Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Finally flew my DPM Ultimate 40!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Finally flew my DPM Ultimate 40!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 01:03 AM
WhtBronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally flew my DPM Ultimate 40!

Well I thought I'd report on the first flights of my Dave Patrick Models Ultimate 40. After 7 months I finally got fly it. I had no problems at all, thankfully since my wife and 2 daughters were watching. It was near 90 degrees, humid and a wind of 10+ mph.

The plane flew quite well. Easy to handle and very predictable in flight. This plane will slow to nearly a crawl and remained very stable at slow speeds. High speed is fine if you can call it high speed. It's quick, but not what I'd call fast. It's a bi-plane with a 4 stroke though so I didn't expect anything more. The only thing I found I didn't like was the elevator is a bit mushy. I suspect this is due to the far forward CG Dave Patrick recommends. I set mine to 1 1/8" ahead of the rear cabane strut. Dave recommends 1.5", but I wasn't going to add lead to the nose to get it there. I already have the battery against the firewall. I will move the battery back and the CG to 3/4" for the next flights. The CG range is 3/8"-3/4" after the first flights. Rolls were very nice, but not fast. Loops tracked well, knife edge is easy with that rudder, but it does roll a good bit. I have 5% mix for the ailerons and will go to 10% in an attempt to mix that out. Inverted flight was stable.

I was a bit dissapointed in it's snap rolls, but I didn't try the high dual rates so that may improve. Moving the CG back will help as well.

Much to my surprise the Saito 72 performed flawlessly. I had a lot of trouble getting it tuned properly, but it is running great now. I didn't even need to adjust the needles before flying. BTW, this is not too much engine for the plane. It is a very nice engine for it. Good vertical power, it will hover at 1/2 throttle I sure wish the pilot could hold it for more than 10 seconds. I found the 10 oz tank provided enough time to taxi out to the runway about 100 feet, fly for 10 minutes at varying throttle settings, land and taxi back and still have nearly 2 oz of fuel remaining. One thing I noticed, the Saito idles so quietly on landing approach I thought it had died. I made this mistake 3 times. I'm not sure if I like that or not.

Next time should be even more pleasant. I hope to try out the dual rates and flaps and push the plane a bit harder.

If anyone is interested I am using a JR 662 and all standard JR 537 servos. I have not yet weighed the plane, but I suspect it is about 5.5 lbs based on what others have reported.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Harvey Kreit

I've been trying to buy the kit but Patrick is out of stock and not sure when they'll get more. Any ideas where to locate one?
Old 07-07-2003, 01:48 PM
WhtBronco

I got mine from Dave Partick directly, and it was the last 1 they had in stock. It was purchased in Novemeber though. They do get more ever 6-8 weeks it seems. If you have any interest in covering it DPM usually has the ARC's in stock. You might also try Chief Aircraft. They seem have a good stock of planes, and they do stock the DPM planes. Otherwise try your the local hoby shops they may have 1 or have an idea where to get 1.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/

If you get the plane you will love it. It is truly the best flying powered plane I have ever flown.

A couple of notes: If you acquire the DPM Ultimate 40 consider the elevator servo relocation, you move it to under the canopy to get better alignment on the cables for the elevator and rudder. Also beef up the landing gear block. Also beef up the firewall a bit if you go with a bigger engine than recommended.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:43 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by WhtBronco
If you acquire the DPM Ultimate 40 consider the elevator servo relocation, you move it to under the canopy to get better alignment on the cables for the elevator and rudder.
I mounted my elevator and rudder servos inline. I've raised the rudder servo 3/8" so that it clears the elevator servo.

This is much less work than YSMANs mod, and works perfectly.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:28 AM
Harvey Kreit

I had a Kyosho Pitts bipe. I flew it with a Saito 91. I don't know if it was the short fuse or the extra nose weight but what a nasty plane to fly. Unstable, unpredictable, unmanageable, ground looped. And when landing - she'd float in so beautifully and always nose over. It snapped on final and I buried it -- hate to admit it but I was happy to see her go.

If I can find the DP Ultimate, I'm going to put that 91 there.

Thanks for the lead and the pics
Old 07-08-2003, 01:36 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I'd originally planed on using my spare Saito .91 in my Ultimate... until I actually received the plane

It could be made to work. You'd need to add weight to the tail, and would have to hack the cowl to bits. Ground clearance with a 14" prop would make landings interesting - especially once the soft stock gear spreads a bit.

IMHO its far too lightly built to absorb that much power. Nor does it need it. Try a YS 63 or Saito .72 4C; on the 2C side an OS .50 (ringed) is a good choice.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:13 PM
WhtBronco

visioneer_one

Good point on the servo relocation. Your method is easier. I had even considered it myself. Come to think I'm not sure why I decided to go with YSMAN's method. Oh well, both work well.

Harvey Kreit

Well I am glad I didn't get the Kyosho Pitts, this was my other choice. I have heard from only 2 people but both disliked it. The other guy had a Saito 56 and said it was underpowered and didn't fly well.

I would not use a Saito 90 on the DPM Ultimate 40. It will be way too much power. Mine climbs vertical as far as I want with a Saito 72 around 1/2 throttle using an APC 12x8. It would hover at 1/2 throttle too if I could. This is a fantastic flying airplane, and it's light.

If you want a nice ARF for that Saito 90 consider looking at the Vector Flight lineup. The Edge or Extra they sell will be my next plane and I am thinking of a Saito 90 for it. www.vectorflight.com. They have good prices, are made in North America and have good reviews here on RCU.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:41 PM
kwelz
My Feedback: (6)

Originally posted by Harvey Kreit
I had a Kyosho Pitts bipe. I flew it with a Saito 91. I don't know if it was the short fuse or the extra nose weight but what a nasty plane to fly. Unstable, unpredictable, unmanageable, ground looped. And when landing - she'd float in so beautifully and always nose over. It snapped on final and I buried it -- hate to admit it but I was happy to see her go.

If I can find the DP Ultimate, I'm going to put that 91 there.

Thanks for the lead and the pics
Umm I would be hesitant to put a .72 on the Kyosho Pitts. Much less a .91
Old 09-25-2003, 02:15 PM
rwlewis
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Finally flew my DPM Ultimate 40!

I got one of these when they forst came out.

I started with a Saito 65 on my ultimate and it balanced perfectly with the battery in the font initially and then I moved it to behind the servo tray to make it less nose heavy. It's nearly perfect now. I recently acquired a Saito 91 and put on it. WOW! It's like a whole different aircraft. The 91 weighs the same as the 65.

Overall, this is the best flying airplane I have owned!!

I've crashed it twice. Once when the throttle pushrod got disconnected and I dead sticked it into a bad spot. Second at my first IMAC contest, I put it in in the second round doing the 2 turn upright spin.

Specs:

Hitec Standard Servos in the wing, elevators, and throttle.
Hitec 605 for the Rudder.
720MAH NIMH battery pack
Saito 91 with 14x6 APC
Stock fuel tank.
Weighs a little over 5 pounds.

Richard
Tomball. TX
Old 12-04-2003, 08:53 PM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Finally flew my DPM Ultimate 40!

I've got an Ultimate 40 up for sale if your still looking . item # 11149