Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Exhaust Manifold Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Mickstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold Gasket??

Hey again..Well, when I took the manifold off the engine, I tore up the gasket..Do I need to find a new gasket, or can I just use the Ultra CopperRTV silicone, and make one myself?Thanks againfor any info!!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 AM
bikeracer

Default RE: Exhaust Manifold Gasket??

If it's a side exhaust flat manifold you can cut one from a business card.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Hoese37

Get a new one. If you dont you will be chasing the tune.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 PM
theRCreverend

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

Hey again..Well, when I took the manifold off the engine, I tore up the gasket..Do I need to find a new gasket, or can I just use the Ultra CopperRTV silicone, and make one myself?Thanks againfor any info!!
they're dirt cheap to replace, what kind of motor and manifold do you have?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Mickstix

Yea Im gonna ride down to the LHS tomorrow and see if they have one that'll fit.. If not, Im prolly going to try and make one, by smearing a thinlayer of that Ultra Copper RTV on some tin foil, let it set up, then cutout a gasket with a hobby knife.. EIther that, or put a nice bead around the manifold and bolt it up and let it set for a few hours, then take it apart and clean up any that seeped into the exhaust chamber, then put it back together and let it cure the rest of the way? Sompin like dat anyway... I like the business card idea as well!! Maybe do that and smear a little rtv on it so it wont burn up?One way or another I'll get it done though!LOL.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 AM
bikeracer

It won't burn up as long as the mating surfaces are flat.I've been cutting my own gaskets for years.
You can cut the bolt holes with a suitably sized piece of sharpened brass tube,perhaps from a broken aerial.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
theRCreverend

Yea Im gonna ride down to the LHS tomorrow and see if they have one that'll fit.. If not, Im prolly going to try and make one, by smearing a thinlayer of that Ultra Copper RTV on some tin foil, let it set up, then cutout a gasket with a hobby knife.. EIther that, or put a nice bead around the manifold and bolt it up and let it set for a few hours, then take it apart and clean up any that seeped into the exhaust chamber, then put it back together and let it cure the rest of the way? Sompin like dat anyway... I like the business card idea as well!! Maybe do that and smear a little rtv on it so it wont burn up?One way or another I'll get it done though!LOL.
I'd be curious how that holds up. Not sure how the RTV stuff is going to handle the heat when in direct contact with exhaust
Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Mickstix

Thanks for the ideas and help! Actually had them at the LHS.. Pack of 3 for $2.00  Now I get to waiste one finding out my piston/sleeve is in fact toast..
Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
INTEGRA

RTV is Not Fuel Proof and Will not replace an 1/8 header seal....1/10 side exhaust i have no experience with so wont comment on.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 AM
theRCreverend.
Banned

I don't think that is going to work. It may work for a short amount of time, but the heat and oil are just going tobreak it down and work itout ofthere. Exhaust gaskets are cheap.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although the OP has resolved the problem by finding new gaskets at his LHS, I just wanted to add that I make a lot of my own gaskets from gasket paper. The paper can be purchased at auto-parts stores and is available in a number of different thickness.

I do have a number of different size hollow punches for making holes, but for the smaller holes, one of those leather-punches with the rotating head, works very well.
The following users liked this post:
Big Alice (12-30-2021)
Old 01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
image079

I also make a lot of my gaskets, and not just for R/C.

And I make a lot of shims(small washers) too, from brass, aluminium and plastic sheet.

I have eliminated all the slop in the steering of my onroad, by shiming up the bearings using thin plastic
shims that I made from bottles, packets, back of folders etc, that happened to be the right thickness.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

RTV is Not Fuel Proof
This has actually been scientifically proven to be a myth. RTV is nitro proof, and it is stable when exposed to not only nitro fuel but the pure components of nitro fuel (methanol and nitromethane). RTV is absolutely insoluble in that environment. I proved this, and although the naysayers put words in my mouth in an attempt to discredit me, the data was there, and it didn't lie.

