Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

all about STERN DRIVE..

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

all about STERN DRIVE..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:24 AM
wave waker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all about STERN DRIVE..

Howdy, what specification of stern drive that will work for the V24 aquacraft batboat hull and venom king of shaves catamaran hull..i'm thinking of building for winter project. thus, the stern drive need gearbox?

please throw any info. for better direction..thanks in advance...[8D]
Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: all about STERN DRIVE..

Personally I am not sure the installation of a sterndrive is advisable for either the batboat or Venom cat as it will require a significant amount of work to relocate the driveline, radio box, possibly move the motors forward, etc etc. A lot of work for a possible improvement in scale appearence. Indeed it could be done - question might be if it should be done

Here a "Z" drive is mounted to a bat boat (Not the V24 hull)

Mounting a stern drive on a cat you will need to check the clearence between the drive mount and the bottom running surface of the boat. This is a larger Jolly Motors cat I have in the works with twin stern drives.

Additional consideration will need to be given to moving weight around (forward) in your cat to rebalance it as the sterndrive will move the COG considerably sternward.
Also a smaller 46" Thunderbolt cat with a single stern drive

All of the above images use the MHZ "Z" drive or identically sized (though presently out of production) RCM drive.

The MHZ S6 drive will afford slightly more tunnel height - the measurement from the bottom of the mounting bracket to the center line of the point of the drive (the prop shaft centerline) is around 32mm.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:20 PM
rcguy1411

is mh$ the only game in scale z drives or are there others
Old 11-07-2009, 04:54 PM
wave waker

JUSTADDWATA, u the man![sm=thumbup.gif],,great picture...thanks for the info about changing CG position, the extra work is fine for me, love to experiment boat set-up though,, since u posted the outside maybe u have the inside picture

i saw ur selling an stern drive, i wanna grab it but my budget kinda tight right now..
Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcguy1411

is mh$ the only game in scale z drives or are there others
There are Kenellos drives (not sure on spelling) which are semi scale stern drives. A little on the heavy duty appearence. I believe they are still (or again) in production though dont know of any official distribution network. I believe Wally (Tahoe1970) might be in contact with the manufacturer and he was the last one I remember having a new one on offer (though near a year ago I would have to guess). These drives were more popular in the early 90's and are mostly found on older scale models.

RCM drives were around a while though the company went out of production with the drives due to conflict with MHZ. I was last told they will be producing more of a slightly different version though it is 18months since the last due date I received. They are backed up a lot with the popularity of their rcmk motors.

There are Volvo sterndrives - beautiful little masterpieces though priced accordingly. (believe they are approaching $1000) I am not sure of their power capabilities.

I believe AMPs did gas stern drives in the 90's though have not seen anything new there in about a decade.

Then you have MH$

Thats about the limit of serious gas contenders

Wave waker - not sure I have many inside pics this far - the location (especially with the cats overhanging decks) makes pics once in place awkward at best. I will certainly make an effort to get more pics up as I progress.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata
I was last told they will be producing more of a slightly different version
New sterndrive will have longer cavitating/swash-plate with build in/on water'scoops' ,
easier oil-filling and 3/16" and/or 1/4" prophubs , just wait and see .
Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 PM
rcguy1411

who is gooing to make them i saw an older add for rcm drives $ 225 .00 compaired to $ 550 .00 for mh$ a big difference for what seems to be very comparible quality