Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Best Heli for a beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Best Heli for a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
IcedoutRzrS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Heli for a beginner?

I have had one of the 30 dollar ones and they are really bad at everything lol. Soi was wondering what is best Heli for around 100. I tried to read up on some of the different types but kinda confusing and their is a lot of terms i will have to learn i cant tell. For that price range is a T-rex better or a dragonfly or what? Thanks so much</p>
Old 10-13-2009, 05:04 PM
IcedoutRzrS

Default RE: Best Heli for a beginner?

https://www.ushobbysupply.com/produc...roducts_id=332
like is this a good one? fora good price?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:26 PM
gnd2

OK, first of all there are basically three different types:
1: Coaxial - has two counter rotating main blades. Blade CX and Esky Lama are two examples. This is the easiest type of heli to fly, good for in the house but don't take it outside if there's any wind at all.

2: Fixed pitch - has one main rotor and a tail rotor. Little harder to fly than coaxial. Many people take these as the next step. Esky honeybee fp is an example.

3: Collective pitch - this is the most advanced of the three types. Much more difficult to fly than the other two but much more maneuverable.

Frankly, for 100 bucks trex is out of the question. The esky heli you mentioned is a so-so heli but as a beginner I think you may find it difficult to get started with and probably end up sinking more money into it. It uses an FM radio which is pretty much going obsolete with the new 2.4GHz radios that are out. That's part of why it's on sale so cheap. FM radios can work well if careful attention is paid to them but if you're not careful they can glitch leading to expensive crashes. It's also collective pitch which is going to be difficult to learn.

Some people are able to jump right into collective pitch helis, but others start out with coaxial and work their way up. Without knowing more about you I can't say what you should do, but as a beginner you might want to look into the coaxials I mentioned above.

I have an esky lama v4 with fm radio that's working fine, but my Blade CP+ glitched quite a bit and it wasn't long before I bought a DX7 for it. Ya, I bought a $400 (at the time) radio and put it in a $200 (at the time) heli. Soon after that I was putting $600 into a trex 450 SE. The bug, it bites... [:@]
Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: gnd2
Some people are able to jump right into collective pitch helis, but others start out with coaxial and work their way up. Without knowing more about you I can't say what you should do, but as a beginner you might want to look into the coaxials I mentioned above.

I have an esky lama v4 with fm radio that's working fine, but my Blade CP+ glitched quite a bit and it wasn't long before I bought a DX7 for it. Ya, I bought a $400 (at the time) radio and put it in a $200 (at the time) heli. Soon after that I was putting $600 into a trex 450 SE. The bug, it bites... [:@]
If you've never - ever flow anything, and you're not sure if you want to take the steps into the world of helicopters, as gnd2 says, a coaxial would be a first good step. You can fly them in the house, and you can start to learn about orientation (tail in, side in, nose in).

From there it's either a fixed pitch or jump to a collective pitch. Just remember, the coax hovers without a thought, and with a FP or CP, you'll have to learn to hover.

-Dave
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Raycamaro

As far as coaxials, I own the E-flite CX2, CX3, both types of MCX and Walkera #38 Chinook. Hands down, buy a MCX RTF. They are tough, fun to fly and easy to fly in living room. If you buy a MCX, buy the yellow one. My Grandson broke the tail of the S300 white MCX the first day I had it. I have two Revel Chinooks that are fun but not good to learn on. As far as a fixed pitch for more money, the E-flite MSR is good and the Hirobo Quark is the best FP money can buy and cheap to keep flying.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Navy_1

Hay all. i agree to a point. i got very board with teh Coax. but if you are not sure a Coax is the way to go if you are like me and its always sonthing you wanted to do. then Fixed Pitch is the way to go and work your way from there. i fly a Belt now and am glade i started on teh F-40. and T-tex or a different CP helo would of only made me not want to fly i still brake out teh F-40 and work on things. the F-40 V2 2.4 gig is in your price range looks good. i am thinking of buying a V2 f-40 to ghely My son and My wife has the bug and flies my F-40 V1. hope this helps
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Disney1

<span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman">Wow a Belt CPv1 RTF for $119</span> </span><span style="font-size: larger"><span style="font-size: smaller"><font color="#00265e">https://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=332</font>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman">For that price you cannot lose. The Belt is a good heli.
I personally started with a Falcon-40 (same as Walkera 4) then moved up to a Belt CP.
Love the Belt CP. Nice stable flyer. and cheap to fix when you crash.
Here is a link to a vid of a long hover with my belt.
</span><span style="font-family: Times New Roman">http://www.youtube.com/user/pattr007#p/a/u/1/PT90bI_sce0</span>

</span></span>
Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 PM
IcedoutRzrS

i had a coax before so i guess i should be looking at a fixed so either a f-40 or a walker 4 right?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Navy_1

ORIGINAL: IcedoutRzrS

i had a coax before so i guess i should be looking at a fixed so either a f-40 or a walker 4 right?

EATHER THE fALCON-40 v 2.4 gHZ or teh HBV2 2.4Ghz. and the Walkra#4. all teh same Bird. all parts are interchanble. excpt the Frame, Main gear adn shaft. that is all teh rest should be the same across the bord.

https://www.ushobbysupply.com/index.php?cPath=30

http://www.xheli.com/2-4ghz-exceed-rc-falcon-40.html

http://www.xheli.com/ne4ches2redh.html
Old 10-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Disney1

Yes your best next step is a FPheli.