Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

6 volt rec batt for DX7

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:25 PM
shaggy48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 volt rec batt for DX7

I actually posted this in another forum but maybe this one is more appropriate.

I recently purchased a DX7 to go with a new plane I'm starting to build. However before I made the decision on which radio to get, I knew I needed servos with at least 80 oz of torque. The guy at my LHS convinced me that I could get that torque if I simply replaced the receiver battery with a 6 volt instead of the 4.8 volts that most radios came with. Sure enough the Spektrum manual claims 88 oz torque at 6 volt. At the time he didn't have any 6 volt batteries in stock but convinced me that I should go ahead and get the radio and he'd have me a 6 volt batter in a couple days. Well long story short it's been three weeks now and still he hasn't gotten me the 6 volt battery. Yesterday was the last straw. I called him for the umpteenth time and he gave me his usual song and dance and promised to call me back again and didn't again. He's a nice enough guy to talk to in the store but he never follows through on anything he tells you. And its my own fault because I should of made him get the battery before I bought the radio.

In the meantime I still need a 6 volt battery. The 4.8 that came with the DX7 is 1100 mah NICAD. So I'm curious what size /capacity I should replace it with in a 6 volt. I doubt a 6 volt 1100 mah battery will last just as long as 4.8 volt 1100 mah. So what's a comparable capacity at 6 volt? 1400? 2200 mah? Anyone?

I visited another LHS today but they only had a 2700 mah which seemed way too big and heavy. The pack which comes with the DX7 looks to be and I'm guessing at the correct verbage here, but Im guessing about 3/4 size of a AA battery in a pack of 4. I weighed it about 4.2 onces. Didn't weigh the 2700 mah at the store but I'd guess it would be almost twice that and appeared to be full AA size batteries in a 5 cell. Is there a recommended 6 volt receiver battery for the DX7?

I did visit the horizon website and see packs ranging from 1100 mah and much much larger. But the pictures don't tell me the cell size and some don't tell me the weight of the batteries either. So before I order something I'm guessing someone on here has already been this route and can steer me towards a "suitable 6 volt replacement".

Thanks in advance

Shaggy
Old 02-13-2010, 12:55 PM
skipperwayne

Default RE: 6 volt rec batt for DX7

I answered you in the other forum, but here's what I've done. I use the 5 cell 6V 2700mah nicads with my Spektrum receivers. The little extra size and weight don't cause any problems for me. The wall charger works fine, just takes a little longer to charge. I always charge overnight before flying.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:59 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a great variety of very good battery packs at RadicalRC.com,

Here's a link to the Batt Pack page (I hope)...

http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=...3556510&cat=19

He's always sold me great product, never a single problem.

~ Jim ~
Old 02-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

In all my JR/spectrum 2.4 radio set ups I use Elite 5 cell 1500 batteries from Cheapbatterypacks.com. Never a problem in years. Brian

ORIGINAL: shaggy48

I actually posted this in another forum but maybe this one is more appropriate.

I recently purchased a DX7 to go with a new plane I'm starting to build. However before I made the decision on which radio to get, I knew I needed servos with at least 80 oz of torque. The guy at my LHS convinced me that I could get that torque if I simply replaced the receiver battery with a 6 volt instead of the 4.8 volts that most radios came with. Sure enough the Spektrum manual claims 88 oz torque at 6 volt. At the time he didn't have any 6 volt batteries in stock but convinced me that I should go ahead and get the radio and he'd have me a 6 volt batter in a couple days. Well long story short it's been three weeks now and still he hasn't gotten me the 6 volt battery. Yesterday was the last straw. I called him for the umpteenth time and he gave me his usual song and dance and promised to call me back again and didn't again. He's a nice enough guy to talk to in the store but he never follows through on anything he tells you. And its my own fault because I should of made him get the battery before I bought the radio.

In the meantime I still need a 6 volt battery. The 4.8 that came with the DX7 is 1100 mah NICAD. So I'm curious what size /capacity I should replace it with in a 6 volt. I doubt a 6 volt 1100 mah battery will last just as long as 4.8 volt 1100 mah. So what's a comparable capacity at 6 volt? 1400? 2200 mah? Anyone?

I visited another LHS today but they only had a 2700 mah which seemed way too big and heavy. The pack which comes with the DX7 looks to be and I'm guessing at the correct verbage here, but Im guessing about 3/4 size of a AA battery in a pack of 4. I weighed it about 4.2 onces. Didn't weigh the 2700 mah at the store but I'd guess it would be almost twice that and appeared to be full AA size batteries in a 5 cell. Is there a recommended 6 volt receiver battery for the DX7?

I did visit the horizon website and see packs ranging from 1100 mah and much much larger. But the pictures don't tell me the cell size and some don't tell me the weight of the batteries either. So before I order something I'm guessing someone on here has already been this route and can steer me towards a ''suitable 6 volt replacement''.

Thanks in advance

Shaggy