Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CA Jets - heads up!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CA Jets - heads up!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Jets - heads up!

There has been a relaxed atmosphere to gatherings at Buttonwillow in the past regarding after-hours activities. That has changed, effective immediately, and it directly impacts these specific items:
1) Alcohol for human consumption
2) Firearms
3) Fireworks

A recent gathering at Buttonwillow/Elk Hills Airport (the 'Willow), home field to the BARKS club, resulted in a complaint being filed with the Kern County Department of Airports regarding these items being present and/or used at the gathering - all violations of KCDoA rules and our use agreement. It was impossible to deny #1, as some excellent pictures were posted here on RCU, and a link to such was in the complaint. There were also numerous bottlerocket carcasses on the field. KCDoA has made it abundantly clear that any future violations could cost us the field.

I understand completely the many reasons, rationalizations, and excuses involved in this behavior - but it stops NOW. It's not worth losing a great flying site over, and you can be certain that we will be closely watched during this event. Some of those observers will be in uniform, others won't.

Perhaps http://www.bakersfieldrvresort.com/ offers a better location for the cocktail partiers - they even have a clubhouse with a full kitchen available - just a thought.

I absolutely hate having to be the heavy here - but if I don't let you know, I'm not executing the duties of my office. Flame suit on - go for it!

Trent Combs
President, BARKS
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CA Jets - heads up!

The Field at Button Willow is one of the better ones in Ca.that I've been to, and I would hate to see the jet community lose an outstanding site.
Semper Fi
joe
Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Trent,<div>
</div><div>Thanks for all your hard work dealing with the officials and making sure we can keep using this awesome field. This is very appreciated.</div><div>
</div><div>Arnaud</div><div>
</div>
Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 PM
STKNRUD

Trent,

If you don’t live in the vicinity of Bakersfield, you might ask yourself how your flying would be effected if you lost the use of one of the only fields within 100+ miles of where you live. I think it would get your attention.

Thanks Trent..no flame suit should be needed...we're taking about the enjoyment of flying jets at BW....for everyone. You got my attention!

George
Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Trent,

I do not believe you have any reason or need for a flame suit! The members who have attended the informal jet gatherings have absolutely no desire to damage in anyway the clubs relationship with the county. At least on my part, I think there was just a general misunderstanding regarding requirements after dark, when the field is legally closed.

I think I speak for everyone concerned when I say that in the future these rules will be followed, without question by the jet community! Anyone in the future opting to challenge them should not be allowed membership in the club or flight privileges! Simple as that.

Holding the post of Pres of a club can and will stir up a ruckus, from time to time, but this is not one of them. Thanks for your efforts and forthright communication of the necessary info.

David Searles
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Joe, George, Arnaud, And David,

Thank you for the understanding and encouraging posts! The past is the past - my concern is protecting the future. I made this post to inform everyone - not just BARKS members - that attends the next big event at the Willow so that they can avoid behavior that could cost us one kinda special flying site. It's like a cease-and-desist order : WE NEVER DID IT AND WE WON'T DO IT ANYMORE.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:43 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Trent,
I fully understand and respect your actions. Having only been to button-willow the once I can fully appreciate that you and the rest of the club will do anything not to jeopardize your flying field and its great atmosphere.
I find it disturbing that some sad and lonely ( Not to mention biter) Individuals will go out of their way to try and ruin this great resource for so many, buy writing letters of complaint.. How pathetic!
Anyway I am sure that you cali guys wont let this little set back effect how much fun you have, and I hope to be a part of that fun again.
Regards Al
Old 12-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Hugh Heffner

Yeah, that is an interesting question Ali, something that deserves to made public here.

What kind of sad, pathetic, lowlife little piggie would get pleasure from trying to destroy the fun had by the entire jet crew on the west coast? Oink, oink.

Probably someone who is mad at one or two people and then not realizing how damaging his actions are to a very large group of people. Anyone know who this little porker may be?

Nice to see the president of the club so nice about it. Great post Trent
Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy new year guys! Have a safe holiday
Old 12-31-2009, 01:31 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Searles

Trent,

I do not believe you have any reason or need for a flame suit! The members who have attended the informal jet gatherings have absolutely no desire to damage in anyway the clubs relationship with the county. At least on my part, I think there was just a general misunderstanding regarding requirements after dark, when the field is legally closed.

I think I speak for everyone concerned when I say that in the future these rules will be followed, without question by the jet community! Anyone in the future opting to challenge them should not be allowed membership in the club or flight privileges! Simple as that.

Holding the post of Pres of a club can and will stir up a ruckus, from time to time, but this is not one of them. Thanks for your efforts and forthright communication of the necessary info.

David Searles

Well said Mr. Searles.

Trent, we love our field at buttonwillow and the last thing we want to do, is threaten it. And thank you for letting us know now when we can and are very willing to do something about it!

You have our support.

Raf