Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Doubting local HS (Clutch bell and shoes related)

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Doubting local HS (Clutch bell and shoes related)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
ChaseMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doubting local HS (Clutch bell and shoes related)

I've been ever so slowly setting up for an engine change on my XL (LRP .30). Since I probably will re-use my 5.9 in another beater setup I went to the local HS to get the relevant parts. So I stopped in on a whim one day without checking the stock or other correct sizes for my 52T spur. I asked for the stock clutch bell from the 5.9...they went and ordered me up a 17T non-vented...

Then the 2 guys there sold me hard on composite over alu shoes. This is all months ago, and over the holidays I went to set it up and realized the clutch bell isn't compatible with my 52T on paper. Ok fine I'll order another, now on to the shoes. Handling these things I'm not impressed. What's the best fit for my LRP .30, composite or alu shoes?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:37 PM
ChaseMe

Default RE: Doubting local HS (Clutch bell and shoes related)

K I'm pretty sure I'm going with Max Life shoes and some Mugen springs. Seems quite a few people love them. Then maybe a better gearing setup for my tires and diffs (Goliaths and CENs).
Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
wolfie1

i always use the hpi extra heavy alu clutch shoes with my lrp 30 they last ages and have always done well for me. for the xl its vented bells and 16 tooth is the biggest for the 52 especially with the lrp in it
Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Ya, you got stroked by the LHS.

Stock configuration for a XL is 16t vented with aluminum shoes.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
ChaseMe

So any recommendations for gearing w/ CEN diffs and Goliath tires? I've never looked into changing the gears from stock so I'm a little lost here. Current is 16/52 (XL Stock).
Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

CEN diffs makes the gear ratio smaller, so you should put a 49t SG on it, but with those big wheels/tires, I think that a lower ratio would benefit the drive-train.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:41 PM
ChaseMe

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

CEN diffs makes the gear ratio smaller, so you should put a 49t SG on it, but with those big wheels/tires, I think that a lower ratio would benefit the drive-train.
Ok so is it possible the CEN Diff and Goliath tire combo causes a break even on the stock 16/52? I like my nice metal 52T and would rather not have to drop the $50+ on another metal spur...
Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

metal spurs IMO are over-rated for anything other than a flux and even that unless you're on 6S is pretty over-rated imo... plastic is just so much cheaper lighter, and if it wears out/breaks which will happen almost as often with you metal under normal running conditions with everything properly setup and it working order,

the lug
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
ChaseMe

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

metal spurs IMO are over-rated for anything other than a flux and even that unless you're on 6S is pretty over-rated imo... plastic is just so much cheaper lighter, and if it wears out/breaks which will happen almost as often with you metal under normal running conditions with everything properly setup and it working order,

the lug

OK good to know. I have a friend who switched to a plastic spur on his XL last year. He went through 3 in the summer, maybe his mesh? It's not hard to replace, and as you say there cheap. I'll probably go that route.