Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What happened to Windy City Jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What happened to Windy City Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:40 AM
jamesyb1940

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to Windy City Jets?

I went to Windy City Jets last year and I talked to them about getting into jets and joining the club. I fly 30% aircraft and helicopters right now but wanted to get into jets.

They told me that FVAC wanted to have a nice jet field that's why they spent $150 K on it, the new guy in charge submitted a resume stating that he promotes jets and how Windy City Jets was the hottest jet show around with thousands of spectators.

This is what I hear, the jet field is paid for so they don't want or need the jet events anymore but yet they moved Festival of Fun to a new date because it coincided with Kentucky Jets. So he wants the jet guys from Kentucky Jets to come up and support Festival of Fun but doesn't want to have a jet meet to help support the jet guys with a nice field to hold a jet event at.

I feel the jet events draw the biggest spectator crowds compared to the other events that FVAC holds, so I think the guy should re-write his resume stating that he isn't as big of a supporter of jets as hes made out to be, just my opinion.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: What happened to Windy City Jets?

Sounds like the same ol song and dance that is played over and over again in this hobby.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
3dking
My Feedback: (26)

Well, all I can say is that I think it blows! I went to the FVAC meeting and spoke on this very topic and was shot down. I am a club member and have been one for 2 years. There was somebody in the crowd that said he only flew .46 and .60 size ARF's, and said he couldn't contribute to Windy City Jets, because he does'nt have the money to fly turbines.... Well, that's too bad, if you want to contribute, fly in the Festival of flight. You can fly all day long for 4 days if you want to. One of the main reasons I started flying turbines was because I went to Windy City Jets and saw Dave Murray flying his L-39. It brings a bigger crowd than any other FVAC Event.

FVAC said they don't need the money for another event; then guess what???? Don't charge the spectators then.... They also said it only drew 30 pilots last year...Well, so did their IMAC event...They also said that with the 20mph cross winds we had 2 out of the 3 days that there was a lot of pilots on the ground and not enough in the air..If that was the case, then they should have opened up the gates and let the spectators walk up to the pilots that weren't flying and let them ask questions and maybe, just maybe get potential future FVAC members. The new president said that Windy City Jets has run it's course, and to just let it go...If you are truly Pro-Turbine like you imply on your resume MR. President, then those should be the last words coming out of your mouth.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 PM
jamesyb1940

Just curious, I went on FVAC to look at the presidents resume and he does all this stuff to promote everything like Festival of Fun, now who would want to fly an expensive jet along with all these other 3d planes .60 size arfs, etc.. and risk their jet.

I think he should swallow his pride and reinstate the jet events, I think a lot of people read this and they're not going to want to come to the club events and support FVAC. Like I said before, I think jets are the biggest draw of flyers / spectators.

If he's not worried about money anymore, why doesn't he lower the club dues to get more people to join the club, besides, the way I heard it, the club dues were supposed to go down when the field was paid for. I think his ego is just as thick as his resume which has more holes than swiss cheese.. again just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:54 PM
3dking

James,

There's a lot of politics at FVAC. It's like that wherever you go. You are right about flying with .60 size ARF's. FVAC President said he would give the jet guys the field at the Festival of FLIGHT but I don't think it would be safe to fly with more than 3 jets in the air. Our runway is big but It's nothing compared to a full scale runway. Sh#t happens! All the time... And if there are a lot of planes in the air, disaster will be imminent.

I have another short story that I think you will get a kick out of. Last Thursdays meeting had a gentlemen that just joined the club last summer, and now is a board member. He was one of the guys that voted against having Windy City Jets this year, yet he brought a Nitro Planes Bobcat Jet trainer with a .70 size pusher prop to the meeting for show and tell??? He says he wants to eventually get a turbine!!!!???? But yet is not ok with The jet Meet???? Wow!!! That just blows my mind.[:'(]

At this point we are working on a new location away from FVAC for this year's Windy City Jets. It's not written in stone yet, but it does show promise and it will not be affiliated with FVAC in any way shape or form....