As for the topic, you should just replace the exhaust gasket with the manufacturers recommended gasket, they're cheap enough anyway. If you made you own, I don't know how it would hold up to the heat, that hasn't been tested.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:58 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: dittch

RTV is Not Fuel Proof
This has actually been scientifically proven to be a myth. RTV is nitro proof, and it is stable when exposed to not only nitro fuel but the pure components of nitro fuel (methanol and nitromethane). RTV is absolutely insoluble in that environment.

Scientifically proven LOL .....TOO funny.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:00 PM
dittch
Banned

It's all good. We're all on different levels. Some people aren't smart enough to understand the truth even when it hits them in the face. Some fools will never get it, but that's expected. This is the way things are, for every smart person you will have a goofball.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:29 PM
dittch
Banned

yawn.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At_RYHM7i9A

I still have these samples going, it has been about 6 months now, they still look intact. You would think the plug of RTV would smear when rubbed against paper after being exposed to not only nitro fuel but the pure ingredients of nitro (nitromethane and methanol) after 6 months if it's not soluble in them. Shall I post a video testing them now after exposure for 6 months?, or am I still arguing with a brick wall?

Maybe it's because the piece of RTV is too big, because as you know, table salt will dissolve in water but if it's a big chunk of rock salt it won't dissolve in water ....LOL
Old 01-16-2010, 08:54 PM
dittch
Banned

Looks like we're lost for words. That's expected, because talk is cheap, visual proof is another story. Maybe one of your chronies will chime in with pictures of their nerd buddies and some port work? We all know that proves that I'm full of it......You know, the bassackwards logic that unless I own a Ferrari I don't know how to do an oil change.....LOL
Old 01-17-2010, 02:41 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had to remove three offensive posts from this thread, keep the discussion civil or I'll have to remove the entire thread.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 AM
theRCreverend.
Banned

This has actually been scientifically proven to be a myth. RTV is nitro proof, and it is stable when exposed to not only nitro fuel but the pure components of nitro fuel (methanol and nitromethane). RTV is absolutely insoluble in that environment. I proved this, and although the naysayers put words in my mouth in an attempt to discredit me, the data was there, and it didn't lie.
Where do you get your nitromethane from? I mix my own fuel and haven't used nitromethane in it for a long time now, but I'm always keeping my eye open for distributors that are decently priced.

I bought my last batch of methanol in a 55 gallon drum. I wouldn't want that much nitromethane, maybe only 10 gallons of that at a time.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: theRCreverend.

Where do you get your nitromethane from? I mix my own fuel and haven't used nitromethane in it for a long time now, but I'm always keeping my eye open for distributors that are decently priced.

I bought my last batch of methanol in a 55 gallon drum. I wouldn't want that much nitromethane, maybe only 10 gallons of that at a time.
We're a pharmaceutical lab, so we use solvents with an incredibly high purity, HPLC grade or better. Our nitromethane costs way too much to use for making nitro fuel, and you wouldn't need high quality grades like this for fuel anyway. I checked and the price range for our nitro (depending on purity) is anywhere from $120 to $250 per gallon. I'm sure you could get a lower grade, probably 95%+, for way cheaper than that. I wouldn't know where to get it though.

You said you mix your own fuel. Have you bought it in bulk before? If so, how much did it cost you?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 PM
dittch
Banned

Prove me wrong. I did a test, posted video proof of it ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At_RYHM7i9A ). It has been 6 months now and I still have the test going, shall I check it again and videotape that? The RTV still looks perfect. That certainly points to the fact that it is nitro proof, that and the countless people who have used it over the years to seal carbs without issues.

I invite you to do you're own test and prove that it actually does break down in nitro. Words are cheap, regardless of who they come from. Tangeable evidence, a videotaped test in this case, trumps them.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 PM
dittch
Banned

It really got silent in here, imagine that.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
hunternaf

cool test scientific for me until I see otherwise on my rc Gary
Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

I have seen RTV last longer than the metal it was put on. It really all depends on if it is allowed to cure completly or not. Read the tube and cure time is alot different than set time.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:52 PM
Bchambers1

Originally Posted by dittch

As for the topic, you should just replace the exhaust gasket with the manufacturers recommended gasket, they're cheap enough anyway. If you made you own, I don't know how it would hold up to the heat, that hasn't been tested.
Automotive High temp RTV WITH gasket material lasts longer than a quality store bought replacement.