Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Covering for plans

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering for plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Super_Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering for plans

I have viewed and studied the monokote piece done by lomcevek1.
My question, if the GLAD press and seal film is referred to saran wrap with an adhesive can it be used for plan protection on a building board.
Waxed paper recommended, saran wrap acceptible but on the press and seal will it lift part of the plan when removed.
I am not confident myself to try it, but if anyone has had success and would it be cost affective?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Covering for plans

The best stuff I've found for protecting plans is the film that movers use to protect stuff. The last time I moved I grabbed several left over rolls. It sticks to itself which can be a pain, but it does a great job of protecting plans and CA does not adhere to it. I think you can buy it at U-Haul type stores.
Walt
Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I've never used anything other than Waxed Paper to cover plans, and can't see a reason to use anything else. Its dirt cheap, its readily available at any grocery store, the box is easy to store, and nothing sticks to it. A small piece of masking tape at the corners to hold it in place. There's no reason I can see to want anything to adhere to the plans.

Or are you asking about other materials to use for the monokote decal technique using the Press and Seal?

Brad
Old 12-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Super_Chief

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

I've never used anything other than Waxed Paper to cover plans, and can't see a reason to use anything else. Its dirt cheap, its readily available at any grocery store, the box is easy to store, and nothing sticks to it. A small piece of masking tape at the corners to hold it in place. There's no reason I can see to want anything to adhere to the plans.

Or are you asking about other materials to use for the monokote decal technique using the Press and Seal?

Brad
Just for the plans, I was just kind of curious if it is feasible and maybe having it stick to the plans and not rub off the adhesive might be a good way to temporarily store the plans if you needed your table for other work. I like to view these threads for new innovations and the monokote with the press and seal is really good tip.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:59 PM
GREG DOE

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Wax paper is a good first choice, however with the conveince of copy machines these days my first choice is clear packing tape over a copy. That way you don't mess up your origional plan. By the way, years ago I had several disappointments with cheap wax paper, so I only recommend Cut Wright wax paper. The glue
somehow seeped through the cheap wax paper. Greg
Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 AM
tacx

The press and seal will work on your plans. It is a little tricky to get it on your plans because of the adhesive backing. It helps to have another person when working with large strips in order to get it to lay flat. But it wont harm your plans. It has stickyness but not that much. I have used it and after a project it will pull off fairly easy. I don't know if it would be a problem if you stored your plans that way for long periods. CA does not penetrate it. By the way I have tried the "monokote 301" method and it works great. The hardest part is keeping a sharp blade and getting sharp cut lines. Here is some photos of my first try.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24578.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1334255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30889.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1334256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68094.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1334257  
Old 12-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Super_Chief

ORIGINAL: tacx

The press and seal will work on your plans. It is a little tricky to get it on your plans because of the adhesive backing. It helps to have another person when working with large strips in order to get it to lay flat. But it wont harm your plans. It has stickyness but not that much. I have used it and after a project it will pull off fairly easy. I don't know if it would be a problem if you stored your plans that way for long periods. CA does not penetrate it. By the way I have tried the ''monokote 301'' method and it works great. The hardest part is keeping a sharp blade and getting sharp cut lines. Here is some photos of my first try.
Let me gather up my "projects" and let you have a go at mine. Great first time and I'll bet the "old guys" give kudos too. I like these forums because if you don't know what or how to say it somebody always helps with the interpretation.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 PM
tacx

Yep, These forums have helped a ton. This is my first year and most of what i have learned is right here.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What are some of the best ways to fill weave in .56 weight per yard fiber glass mat? It is on a 1/5th scale P 51 mustang and I'm concerned about the brittleness of nitrate dope for filler. Does caster oil really solve this problem? Products I've had mentioned are DAP lightweight, Hobbico balsa filler and talk added to dope, can't even find any pure talcum powder. Need help.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Star7

tacx, did you have any residue left from the press and seal? My efforts left a hazy coat on everything that I had the press and seal stuck on. The residue did not wipe off with alcohol. I was afraid to use it as a plan protector for this reason. thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although not perfect, I've had good luck with wax parchment paper from the baking department at Wal-Mart. I formerly used regular wax paper but now it seems the companies are getting stingey with the wax coating.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 AM
tacx

Star7,

I have not had a problem with any residue. Like i said I have used it on plans but not for prolonged storage. I have used it on my monokote and it left no residue.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 PM
FIGHTERACEX
My Feedback: (6)

Parchment paper, used wax paper for years once you change to PP you will never look at wax paper again.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
makmov

Igot a big roll of hardward store plastic film found in the paint isle. Ijust cut what Ineed, and nothing sticks to it.

I also build a magnet building board, which has done wonders for preserving my plans during a build - vitually untouched after a build.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
crossman

I am currently using the clear backing from a roll of MonoKote. I was very careful to save a much as could from my last two covering projects. I hope it lasts since I will probably be using more UltraCote in the future and it doesn't have clear backing. I have used the plastic film for shipping pallets, but once I put a pin through it, the hole seemed to open up and allow glue onto the plan.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 PM
KitBuilder

ORIGINAL: FIGHTERACEX

Parchment paper, used wax paper for years once you change to PP you will never look at wax paper again.
Where do you get the parchment paper at ? I'm using wax paper and have for years but I remember as a kid it being more waxy. Today it seems CA will stick to it more easily. I guess they cheapening the product like most other things . Does parchment have some sort of coating on it?
Mike
Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Super_Chief

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

ORIGINAL: FIGHTERACEX

Where do you get the parchment paper at ? I'm using wax paper and have for years but I remember as a kid it being more waxy. Today it seems CA will stick to it more easily. I guess they cheapening the product like most other things . Does parchment have some sort of coating on it?
Mike
I got mine right next to the wax paper at WALMART. Going to try it soon.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
sscherin

I wonder what it would cost to have your plans laminated..

That might be another good option.. put a sheet of laminating film over the plans.. (I have never tried this. Just a thought)

Parchment is silicone impregnated.. good stuff. Great for baking too
Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 AM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A wide roll of parchment is my choice. Hard to find the thinnest though. Don't go for anything marked heavy duty thats for sure. I think I might try a donut store.

Plastic is good too but it relaxes sometimes and you have to keep re-tacking it and it can also have nasty buckles in it from being folded if its that type.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:06 PM
SeamusG

Just to waste some time and take some pics ...

pic 1 - parts = LT-40 plans, wax paper, press-n-seal & lite plastic sheet from Home Depot
pic 2 - My LT-40 plans with no covering
pic 3 - plan + press-n-seal
pic 4 - plan + press-n-seal partially removed (no damage to plans)
pic 5 - plan +wax paper
pic 6 - plan +plastic sheet

The best plan visibility seems to be with the plastic sheet, next press-n-seal and then wax paper. The tape that holds the wax paper and plastic sheeting is most destructive thing about coverings. Press'n Seal doesn't need tape.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om33286.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	1356032   Click image for larger version

Name:	hc91728.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	1356033   Click image for larger version

Name:	ot48039.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	1356034   Click image for larger version

Name:	tm31024.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	1356035   Click image for larger version

Name:	do81685.jpg
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1356036   Click image for larger version

Name:	ka43093.jpg
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1356037  
Old 01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

I use 3m77 adhesive sprayed onto the plans and then wax paper on top of that. The 3m77 holds the wax paper very well and snug against the plans. no visibility problems.

By the way - this eliminates any taping. I leave the wax paper on the plans.

Ed
Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Super_Chief

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Just to waste some time and take some pics ...
Much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to post results.
What started as a curiosity factor turned into quite an informative thread.
Thanks to all.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
SeamusG

You very welcome Chief.