James, if you are truly interested in turbines, feel free to drop me a line and I will do my best to introduce you to our world. If not, Dave Murray is another good guy to ask for help. And if you plan on joing FVAC, I recommend you just go and fly. Be friendly and respectful, but keep to yourself. It will be drama free for you that way. It works for me...
Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 PM
jeteye

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

<span style="font-size: medium">Sorry to hear that Windy City Jets has been cancelled! A fantastic event with great people in attendance. No politics or nonsense, but instead, a very enjoyable event. Given a chance to grow, I could easily envision this being one of the most popular eventson the schedule. I was really impressed with the crowds this event drew. EvenSunday brought hundreds of spectators; It was easily one of the best attended events by spectators. We were astounded by the huge crowds that attended each year.I know they too, willtruly bedisappointed to see it cancelled. Many thanks to the club members who made us feel so welcome, and provided one of the most enjoyable events last year. Hopefully the club will have a change of heart, and make sure this great eventcontinues.

Thanks to CD DaveMurray for hostingus last year, and the fantastic"Goodie Bags"!!!!!
</span>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39967.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1379065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97728.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1379066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85875.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1379067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68155.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1379068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18442.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1379069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31533.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1379070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46603.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1379071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15970.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1379072  

Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM
billtulsa

I went to Windy City Jets last year and had a great time, super club members that I met. There facility is just about the best I have ever seen without going to a real airport. I am planning on going to a pattern event in May they are hosting and its a real joy to fly from a site it so nice. Hard to believe anyone would turn down the chance to raise funds for a club no matter how flush they are.

Bill
Old 02-14-2010, 09:40 PM
3dking

Bill,
Good to hear from you. How's that beautiful Ultra Bandit doing? Thanks again for selling me a pair of UB flexplates for my big girl. You saved the day!!! I have close to 40 Flights and she's still going strong!!! Can't wait for spring!!![sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Name:	ay73557.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	1379149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65642.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1379150  
Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 PM
[email protected]

Every member of FVAC has worked hard to make this the premier field of the midwest. I do not understand why a person [OUR CURRENT PRESIDENT] would want to build the club events only to tear it down. We build a 800 ft runway for the sole purpose of having a great jet event in the midwest. Now that the field is paid for,,more then ever we need to invite all the jet guys back and say thanks for helping make FVAC what it is today. At the meeting[ 2/11/2010] we were told that the field could be lost if the employees of the 911 center did not like us. If we had to move the field should we turn down potential revenue from a jet event??? From last years event,,, we heard nothing but great comments. I urge the FVAC board to reconsider their decision,, and keep the continuty of WINDY CITY JETS before it is to late.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:50 PM
turbinespeed

I was beginning to wonder the same thing. Couldn't figure out why Windy City seemed to be taken off the events list.

Some of the things I've heard have just been flat out ridiculous. I was there last year and the year before as a spectator and I planned on registering as a pilot this year. The event was just awesome and I was excited for this time around so I could get involved. Things were organized, the CD was on top of everything, and it was just all around fun! I may not understand the logistics of exactly why this event has been cancelled, but I'm feeling that there is one very two faced individual out there trying to ruin a good time for a lot of people because his alter ego thinks otherwise.

I would be more than happy to go to Windy City jets if it were relocated. I even have a few other fellow pilots who would follow me and support the supporters of Windy City. Another couple of hours and a few more tanks of gas is all entirely worth it for me when it comes to this event and the people who organized it.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:52 PM
3dking

2009 Windy City Jets Pictures......Bill's Ultra Bandit and Skymaster F-16...

Name:	da83288.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	1379233   Click image for larger version

Name:	ec88289.jpg
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	1379234   Click image for larger version

Name:	ig12572.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	1379235   Click image for larger version

Name:	jg14263.jpg
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	1379236  
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I had no idea there was so much behind this event, I was hoping to attend this year.

I hope it gets settled so we can still add it to the schedule.

