM
KC36330

it's just for nose steering? if so set up a mix from the gear channel to turn the gyro on/off with the gear switch and adjust the mix for the desired gain to smooth out the steering. gear down, gyro on, gear up gyro off.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What TX are you using?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: KC36330

it's just for nose steering? if so set up a mix from the gear channel to turn the gyro on/off with the gear switch and adjust the mix for the desired gain to smooth out the steering. gear down, gyro on, gear up gyro off.
= = = = = =

I'm using a Futaba 12Z so plenty of radio!
I'm using it ONLY for nose wheel steering, as the only issue with this plane is take-off tracking.

I was REALLY leaning to the Colco 400 (Futaba 240 clone)since it is 1/4 (Thank You E-Bay!) the cost of a 240.....
but trying to understand the instructions.....much less set the gain without a dedicated program (set it up in Heli mode on my old 9C easily). Not much difference (that I've been able to read about) in the two gyros, but I've never set one up.....

Thanks!
Greg
Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
KC36330

the mix is simple, just an ON/OFF that's activated via the gear switch.