Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

fuel choice for savage xl, k5.9

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 AM
mubus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel choice for savage xl, k5.9

hi guys after bashing in the snow for over an hour...
i am about to finish a gallon of 20% blue thunder racing blend
and i need some help picking out a good fuel
i am am wondering which fuel is better for a big block because i bought the
fuel originally for my buggy which has a .18 engine... which i ended up selling

i was heard trinity and odnell was good brands... unfortunately my lhs only stock
blue thunder and tornado fuel. so i am stuck with these 2 choice[sm=sad_smile.gif]

also should i stick with 20% nitro or 30%???? [sm=confused.gif]

if you could help me what would be great

Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 AM
wolfie1

Default RE: fuel choice for savage xl, k5.9

ever since i got my xl i have always run30% first i was running byrons then i moved to optifuel cause you get more of it at a cheaper price and with both it has run fine
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
rcslsafut

i personally like byrons the best , alot of guys that i have talked to run 30% in thier big blocks.
i have a gallon of o donnell that i am running now, it is good too ,i just like the byrons better.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 AM
mubus

my hobby shop doesn't sell anyone of them
they only stock blue thunder and tornado fuel so i wanna
know which of the 2 is best
because i heard some bad review about blue thunder
Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
BudBud

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...l-Four-Gallons

I see you are in Canada though, that is my fuel of choice. Glen
Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 PM
rotzilla

take budbuds advice and order yourself some good fuel....
Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM
mubus

i will thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I run Blue Thunder HP8. It is a good fuel that has only 8% oil. Blue Thunder got a bad name. When all they sold was their high oil content sport blend.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:20 AM
Chiral

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

I run Blue Thunder HP8. It is a good fuel that has only 8% oil. Blue Thunder got a bad name. When all they sold was their high oil content sport blend.
Whats wrong with ahigher oil content? I understand that a lower oil content will wear out engines quicker. I'm looking for a fuel right now for my O.S. 21tm in my T-Maxx. I don't race and I want to get the most life out of my engine. My LHS has Blue Thunder gallons for cheap which I'm considering but I'd like to learn more about there fuel.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 AM
jbooker82

A higher oil content doesnt make your engine last longer.

Here you go.
http://www.*********.org/understanding_fuel.htm

They recomend Blue Thunder Sport and Race. I wouldnt go that far and recomend the Sport. It is a higher oil content fuel. Race or HP8 would be ok.

Most of your race blends have low oil contents. Trinity Platnium is 8% and Monster Horsepower is 12%. Odonals doesnt give an oil content % but it is deffinatly not over 12%.

ORIGINAL: *********.org
Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels (above 15%) in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration. Do yourself a favor and follow these two rules:

Rule #1- Always use a high quality fresh fuel designed specifically for gas car use that has between 8% and 12% oil preferably with at least some castor in it. (We recommend Blue Thunder Sport or Race Formula)

Rule #2 - Don't use airplane fuels or any other type of fuels that have over 15% oil in your gas car engine.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM
mubus

i am currently using blue thunder 20% and it sometime gums up my engine cuz of some addictive so i gotta spray my
engine with motor spray to un gum it and my owb slip alot... i been recommended tornado 25% competiton by my lhs... it only has 8% oil content
but for big block i think you don't neeed much oil content plus my k5.9 don't like oil
and that is the only pretty top rated fuel i can get from where i live[:-]
...i wish i could try bryon or odonnel fuel
Old 01-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Chiral

How do you know if it gums up your engine? I don't think I've ever had that happen before.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 PM
mubus

when u try to start you engine but fly wheel doesn't turn or make that loud ba-da-da-da sound when u use the roto start
that just what my lhs told me and i've heard blue thunder being notorious for that
Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 PM
jbooker82

What causes the engine to gum up is the caster oil. Caster oil gets gummy as it sits. So naturally running an oil that is high in caster oil will cause it go gum up. I notice it a little bit running Blue Thunder HP8, because it is 6% caster oil, and 2% synthetic oil. It is low in oil but it is a high caster oil. Caster oil offers the best protection, but it burns dirty, and gets gummy.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
sparky 25

I have used blue thunder in the past and it was probably the worst fuel i have ever run on any of my trucks,

its almost impossible to get a good tune with and it gums up really quickly,

i have since been running odonnell and byrons gen2 these fuels make great power and are real easy to get a good tune with,

this is just my experience with blue thunder,

i bought 4 single quarts and the last quart i had was threw out as i couldn`t be bothered

trying to get the engine to run good onit,

i was running this fuel in an xtm 457 and could not get the engine to clear out and rev out,

it would just splutter when 3/4 revs were hit if i richened it it would make no power and stall and if i leaned it out it would buss like a bee

after running 3 quarts i still couldn`t tune it so gave up and bought decent fuel never had a bother since,

Old 01-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Chiral

When the engine gets gumed up does that meen there's just oil and dirt around the front bearing or does it actually gum up the inside of the engine requiring disassembly and cleaning?

Thanks for the info on the Blue Thunder. I found out atleast twolocally hobby shops around my area that carry Odonnells. I just picked up a gallon of their 20% racing fuel todayfor $28,the same price as the Blue Thunder they were selling.I'm pretty happy I found a good fuel around here. I thought I was gonna get stuck with either Top Fuel or Blue Thunder to power my O.S.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 AM
jbooker82

It gets the inside gummy. It only happens after the engine sets a while. The oil starts to dry out and it gets gummy. After run oil is made to take care of this problem. Most of your high end race fuel blends use verry little caster oil, and rely more on synthetic oil. That is why after run oil really isnt needed as long as you burn all the fuel out of the engine.

I havent ever tore one of mine down cause it was a little gummy. I just ran it easy and the fuel flowing from the engine cleans it out.

josh