Just as an aside, we will have the Minnesota Jet RAlly, Aug 19-22, 2010 in SE Minnesota, about 4.5 hrs from Chicago. All are welcome on this 3000x66 ft strip.

Dave
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 AM
3dking

Sounds like a plan Dave, count me in!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:52 PM
midwestpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Windy City Jets was cancelled... this is true.. but it was replaced by an all inclusive event called Festival of Flight... which is encouraging Jet pilots to attend...not discourage it. This event will have all aspects of the RC hobby going on and none are exclude. In an effort to accommodate the will of the overall club membership which is in favor of less events at the field the Board moved to the all in one event. It is really a great show and a lot of fun to attend. If you only want Jets then this probably is not for you.. but if you want to fly your Jets and also watch and chat with pilots "hucking" it up with 3-D planes or check out wicked details on beautiful war birds and even give advise to upcoming future pilots (jet or otherwise) than join us for a great time.

Again we are trying to free up the field for the general membership as well as have a great event... it is a tightrope act for sure.

I hope you all come and fly with us!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:25 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: midwestpilot

[snip]

if you want to fly your Jets and also watch and chat with pilots ''hucking'' it up with 3-D planes or check out wicked details on beautiful war birds and even give advise to upcoming future pilots (jet or otherwise) than join us for a great time.
Not sure what your plans are for managing this, but these 3 types of flying are not compatible with each other - especially 3-D with the other two. At the Joe Nall flyin, 3-D flying is now restricted to its own separate flight line. Some of your members might think its snobish, but I doubt that you will have many jet guys attend. Mixing jets and other types of flying is generally not that enjoyable for jet flyers because you're always looking out for the other guy. I fly jets at my local field (as do most of us, I think) because its only 1 or 2 aircraft in the air at a time, but I won't take a jet to a general flyin where the flight line is going to be busy because the risk of not coming home with an intact jet is too great.

I can certainly understand the general membership wanting to use their own field, but if you used the proceeds from previous jet events to build the new field, as some have said above, is it right to now "take the money and run" and not have those who helped build it come back and get a chance to enjoy it?

Bob
Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Bob summed it up pretty well. I wish I could attend but it is really too far to drive for limited windows of potential airtime around other type of aircraft.. for me..

I saw an earlier post about a different site for a "windy city" jet event and will keep looking for details on that.

Dave

MN Jet Rally 2010, Rushford, MN
Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM
3dking

Well said Bob......
Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 PM
jamesyb1940

Right on Bob.

The sad thing about this is FVAC has a classic pattern contest in May, a Chicago pattern contest in September and an IMAC contest in August, why can't they get rid of one of these and have a jet meet instead? The jets bring in more money and spectators than the two pattern contests combined.

More people would want to come see jets fly than to watch a pattern contest. I think the presidents ego is just too big and the guys standing behind him just don't get it, you think they would want to help support the jet guys after they helped pay for a good part of that field which they can't deny.

I hope when the president goes to other jet events he feels welcomed because what he's doing is basically slapping the jet community in the face after helping pay for the field and not having anymore jet events. I don't think the jet guys are going to come up to help support the club in their other events, I know I won't anymore.

