Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

WARNING DLE-111!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WARNING DLE-111!!!

I bought a DLE-111 earlier this year in hopes of trying it out on my 35%er. It was broken in on LB Ashless the correct way and then mounted to the bird to fly. After countless hours of messing with everything from baffing to needle settings and phone calls to "the Pros", I never got it to run right. I did however get it to run "ok" one day and got the bird up in the air. It flew one time while I was trying to set the controls but sounded rich. I landed, fueled, and tweaked the carb. and put it up in the air again. On the second flight, I bought it down a little bit more when it died. I was too low to recover and lost it. I sent it to Jody at Valleyviewrc and after having it for two months, he told me the the factory carb. was defective. I'm replacing it with a Walbro WJ-71 and waiting for it to arrive so I can test it soon. Since then I will not skimp on a cheap chinese engine and I just bought a 3w competition series so I'll have not to worry about quality agian..........I'll keep posted my results.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WARNING DLE-111!!!

I also bought a DLE-111 from TBM. Mounted the engine, used the same oil I planned to fly with, started the engine and ran for 5 minutes. Filled tank and flew it. After 5 gallons, the engine started really putting out the power and has just been getting better with each flight. It has never been a problem. Several people here are flying the DL-50's and love them too.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

2B maybe a bad luck.... i have seen a lot of DLE111 making really amazing things on 35% frames. BTWwhere did you buy the engine?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2Brave

I bought a DLE-111 earlier this year in hopes of trying it out on my 35%er. It was broken in on LB Ashless the correct way and then mounted to the bird to fly. After countless hours of messing with everything from baffing to needle settings and phone calls to ''the Pros'', I never got it to run right.

Nobody, from the factory to the distributors, suggests anywhere using Lawnboy for the break in. So the break in was not done right. Changing to a better oil may provide for easier needle settings since you won't be loading the muffler and plug up with carbon deposits. DA does not sell DLE engines and they are the ones that recommend Lawnboy.

Try the low needle at 1 turn open and the high at about 1-1/8 open and work from there. The WJ carb is not necessary since the 111 runs just great with the carb it has. However, the WJ may smooth out the low end just a little.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

The 111 design was taken from the DA!! DA is a much better quality engine as the dle can be bought wholesale for near $500 Wholesale before shipping. DA is confident with LB ashless so it's good enough for a cheaper DLE. Bob at DL USA and valleyviewrc told me the same thing. So if your an actual certified mechanic then you may want to discuss it with them. Jodi at valleyviewrc said that it was just a defective carb and DLE did have a run of faulty carbs. The factory carb that DLE uses has to be set fairly perfect as the Walbro has a bit more overlapping which makes it a bit easier to dial in.... Again this is all information that comes from certified mechanics for DLE
Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The DLE design was taken from DA....Right....
DA did NOT invent the twin cylinder reed valve carb on the crankcase opposed twin two stroke....
Dave and a few associates designed the DA, nothing else....
Dave imported 3Ws before he dropped 3W in favor of his own design..
That being the case, maybe DA copied 3W ???
If you look at the reeds on a DA, they're strangely familiar..3Ws look EXACTLY the same..Coincidence ??? HA....
How about the 6 bolt hub pattern...1.133...Same as 3W..Another coincidence...CM6 spark plugs..Another....Non hall sensor ignition, still used by DA, earlier used on 3W.....
Maybe my old Dodge 4 cylinder Neon was copied from a Motel T Ford..They both have 4 cylinders, 8 valves, one carb.....
THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN, just different arrangemants of the basic components....
Old 12-09-2009, 04:19 PM
apalsson

It was broken in on LB Ashless the correct way and then mounted to the bird to fly.
Personally, I'd drop the Lawnboy - or use it where it was meant for - your lawn mower
Old 12-09-2009, 04:24 PM
JOHNS3D

get rid of the lawnboy...is the worse oil out there, get Redline, Belray, Stilh and you will be just fine. That story of who copy who, etc...is loooong enugh and will not provide good info here...its like so DA will copy DLE30? cause DA will release a DA30 soon....who cares, DLE are much powerfull engine and really easy to tune. As i always said, bling bling doenst make more power.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
skillet92

Not to beat a dead horse or start a oil arguement, but I have a DL50 and a DLE 30 on the way for a Super Chipmunk. I broke the DL50 in on lawn boy ashless (1 Gallon) and have sinced switched to Penzoil Air Cooled. on about my 5th gallon with that. Mine is a beast and has great power and great transition. Now I hear that I should not use Lawnboy. OK that is fine for the 30 but is there anything that i should do or clean on the 50?? Does it build up or something. And as for the DLE30 Can I use the Penzoil at 32-1 to break in?? I like to have just one gas of gas around.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I'm almost absoloutly sure that Jody didn't recommend lawnboy for break in.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: apalsson

It was broken in on LB Ashless the correct way and then mounted to the bird to fly.
Personally, I'd drop the Lawnboy - or use it where it was meant for - your lawn mower
Why do you not like your lawn mower?

