Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR GURUS HELP!!! Programming JR12X for proportional braking and doing it right....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR GURUS HELP!!! Programming JR12X for proportional braking and doing it right....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 AM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JR GURUS HELP!!! Programming JR12X for proportional braking and doing it right....

Okay guys, I feel like I am going nuts here...Is there a simple solution to this that I am not figuring out by reading the manual 100 times???

Generally I try to fly my scale jets scale-like so not a whole lot of inverted low passes for me. I Slave my brake channel to my elevator channel and program it so when I apply down elevator past the midpoint, I get PROPORTIONAL brakes on my smoothstops. 99% of the time, thats no problem...I land, I press down elevator, brakes apply, plane stops.......Now there's a new Problem:

1. I am getting some new aerobatic jets and will be applying down elevator a WHOLE LOT more during flight thus expending all air in my brake tanks during flight unless I change my current programming setup, so...my friend who flies Futaba suggests I do what he does:

Slave brakes to down elevator as I have already, and THEN make it a condition in my radio program that brakes are ONLY active when retract switch is in DOWN position and brakes are NOT active when retract switch is in gear UP position. "That makes sense and seems simple enough" I thought, I will just go home and program my radio like friend suggested.

But I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW!!!

JR 12X has 8 mix channels, first 4 are straight mixes, last 4 are proportional (which I use one of for my above mentioned brake mixing). On the first 4 mixes, conditions are simple enough. For example, I have direct steering on one jet nose gear and it is slaved to rudder so they move together, and it is a condition of nose gear servo that it only works when gear are down. When gear are up rudder servo works fine, but nose gear servo is inhibited.

The last 4 mix channels are proportional and you can not only slave one channel to another, but can vary what proportion slave channel moves at different points of corresponding master channel's movement. BUT I CANT FIND HOW TO SET A CONDITION THAT SETS WHEN THE DAMN GEAR ARE UP, IT STOPS THE BRAKE SERVO FROM WORKING!!! ARRRRRGH [:@]

I would looooove some help but please guys understand:

1. I am trying to keep brakes slaved on elevator cuz I dont want to be scrambling to hit brakes and fumbling with my radio on landing and dont want them on a knob or sliding switch, so proposing I put it on a knob and not slaving to elevator is not a solution I care for.

2. I want brakes to be proportional so telling me to assign it to AUX 2 or something similar where it is on/off not really a viable solution either.

I guess I am asking..."Has anybody set brakes up proportional to their elevator movement and managed to inhibit them when gear are up and done this on the JR12X?"

Can you help me pleeeeeeeeeeeease?

Thanks in advance everybody!!!
Shaz
303-482-5004
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 AM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR GURUS HELP!!! Programming JR12X for proportional braking and doing it right....

Shaz,

Just tried calling. You may already be getting help.

Chad
Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 AM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: JR GURUS HELP!!! Programming JR12X for proportional braking and doing it right....

I just checked it out , I used a unused model to experiment, I used aux7 as the brake channel, in the device select I inhibited the aux 7 knob ( default for this channel ) then used program mix 1 to mix elevator to brake, amount can be adjusted on left of screen for position 0 or 1 0 is gear down position. on right side of same screen, highlight gear to 1. default is 0 travel. monitor screen shows aux 7 to move proportionally to down elevator only in the gear down position. hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 01-11-2010, 12:54 AM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

ok, tried this on both types of mixes, works fine, just make sure you are mixing elevator to brakes, gear position can be selected same as nose wheel steering was done per gear condition.

Kevin
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Shaz,
Simple solution. Plumb the brakes into the "down" airline. No air pressure is available to brakes until gear is down. You wont have to worry about brake leaks because the gear will already be down if you develop a brake air leak
Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
gruntled

I played with this for quite a while while setting up the 9303 for my airplane. I tried a million different offsets and travels and mix amounts. I was not successful in getting the mix to work for proportional brake mode. It worked fine when the electronic brake valve was set to on/off only. To use proportional brakes, I had to move the brakes to a slider instead of the mix to down elevator.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Big feet

Hi all,
I use a different aproach.
I use flight modes, tafeoff, flight and land. (you can even rename the mode on a 12x if you wish).
In takeoff mode I enable the mix which is then applied in the usual way, down elevator.
In flight mode I disable the mix so I can use as much down elevator as I wish without air loss.
In landing mode I re-enable brakes.
In your mix menu the flight modes are displayed when you select the 'always on' (I think, using my poor memory here)

BTW, I also use a different curve for brakes for take off and landing, my brakes are full on just as about 10% down elevator is applied so I don't enduce a bounce. In take off I use full stick travel to prevent accidental braking.

I started using the flight modes after I began flying helis. Now my mates in the club are using flight modes as well as you can change your entire configuration for each flight phase if you wish. I have my flaps controlled vis the flight mode, half flap for takeoff, none obviously for flight, and full for landing. You can even change the expo and tracel adjust for landing if required.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM
gruntled

But are you using proportional braking and are you able to get the full range of braking from none-partial-full with the brakes returning to off when the elvator stick is centered?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Big feet

Hi,
I am not using proportional breaking, but the flight mode solution will work with proportional breaking if required.
What it will do is prevent air loss during inverted/down elevator manouvers while in the 'flight' flight mode.
You could always mix a free channel to the down elevator stick travel and use a curve to give 100% travel out of the mix, if that is what the valve requires.
I have never used one before so I can't comment.

Hope this helps,
Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 PM
sskianpour

HOLY RESPONSES BATMAN!!!

Thanks guys, my laptop, my apparently very limited & unimaginative understanding of JR12X programming are going to the basement where I will begin to systematically implement all aforementioned strategies till I find the suitable solution.

Thanks all for your input.

Chad, I saw I missed your call today, I am getting old, I think I was snoring when you must have called

Tom, I agree I could manually adjust by tapping my retracts down with the brake line, but I want separate tanks for brakes, and I feel like I paid $1500 for this %&$%#$^@#* Radio, I should be able to program it to do what I want instead of splicing brake line!!!

Thanks again all for your great help!
Shaz
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

so not a whole lot of inverted low passes for me.

Shaz, now that right there is funny!!!!! I got a soloution....by a 12Z...

Get that Boomer RTF this weekend.....I'll check ot the low inverted pass capability for you....hehehehehehhee!!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
sskianpour

Ryan, you are one sick puppy [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

If I could do low passes like you do I would be changing my boxers out after every flightl....[&:]

Boomer on schedule...
Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Good deal....I can't wait to fly YOUR new plane
Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM
junglejet

Shaz, if you are still having trouble try reversing your mix channel. I have had to do that a couple of times, seems the brake valve didnt like one side of the pulse.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
sskianpour

You guys all nailed it. Thanks for your help all. I got conditional braking, WOOHOO!