Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

What next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 PM
enuro12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What next?

I'm just learning to hover and basic maneuvers on my Walkera 5#10. I'm months away from mastering it, however i'm wondering whats next? I'd like to be able to fly outside with something eventually. I don't necessary need to do 3d.

So what should i be looking at as my next heli? From all i've read i'm thinking FP then CP. But whats a good FP to learn on. Cost to repair will defiantly be a factor.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 AM
dknovick

Default RE: What next?

ORIGINAL: enuro12

I'm just learning to hover and basic maneuvers on my Walkera 5#10. I'm months away from mastering it, however i'm wondering whats next? I'd like to be able to fly outside with something eventually. I don't necessary need to do 3d.

So what should i be looking at as my next heli? From all i've read i'm thinking FP then CP. But whats a good FP to learn on. Cost to repair will defiantly be a factor.
My take on the various types:

The coaxial is good to learn orientation (since it hovers on it's own). Use it to learn tail in, side in, nose in.

The FP will start to teach you how to hover, but many skip this step and go straight to the CP (The FP and the CP are very different birds). You can also get in some forward flight with your FP.

The CP is your "true" heli with all it's complexities.

Depending on how much room / time / money you want to spend would determine what path you want to take next.

The FP will be cheaper to repair, but because it's "small" it will be less stable and twitchy. The CP (especially the 450 size) will be more stable and easier to learn to hover but will cost more initially, and cost more to repair.

As far as which FP to choose? Use this forum as a guide. Look for models that have a lot of activity. When you have questions, you'll want them answered.
I have a Falcon 40 and a Honey Bee Fixed pitch. Both are great machines. Because of their size, I can only fly them around outside when there's light wind.

-Dave
Old 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

Check Hobby City, like their 500GT that cost only $69 with metal head and trex compativility, like other said bigger are better. I have the flasher 500 (2) but when Hobby City came out with their 500GT I want to get one also rather than spending $200 on the flasher as a new one. compare 200 and 69.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 PM
enuro12

Thanks Dave!

Sounds like CP is the way to go. Money isnt much of an issue. The wife doesn't mind the hobbies i have and i make enough money to do as i please.

Orientation will be my killer... I've got a Super Cub and i cant ever get the darn thing back to me.... Dunno why i have so much trouble reversing the controls... Its not much different than driving backwards, and i can do that as well as i drive forward. Although that may not be saying much.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
dknovick

Thanks Dave!

Sounds like CP is the way to go. Money isnt much of an issue. The wife doesn't mind the hobbies i have and i make enough money to do as i please.
Then that's the way to go. Pick something that you can grow with and ask lots of questions! I'm in a similar "boat" I started with a FP, and now I'm looking for my first CP heli.

Orientation will be my killer... I've got a Super Cub and i cant ever get the darn thing back to me.... Dunno why i have so much trouble reversing the controls... Its not much different than driving backwards, and i can do that as well as i drive forward. Although that may not be saying much.
It's just something that you have to get your brain wired for.

Here are some links to help you on your path:

[link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/index.html]Radd's School of Rotary Flight[/link]
[link=http://www.swashplate.co.uk/html/ehbg.html]Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide[/link]
[link=http://www.slyster.com/heli/b400bible.html]Blade 400 Bible[/link]
[link=http://www.slyster.com/heli/trex450bible.html]T-Rex 450 Bible[/link]

-Dave