I break them in with Penzoil Air Cooled and never wean them off of it. 40:1

My DLE 111 has been a hoss since day one and will outpull my DA100 all day long. I thought the carb was very easy to get set correctly and stays consistent.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:23 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you use Air cooled Pennzoil...to tkeep em clean! 30-32 to 1 ratio. Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17379.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1330764  
Old 12-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Tired Old Man

The 111 design was taken from the DA!! DA is a much better quality engine as the dle can be bought wholesale for near $500 Wholesale before shipping. DA is confident with LB ashless so it's good enough for a cheaper DLE. Bob at DL USA and valleyviewrc told me the same thing. So if your an actual certified mechanic then you may want to discuss it with them. Jodi at valleyviewrc said that it was just a defective carb and DLE did have a run of faulty carbs. The factory carb that DLE uses has to be set fairly perfect as the Walbro has a bit more overlapping which makes it a bit easier to dial in.... Again this is all information that comes from certified mechanics for DLE

I know Tom, and I know Jody. Fly with both of them and for some reason I don't believe they support Lawnboy. I KNOW Jody does not. I am a shop certified mechanic, but on a considerably higher level. BTW, Antique was correct. The DA design is a near perfect copy of an earlier model 3w, but in a different size. Walbro has had quite a few runs of defective carbs. The DLE 111 carb has quite a bit of latitude in it's usable needle range. I have one too

Let me know when you want to give up. I work on r/c gas engines for a living and review a fair number of them before or at their first release. That doesn't note the extensive amounts of R&D I'm involved with daily.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that we've gotten onto this copy thing, something I've always wondered about is, does DA cast the cylinders and pistons here in the states, or is that contracted out to another country?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Tired Old Man

Not done stateside. I will not reveal the manufacturer or location.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
5150flyer

Sounds like 2B had a bad experience with a defective DLE engine. He has a right to factually communicate his frustration and that is what he did. In any case he got a bad carb which wouldn't work right no matter what oil he used.

I always fly DA because they work great and I get great support. But DLE is good competition that will force the DA to make a better product. We are all better off when companies compete in open markets with low barriers to international trade.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

Now that we've gotten onto this copy thing, something I've always wondered about is, does DA cast the cylinders and pistons here in the states, or is that contracted out to another country?

good question
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

He didn't get a bad engine, he got a bad carb, that happens. If it was myself and couldn't get the engine running like it should, I wouldn't have put it in the air.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

So your post was just to run down DLE and to boost DA? Things must be getting might tough over there.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Not done stateside. I will not reveal the manufacturer or location.
Thanks Pat. I didn't need the specifics anyway, I was just curious.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 AM
JOHNS3D

ORIGINAL: 5150flyer

Sounds like 2B had a bad experience with a defective DLE engine. He has a right to factually communicate his frustration and that is what he did. In any case he got a bad carb which wouldn't work right no matter what oil he used.

I always fly DA because they work great and I get great support. But DLE is good competition that will force the DA to make a better product. We are all better off when companies compete in open markets with low barriers to international trade.

i would say to put good prices...not sky ones.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Tired Old Man

Wait until he tries to tune the Tillotsen on the 3w. That's a very touchy carb.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
rodney tanner

I have been reading similar threads since I got my first gas engine last year.
The conclusions are basically the same: personal preference is a wonderful thing.
There is no such thing as "best". That depends on experience and what people want to pay for an engine.
At IMAC contests I see DA 100Ls running great and DLE 111s running great.
I opted to pay more for a DA 100L, because (my perception) its basically idiot proof and I have´nt mastered the art of tuning yet. The "anyone" engine as TOM calls it.
But, that said, I would´nt knock the DLE 111. They work well for a lot of people.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: rodney tanner
But, that said, I would´nt knock the DLE 111. They work well for a lot of people.
Well said ! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

Australia...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.