Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

clutch for BlackJack 55

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

clutch for BlackJack 55

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:52 PM
RC Boater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch for BlackJack 55

I have designed a Heavy Duty Clutch for the BlackJack 55. In my testing so far I have had no failure. It is working very well with no noticable wear. I have considered selling these if I get enough people interested. This setup will also work in other boats, but my primary focus is on the BlackJack 55 with a Zenoah G 26. I will post some pictures soon.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 PM
danielplace

Default RE: clutch for BlackJack 55

The Proboat Blackjack, Shockwaves and Hydros all use the same clutch setup. Best to just dump the clutch and just use a collet. Have done dozens of these simple changeovers on the Proboats.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:45 PM
RC Boater

DanielPlace, I have to agree with you. The collet is a simple fix for Proboats clutch problems. Ijust like to make things and I was determined to make a clutch that would not give trouble. Some people just like to run a clutch and I happen to be one of the few. According to my GPS it didn't hurt the performance of the boat at all and it looks very neat to. Thanks for your reply and have a good one! rcboater
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 AM
danielplace

Didn't mean to downplay your work you did designing and making your clutch and would enjoy seeing pictures of it. I always appreciate looking at any machined or custom part. You would be able to sell plenty because a clutch upgrade or changeover is mandatory if you want a better driveline.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
RC Boater

No offense here. I like to chat with different people and hear everybodys way of doing things. I will post some pictures soon. On to something else. What kind of mods have you made to your BlackJack. How fast are you running. My friendand I are running slightly modified G26's. He runs a consistent 48-49 mph with a3 blade prop. I'm running 44-45 mph with a2 blade 670.He is so close to that 50 mph mark!!! rc boater
Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 AM
danielplace

Get a Octura X470/3 blade quality prop and raise as high as it takes till you can pull it. It is the absolute best prop for that hull. I made it to 56 mph but I sold the boat a while ago. Had a Toxic Al engine. Tape down lid radio box dropped down inside rails instead of on top. Gas bag. MRD Carb. 1/4 scale steering servo. 2" band pipe. Speedworld rudder assemblies.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
RC Boater

Thanks for the info DanielPlace. How did it handle at that kind of speed. We are guessing at about 50-52 mph, it will be a handful. rcboater
Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 AM
danielplace

It did not ever handle well at all and I tried everything. Rollovers and blowovers was all it liked to do. Stock was bad modified was worse. Even with a rear skeg and full length rudders.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 PM
RC Boater

We have been pretty successful so far with handling, but like I said, much faster than 50-52,I think It will become a chore to drive.I have enjoyed talking with you. rc boater</p>
Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Rsat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ihave a Blackjack 55 that I am re-building for the spring. I have a replacement clutch from Bonzi sports. I am anxious to see how it runs. I also enjoy having a clutch and running the boats
within their practical limits. If I wanted to go super fast I would build a race boat. I can let you know how it runs once the ice is gone.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:13 PM
gtdad

ORIGINAL: RC Boater

No offense here. I like to chat with different people and hear everybodys way of doing things. I will post some pictures soon. On to something else. What kind of mods have you made to your BlackJack. How fast are you running. My friendand I are running slightly modified G26's. He runs a consistent 48-49 mph with a3 blade prop. I'm running 44-45 mph with a2 blade 670.He is so close to that 50 mph mark!!! rc boater

dockman and a few others are breaking the 50 mark... check previous posts

Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 PM
RC Boater

Rsat, The Bonzi clutch is a nice clutch. My friend had one on his BlackJack. The only problem is, you have to run the clutch shoes and springs from Proboat. These parts are the weak link. I have broken many springs and shoes. No one that I have found is making aftermarket springs and shoes. The clutchI makeactually uses shoes, springs and clutch bellfrom an HPI 5B buggy. Go to HPI's website and check it out! It is Heavy Duty. Thesetup that I make is a little heavier than any other setup available.However, in testing with the new clutch and according to the GPS,the extra weight didnot hurt the performanceof the boat at all! The major differencein my clutch is,it takesafew more rpms to engage the clutch.Ilikethis for 2 reasons.Some modified motors do not idle well at lower rpms and this clutch will allow a higher idle. You can even get a set of springsfor a higher clutchengagement than the stock ones.The next reason is, these motors do not make their besthorsepower at low rpms therefore, this clutch will let your motor turn up and improve the hole shot. Good Luck with your BlackJack. It is cold here, and I can't wait for warm weather to run boats. rcboater
Old 03-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Rsat

