Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCEXL ignition on GF45i

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
cuwaert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCEXL ignition on GF45i

Hello, got a GF45I second generation (the last version with inverted intake and exaust). Fixed the problem of loosening bearings and
put a deacent cannister muffler on it. I ordered a RCEXL ignition to have an automatic advance system.
I used the original sensor on the engine and had to reverse 2 wires to make it work, but now it fires 2 times after every time it passes the magnet. reversing the sensor doesn't help. It runs reasonably well with it tough but I suspect I will draw extra current.
It runs well but the engine takes on power rather slowly and there is a lot of spray out the carb.
Anybody knows how the advancing or retarding of that ignition works because I'm not sure if I have to change the sensor position.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:30 AM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCEXL ignition on GF45i

ORIGINAL: cuwaert

Hello, got a GF45I second generation (the last version with inverted intake and exaust). Fixed the problem of loosening bearings and
put a deacent cannister muffler on it. I ordered a RCEXL ignition to have an automatic advance system.
I used the original sensor on the engine and had to reverse 2 wires to make it work, but now it fires 2 times after every time it passes the magnet. reversing the sensor doesn't help. It runs reasonably well with it tough but I suspect I will draw extra current.
It runs well but the engine takes on power rather slowly and there is a lot of spray out the carb.
Anybody knows how the advancing or retarding of that ignition works because I'm not sure if I have to change the sensor position.
Will it double fire with the Hall sensor turned around. If it does you have the wrong Hall sensor and will not work with the RCEXL ignition.You should have a new sensor with the RCEXL ignition. Normal is no side of hall sensor and north pole of magnet. If your magnet is incorrect poliarty for RCEXL sensor just flag the back side of hall sensor.
Some time a low battery will make the Ign double fire.
Sounds like your timing is way off. Should be timed 28 to 30 degrees before TDC.
See C&H web site for timing instructions and degree wheel.
BCCHI AMA 2500
Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 PM
cuwaert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCEXL ignition on GF45i

Ran the engine with an airfilter today and it's much more powerfull and smooth.
Anyway, thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna order an original RCEXL pickup to get rid of
the double fireing and the excessive power consumption. Im not sure how the advancing
software is dealing with this double firing too so...