Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

need smoke system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

need smoke system

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:14 PM
kenazzo2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need smoke system

hi ive built a jet funnycar and will be doing shows with the car in full quarter scale tracks . i need help to build a homemade smoke system . i was thinking of buying a small fuel pump attach it to a small switch and a servo to push the switch so that i can put on and off the pump any time i like . any suggestions do you think it will work ? thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_HUwP2H544
Old 10-02-2009, 01:48 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: need smoke system

TamJets sells a smoke system as well as JetCat which works with their turbines. You could also purchase a Sullivan skywriter pump from Tower and then use a Tams injector nozzle at the turbine exhaust, thats what I am doing.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:52 PM
kenazzo2000

ORIGINAL: ianober

TamJets sells a smoke system as well as JetCat which works with their turbines. You could also purchase a Sullivan skywriter pump from Tower and then use a Tams injector nozzle at the turbine exhaust, thats what I am doing.
thanks ill check it out and see
Old 10-03-2009, 12:21 AM
kenazzo2000

ORIGINAL: ianober

any photos ? please
Old 10-03-2009, 06:01 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Hello:

We offer a complete smoke system which includes, pump, stainless steel nozzles, clear Festo 4mm tubing, Festo 4mm fittings, solenoid and complete set up instructions. Battery may be 4.8 thru 7.4. 100% satisfied users to date. Simple to install. . . .and instant OFF with no residual fuel drip.

$225 USD plus $20 shipping to your address. We accept PayPal to [email protected], Visa or MasterCard.

Email to : [email protected] for immediate response.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
Old 10-03-2009, 06:22 AM
kenazzo2000

ORIGINAL: BluFox

Hello:

We offer a complete smoke system which includes, pump, stainless steel nozzles, clear Festo 4mm tubing, Festo 4mm fittings, solenoid and complete set up instructions. Battery may be 4.8 thru 7.4. 100% satisfied users to date. Simple to install. . . .and instant OFF with no residual fuel drip.

$225 USD plus $20 shipping to your address. We accept PayPal to [email protected], Visa or MasterCard.

Email to : [email protected] for immediate response.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
thanks but i was looking for something a bit cheaper
Old 10-03-2009, 06:42 AM
kenazzo2000

do you think i can work with this ?
FUEL PUMP 6v-12v rc model petrol nitro fuelpump

Old 10-03-2009, 08:26 AM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That all depends on what material the pump's gears/impellers are made of. A 'nitro' pump will work for a very very short time when in contact with gasoline, kerosene or diesel.

The internals (plastic) of a 'nitro only' pump will turn into a gummy mess with a petroleum based substance.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:49 AM
kenazzo2000

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

That all depends on what material the pump's gears/impellers are made of. A 'nitro' pump will work for a very very short time when in contact with gasoline, kerosene or diesel.

The internals (plastic) of a 'nitro only' pump will turn into a gummy mess with a petroleum based substance.
it says petrol nitro do you think its good ? or do you know were i can get some motor to use ? thanks for your help
Old 10-03-2009, 09:39 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I used the old worn fuel pump from my Ram500. I bought a cheap speed controller so that I can vary pump speed from my transmitter. The nozzle is no big deal. I bought a short length of 1/8" stainless tubing at my local hobby shop and flattened one end to form a nozzle.

At first I had the smoke control on a slider switch on my transmitter. This allowed me to go from a little bit to a lot of smoke. Now I have the pump speed mixed to throttle and use a mix switch to turn it on and off. It works great.

Some guys have used a Jetjoe fuel pump since it's cheap and not much good for running a turbine. By the time you add up the cost of an inexpensive pump and a speed controller you might as well just buy the Sullivan Skywriter pump.

The simplest system would be to have an inexpensive pump with no speed control. Just size the battery voltage to get the volume of smoke you want.

Joe
Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 AM
kenazzo2000

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

I used the old worn fuel pump from my Ram500. I bought a cheap speed controller so that I can vary pump speed from my transmitter. The nozzle is no big deal. I bought a short length of 1/8'' stainless tubing at my local hobby shop and flattened one end to form a nozzle.

At first I had the smoke control on a slider switch on my transmitter. This allowed me to go from a little bit to a lot of smoke. Now I have the pump speed mixed to throttle and use a mix switch to turn it on and off. It works great.

