Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Rubber expansion nuts.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Rubber expansion nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 05:02 PM
TomM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber expansion nuts.

In order to accomodate a 4 stroke engine in the future, I built my GP 40 Cub with the firewall about 3/4" aft of what the plans call for. Currently using a 45/2stroke.
I used rubber expansion nuts, sometimes called Lord Mounts, to attach a "sub firewall" and attached the engine mount to that.
I could have used blind nuts, but I thought these might take out some "buzzyness".

See quick and dirty drawing

My question is has anyone had any failures with these rubber plugs.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used that style with no problems from .50 to .91..
Old 07-08-2003, 04:40 PM
beepee

Tom,

I use them on my mid-sized gassers (up to 42cc). I have not had a failure in flight. I have lost the ability to reingauge the brass nut requiring replacement, and I have had the bolt vibrate loose. Otherwise they are fine and I continue to use them ... checking bolt torqure regularly.

Bedford
Old 07-08-2003, 06:03 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe what you are referring to is normally called a "Well Nut". A "Lord Mount" is a completely different animal. I had a 1.20 mounted with 10-32 Well Nuts. They deteriorated very quickly and would not stay tight. When I removed them, the rubber was in very bad shape. I don't use them anymore.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:59 AM
beepee

ilikepllanes,

You are right, I am referring to Well Nuts. In my case, I am running gassers, that may be why mine are not deteriorating while yours are.

Bedford