Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Needle Value Access in a Eindecker

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Needle Value Access in a Eindecker

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needle Value Access in a Eindecker

Hi,

After 25 years away, I am getting back into R/C. As a re-introduction, I am starting with a SFM Eindecker ARF. It will be powered by a OS40LA.

I have mounted the motor that is pointed in the 7 o'clock position when viewed from the front. I have also re-oriented the rear mounted needle valve so that it also points in the same direction as the cylinder head. The cowl is trimed out to clear the head.

I would have to trim a huge amount of the cowl away to get my fingers on the needle valve. I would prefer just to put another small hole in the cowl for a tool to pass through.

The needle valve is knurled but not slotted or with any similar features.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution? I thought of attaching a nut or the head of a cap screw to the top of the needle valve but I was hoping for a cleaner solution instead of buggering up the needle valve.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:10 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LA has a hole in the end with a set screw to tighten in a wire extension . Funny you don't have the same? MAX H.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Chevelle

Ahhhh. So THAT is what that is for! I thought it was some special breathing hole or something. (I was going to get around to reading the manual eventually.)

I told you. It's been 25 years!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:02 PM
big max 1935

If it wasn't for guys like you there would be no need for guys like me ! HA HA MAX H.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:30 AM
Chevelle

No kidding. I still have a 25 year old OSMax40 and a SuperTigre 60 at least that old. Neither of them have that doodad on the needle valve. The two Falcon 56s and the P51 that I had before I "retired" from R/C didn't need that feature. Anyway, all the needle valves then were all fixed to the carb and in the front whether you wanted it there or not!

There was no such thing as dual rates, multiple plane settings, servo mixing, and lots of other things. You had to buy special reversed servos or re-wire the regular ones. And there were no buddy boxes. Kraft was the big name in radios. Airtronics and Futaba were in much less expensive. My radio was a four channel MRC (Model Rectifier Company).

Man! I have got a lot to (re)learn.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:15 AM
big max 1935

Chevelle: Got some of the same stuff you have . And have a passion for Falcon 56's. Have a early kit stashed away that is autographed by Carl Goldberg . What we both have in our favor now is the Inter-net ,RCU & a little ability to use both. Welcome back ,we missed you . MAX HANSEN AMA & IMAA AVP District IX S. D.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:52 AM
balsadust-3

Hi
see you got your solution but if you should you get a needle with no hole many times if you take the erasor out of an old lead pencil it will fit over valve with enough tenson to turn don't leave on to fly just to turn.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Chevelle, Yep! Know all about rewiring servo's, lubricating the pots, and actually having to adjust the geometry of the linkages to get the control throws you wanted. Hey, we actually had to use our nogins back then, huh! Didn't even have CA glue's back then. Dang, how did we do it? It was a blast!