Some guys have used a Jetjoe fuel pump since it's cheap and not much good for running a turbine. By the time you add up the cost of an inexpensive pump and a speed controller you might as well just buy the Sullivan Skywriter pump.

The simplest system would be to have an inexpensive pump with no speed control. Just size the battery voltage to get the volume of smoke you want.

Joe
thanks mate the small pump in the picture i posted is not expensive i dont need something special just some smoke out of the back of the car . have you got any pictures please
Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 AM
joeflyer

Sorry, I don't have any pictures.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 AM
kenazzo2000

Sorry, I don't have any pictures.
ok dont mater here s my plan in the drawing do you think it will work ? it should
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 AM
joeflyer

Yes. I assume that some wires will come out of the switch leading to a battery. I suggest that you put a filter between the tank and pump, and a manual on/off valve between the pump and pipe (otherwise it may drip when off).

You might want to consider an electric switch instead of the servo+switch. See http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCJD7&P=7

Or for about the same price you could use an inexpensive brushed speed controller, which would allow you to vary pump speed. Also since you can adjust pump speed you could power it off of your ECU battery and not worry about finding an additional battery pack at the right voltage.

Joe
Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 AM
kenazzo2000

Yes. I assume that some wires will come out of the switch leading to a battery. I suggest that you put a filter between the tank and pump, and a manual on/off valve between the pump and pipe (otherwise it may drip when off).

You might want to consider an electric switch instead of the servo+switch. See http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCJD7&P=7

Or for about he same price you could use an inexpensive brushed speed controller, which would allow you to vary pump speed.

Joe
ok i didnt mension battrey and so on but that was the plan can you tell me how the elec switch works ? please
Old 10-03-2009, 10:53 AM
joeflyer

It is a solid state replacement for a servo+switch. Click on the link I provided and read the description.

Joe
Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 AM
kenazzo2000

It is a solid state replacement for a servo+switch. Click on the link I provided and read the description.

Joe
lets see if i understood the elec switch is hooked up to the receiver then there should be two wires that hook to the pump then i can put a switch on or off is that right ?
Old 10-03-2009, 11:37 AM
joeflyer

That's my understanding of how it works. It should allow you to switch the smoke on and off from your transmitter. I have seen these before but never actually used one.

If you have any detailed questions about your intended use I suggest that you email EMS. Their contact information is on their website http://www.emsjomar.com/

Joe
Old 10-03-2009, 11:40 AM
kenazzo2000

That's my understanding of how it works. It should allow you to switch the smoke on and off from your transmitter. I have seen these before but never actually used one.

If you have any detailed questions about your intended use I suggest that you email EMS. Their contact information is on their website http://www.emsjomar.com/

Joe
ok thanks i will thanks for all of your help last question please i guess it use s the receiver s battrey ? so less weight better
Old 10-03-2009, 11:45 AM
joeflyer

Yes, the electronic switch is powered by the receiver battery. All it's doing is replacing your proposed servo+manual switch. Think of it as a relay. You will need a separate power source to run the smoke pump.

Joe
Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 PM
kenazzo2000

Yes, the electronic switch is powered by the receiver battery. All it's doing is replacing your proposed servo+manual switch. Think of it as a relay. You will need a separate power source to run the smoke pump.

Joe
ok joe thanks for all of your help ill see what i will do
Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kenazzo2000

That all depends on what material the pump's gears/impellers are made of.
it says petrol nitro do you think its good ? or do you know were i can get some motor to use ? thanks for your help
A motor is a motor, it's the PUMP you'll need to be sure is compatable with smoke oil & gasoline etc.

I've never heard of a 'petrol nitro' pump. Just ask the manufacturer if it'll be ok for your application.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 PM
kenazzo2000

ORIGINAL: kenazzo2000

That all depends on what material the pump's gears/impellers are made of.
A motor is a motor, it's the PUMP you'll need to be sure is compatable with smoke oil & gasoline etc.

I've never heard of a 'petrol nitro' pump. Just ask the manufacturer if it'll be ok for your application.
i asked him and he said yes they use them on petrol boats
Old 10-03-2009, 08:20 PM
kenazzo2000

Joe
does the battrey need a switch up to the pump ?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 PM
joeflyer

The EMS unit is the switch, you don't need another one. It's just a switch that is controlled by you transmitter. Like I said before it replaces the servo+mechanical switch you were proposing. It works like a relay.

Joe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.