I heard that about the Bonzi replacement clutch. The clutch was in the boat when I bought it ,I was going to put the regular Bonzi clutch in it until I learned that I would have to move the engine forward about an inch. My plan is to run it this season and replace it next winter. It sounds like your idea might be a real good option to consider, especially if I could install it without moving the engine forward. I was wondering if you think I will get a full season from this clutch. I will probably be running no more than 5 hours this season.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:29 AM
RC Boater

RSat, It's hard to say how long your clutch will last. Some people have had better luck than others. My friend and I have not had such good luck. We run slightly modified G26's,(had trouble whenweran stock motors to)and sometimes we like to run them reallyhard. For me it never fails,went to my cousins sweet 16 at the lake. There were 20 people there and were excited to see it run. I made a few passes and it broke!I wanted to tell you to, With my clutch, the motor sits in the stock location.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Rsat

Thanks for that information, I guess I will just have to run it this season and see how it goes. Even if it runs OK this season I will switch it. I am leaning towards the Bonzi clutch. They have a Blackjack conversion kit that you can buy. At that point I will buy the motor mounts as well . With that done every thing on the boat will be Bonzi with the exception of the hull. I debated completing the work this winter but I really just want to get it together so I can bench test it and have it ready as soon as all this ice melts. Additionally, I have a Wharehouse Hobbies Team pro that needs some minor work so I have to shift my attention to that. I hope the weather is improving for you folks out there. You probably will be able to run soon.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM
do it

I just purchased the blackjack 55 used and I am thinking of getting rid of the clutch. What do I need to delete it???? A collet and a flex shaft??? Is the stock flexshaft long enough???I got a pretty good deal on it 200 bucks. Any help would be appreciated. Anything else I should do to it to make it better???? Its stock form..
Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 PM
do it

I just purchased the blackjack 55 used and I am thinking of getting rid of the clutch. What do I need to delete it???? A collet and a flex shaft??? Is the stock flexshaft long enough???I got a pretty good deal on it 200 bucks. Any help would be appreciated. Anything else I should do to it to make it better???? Its stock form..
Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: do it

This has a couple of different ways of doing it. I did the WHH solderless way and then wound up going with the way danielplace has showed in the drawing.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 AM
do it

If I dump the clutch how does it do without one as far as in the water running???Will it stall???? Do I have to set the idle up a bit??? I know when I delete it its a direct drive so when you start it it takes off. Hows it do in the turns when you let off the throttle being direct drive??? If I do delete it I think Im gonna put a kill switch on it so I can kill it from the radio when coming to shore.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM
do it

Dockman, then what cable did you end up going with??? The stock pro boat one????
Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 PM
hibby

If you ditch your clutch you will need a collet and a new flex shaft as your stock one will be to short. You will need to start it out of the water if you ditch the clutch and will need to turn our idle up some 5000-5500rpm range and then give it alittle throttle and toss it in the water. It should stay running if you let off the throttle, if it doesn't bump the idle up alittle more. I would definately set your radio up to kill the boat and also invest in a fail safe. WHH has a engine kill guad that I use and I also have a fail safe in my radio.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 PM
PEERPSI

My clutch failed early on. A close inspection showed that the problem was different length of the four rods that support the bearing flange which the clutch bell rides in. This caused misalignment of the clutch bell axis to axis of the crankshaft. In short check the four rods, stand offs if you will and ensure they are of equal length. If so you clutch may last awhile. Failing that like Dockman I went the solderless route using Warehouse Hobbies custom solderless setup. What you need to be aware of with that setup is that the only custom part is the flex shaft. What that means is you will need a number of thrust washers to deal with the difference in prop shaft dimensions.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 PM
PEERPSI

ORIGINAL: do it

If I dump the clutch how does it do without one as far as in the water running???Will it stall???? Do I have to set the idle up a bit??? I know when I delete it its a direct drive so when you start it it takes off. Hows it do in the turns when you let off the throttle being direct drive??? If I do delete it I think Im gonna put a kill switch on it so I can kill it from the radio when coming to shore.
You'll need to give it a little toss into the water to get going. Bonus is that you really won't be idling around so you can ditch the water pump. Handling is fine, shouldn't be any different as you don't completely release the throttle in turns. Pull the idle speed screw and set the remote up so the when you move the throttle trigger forward it closes the throttle butterfly completely. This should kill the engine when coming into shore.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
do it

Thanks to all the responses I think I might run the clutch until it fails then ditch it.... I will check the alignment in the clutch too. I am planing on getting a 2.4ghz radio and a new throttle servo and hopefully be ready for the water to try her out. I did have to do a little repair on the fiberglass too. Big fun!!!!