Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

What next after a Coaxial?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

What next after a Coaxial?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Hawksbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What next after a Coaxial?

Hello all.

I've been flying for about a month with my Esky Hunter Coaxial. I'm starting to feel like I've learned all I can from her and am planning my next bird. I want something that I can fly indoors as it's getting colder now here in Michigan. I'd like something that'll train me well in preparation for getting something larger next spring when I can get back out to the park.

I'm currently eying the Honeybee FPv2 because I've good luck with Esky so far. But, I'm not terribly familiar with all of my options.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

-jd
Old 10-03-2009, 06:50 AM
don_87

Default RE: What next after a Coaxial?

Fixed pitch would be the next step. The honeybee has a large following.

Don
Old 10-03-2009, 06:56 AM
sportvelo

I am in the same position as you. Had a Lama v4 for a few months. Now moving up to a fixed pitch single rotor. I am not sure the Honeybee will be good for indoors unless you have quite a bit of space. I did not purchase one (as much as I wanted to) as it was a bit large for indoor use. The rotor diameter is about 15cm larger than the Lama. For me the Lama was basically the limit of what I would feel comfortable flying inside regularly.

I went out and purchased a collective pitch Walkera 4G6. I flew it yesterday and today for the first time. Well, I can tell you the bird is a handful. I would not recommend you upgrade to the 4G6. It flies nothing like the Lama. It is basically all or nothing. Cut the power and it slams the ground. The Lama drops, the 4G6 slams. I either have the wrong setup, or it is way to advanced for my ability (most likely). I did not get a single hover out of my 4G6 today and it is broken in multiple places and now awaiting parts...

After breaking a bunch of parts (no where near as robust as a Lama, but a much smaller heli, so not a fair comparison) today on the 4G6 I have now purchased the Walkera CB100 (as I really like the Walkera transmitter - pro model). Apparently the CB100 is a much tamer single rotor beast, easier to learn with and small enough to fly indoors without being a danger. That said, I am new to Heli's and this is just my story. I am sure the others will chime in with something more informed.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Disney1

I would agree on moving to a FP heli,
I started on a Falcon 40 but if I were choosing today it would be the Honey Bee 2.

EDIT: gotta learn to spell.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 AM
sportvelo

Another option is the Walkera CB180. It is smaller than the Honeybee. Might be easier to fly indoors.. But they are fairly new, so I am not sure about the flight characteristics.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Disney1

I like the HB FP v2because a lot of the parts are intechangeable with the V1.
So getting commonly brokenparts will be very easy.
the Honey Bee FP v2 sports a more robust frame, that is the main change.
I have flown the F-40 and Honey Bee v1, like the HBbetter, but already owned the F-40.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Raycamaro

Two other excellent choices would be an e-flite MSR for indoor and some outdoor and the Hirobo Quark. I have both and like them. I still buy co-ax for indoor flying. I have several different ones.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Hawksbill

Thank you all for the recommendations. The MSR looks pretty cool, but I'm still leaning toward the HBFPv2, I think. The ease and cheapness of parts along with the long history of use are pushing me in that direction.

-jd
Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Navy_1

F-40 V2 2.4 Ghz or the same thing is the HB V2 2.4
Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 AM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: Hawksbill

Thank you all for the recommendations. The MSR looks pretty cool, but I'm still leaning toward the HBFPv2, I think. The ease and cheapness of parts along with the long history of use are pushing me in that direction.

-jd
How much room do you have indoors? I learned how to hover my Falcon 40 in a "clear" 20x20 ft room. You can do it in smaller rooms, but be careful of the air current you'll set up when you get to hovering. Set it down every so often to "calm the winds".

With this size heli, all you'll be able to really do indoors is learn to hover. But if you've got a field to fly in when it warms up again in Michigan. It sounds like a perfect plan.

Like Disney, I have a Falcon 40 and HBFP, and I would also recommend the Honey Bee.

Also, check out [link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]Radd's School of Rotary Flight[/link] to learn how to hover.

-Dave