And is the club going to stand on their word when they built the field they raised the dues to help pay for the field too but now that the field is paid for are they going to lower the club dues like they said or is that just another lie? I think this is a very dumb move on FVAC's part.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to this event twice in the past (all in one Deal) and it is perfectly acceptable to me to fly all these types of aircraft in the same event and maybe there are some misconceptions being portrayed here. In the past event there was an anouncer and and music playing during the event and at NO time did I personally see or hear anyone complain about not getting enough flying time. During the day they had one type of aircraft fly at a time, For example, 3d king could fly his 3d aircraft with his buddies then run to his jet fire that up and fly with them. And each group has the air to themselves at that time. And then have a hot dog while some other guys gets a chance to fly their helis. And then watch a top notch modeler like Merlin Graves fly one of his newest creations with the warbird guys. I too was able to fly with LEWIS PATTON in a solo display to the applaud of the crowds. This show is a great way to make income for the club and promote the hobby in general and the spectator turn out was as good or better than the jet meet which I have also attended at least twice. Is this a dedicated jet meet NO. Could all the above club members have run for President and then tried to convince the general club population to have a Jet meet YES. You may or may not like our newest President of the USA but we got him till the end of his term so lets make the best of it. If you think you can generate the votes necessary to be the next FVAC pres. then you'll be able to work your magic and have the events you want IF you can convince the general population to do so. Let me say that I am NOT a member of FVAC and that I would think that personal conversations with the president in this case would be a better way to try and resurrect this meet than a bunch of WORLD WIDE WEB backstabbing that seems to be a way of life on these forums. With most of the biggest backstabbers not even posting there real names! Don't you all realize this is a world wide forum? Think about what you say before you start saying it. I personally don't think anyone should air their dirty laundry in these forums for the benefit of ones self and to disrespect another. Handle these issues like a grown man not a child. If you wanna have a meet somewhere else then do that. Don't come on these pages and cry about it thinking things will change buy pissing off the guy who could help you change it. I'm willing to bet if you handled yourselves like men sat down with your president over a beer (or whatever you drink) you could change his mind. But coming on these forums and backstabbing those involved will not work. The events that were talking about here are also CLUB SPONSORED events which means club members will have to give their time FOR FREE! for the benefit of the club. Meaning all those involved will go home with a sunburn and thats about it. (oh yeah the field gets paid for) In a club the size of FVAC thats a lot of members who will HAVE to give time for Parking , Trash, Cooking, gate , etc... With the high number of spectators that come to the FVAC events thats a HUGE task for the GENERAL POPULATION to handle. Also we all know that in a club sponsored events only a few of the members actually show up to help but others are there at the next meeting to complain about how this or that was handled. Also in a club this size wouldn't it be better to involve as manny club members as possible in the flying as well as running the event.

Tim Redelman
Old 02-15-2010, 04:47 PM
jamesyb1940

Tim, The only one backstabbing is the president, we tried talking to him at the last two club meetings.
His remark is the jets have run its course. FVAC don't need the jets, the field is pay for.This is what he said at the last meeting.
You know him very well, once his ego gets involved, you can not reason with him.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:59 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would that be the same president who loaned me three of his jets that I flew for nearly 7 hours straight because no one else would fly due to weather on two different occassions and brought in the bucks to help FVAC pay off the note of better than $200,000.00 for the field.

Let it go guys. The Festival of Fligth is a great event and work fine. You have to love the whinning and no flying program that seems to be the norm in the forums of today.

I am with Timmy on this one. Windy CIty Jets or not, there is an event at the field for four days that will be awesome and a great time. Come on out and enjoy if you can get away from the keyboard long enough!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:01 PM
3dking

James,

It's not worth arguing or airing dirty laundry like Tim calls it. What's done is done..It's time to move on.. We are going to try to find another runway in the next month or two. As soon as I find out more I will post it on this forum.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 PM
jamesyb1940

3dking, What's done is done is true,so I will move on, it's to bad that only two of
his close friends had to speak up or him. How come we don't here from the president.
I will move on now.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
3dking

John and Tim are good guys, in their defense they are ambassadors of our hobby, and I know both of them well. Tim flew my F4 and crashed it, but that was my fault, not his. Sh#tty building on my part.. John Redman is one of the best builders and flyers I've ever met. He built my Ultra Bandit, and I can't thank him enough for the job he did. Maybe, someday we can come to an agreement for future Jet Meets at FVAC. But for now, settle for The Festival of Flight. This hobby is supposed to be fun and I think throwing mudd is the wrong way to go.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

Sorry to hear about all the dessention but if this gets straightend out please let everyone know. I would love to come as a jet only event. Coming to Chicago to a Jet event is the only way I coujld get my wife to attend. She loves Chicago.
K.O.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.