Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tamiya Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Lurp06x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Kit

Well i am interested in getting a tamiya kit here. most i want to spend is $200. whats a nice time consuming kit that will take awhile to build. i like something in the truck form.

heres the thing i was thinking about getting the Black Foot extreme, but then started to think what if its just a ten minute build that would suck. because i thought converting my rusty to a stampede would take me awhile, but it took me 45mins to do it. I was looking at some of on-road but thought that a offroad rc would better suit me. sorry if i am a pain. i have never had a kit before an thought about trying one out. if anything i was looking at a AE kit too like the SC10.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 AM
nitroade

Default RE: Tamiya Kit

For your first kit build, even the most basic Tamiya kits will take you 4-6 hours I'd guess (and this doesn't include painting). For $200, you can get quite a few different vehicles. Since you mentioned onroad and offroad, I'd personally suggest the DF03Ra. Rally car can do both (although no extreme off roading). It would be a good first build, not crazy challenging. Keep in mind you will have to add electronics etc. which will push the price over $200.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Lurp06x

yep i got a few extras lying around for electronics. but what about that black Foot is that a good one? and you say 4-6hrs? nice i surely going to get a kit now. Tamiya Cayenne S Transsyberia '07 DF-01 also has my interest. and the rally cars sound good too but the only one i would consider is the subaru WRX.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 AM
nitroade

I have both the Cayenne and the Impreza. They are both good builds, however, the DF03 is a more capable chassis in my opinion. Also, the DF01 is slightly bigger which limits the bodies that will fit should you decide to switch in the future. That Cayenne body is also very difficult to get a replacement. Tons of aluminum hop up parts are available for the DF03 chassis, the only mod I'd recommend right off the bat is the slipper clutch assembly. As for the Blackfoot, it's a less challenging build as the gearbox is pre-assembled. Also being 2WD changes it's handling characteristics although it does have superior ground clearance. All depends how you'll be using he truck. I'll post up a pic of the Porsche and Scooby if you'd like to see them side by side.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

when you say $200 is all you want to spend, does that include a radio?  Tamiya kits do not typically come with a radio, or batteries.  My only Tamiya build was a Lunch box several years ago, and I had fun with that.  I bought one for my brother and his son for xmas this year and hes having a helluva time with it (hes 37 yrs old).  I keep joking with him that I did it when I was 13 yrs old, so he must be borderline short bus
Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Lurp06x

$200 is just for the kit.

Is there anywhere i can still the humvee kit? i see the rtr one at towers but i cant find the kit.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58154

hold on is this the one ^^.

I have always wanted scale humvee rc.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you said a truck kit but in my experience none of the trucks are very challenging or fun to build with the exception of the F-350 / Tundra kit but that is well above the $200 you listed.

The most challenging Tamiya kit i've built other than the Tundra was the HotShot re-re. There's a ton of small little pieces and builing the funky front and rear suspensions is a a lot fun. I was half way through the suspension build before I figured out how the rear actually works.

You can get the Hotshot for about $175 or so if you look around but you'll need a radio, battery and charger as well.