Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Best Truck/Buggy for around $300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Kalani938

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Truck/Buggy for around $300?

Hey guys, I am brand new to this hobby, well actually I only own an older electric car that I've had for years that is pretty low quality. Recently my brothers and I have been wanting to get into this sport, but we don't know which route to take? I have spent countless hours researching what buggy or truck to get, but it is kind of overwhelming if you don't know anything about the sport or quality of the vehicles. I am leaning towards an offroad electric buggy or truck, brushed. I have looked at the Traxxas Slash 4X4 and the Bandit VXL and both seem to look pretty good. I am budgeting around $300 to $350 for this purchase if possible. I would greatly apprecitate any ideas any of you can give me on a good entry level rc vehicle. I won't really be racing at events. Just little races with my friends and family and just playing around. I also looked at a Redcat Aftershock, but have read on some forums that they are brittle?</p>
Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Best Truck/Buggy for around $300?

If your going buggy I think there are better options than the Bandit...Slash however looks to be a fair choice for a truck.  Kind of need to decide between buggy or truck because those 2 categories alone have multiple of options for that price range.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new RC10 series is pretty good. The RC10T 4.1 RTR brushless with 2.4ghz radio should be available now or really soon and it's less than $300.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Kalani938

Other than the looks, what is the difference between the buggy and the truck? Does one handle better than the other? Faster? Etc? Ilooked at the RC10's and they did look like pretty good machines.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Kalani938

Also, which is better, 4WD or 2WD?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kalani938

Also, which is better, 4WD or 2WD?
only you can answer that one, its more preference and what it will be for

in grass and most other offroad situations 4wd is better
streets don't really matter

My preference is 4wd
Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Kalani938

Yeah, I was looking at the Traxxas Bandit VXL and it looks like a pretty good buggy, but it is 2WD and I was kinda leaning towards 4WD since Iwill be racing it in my pasture with dirt/grass mix and maybe in parking lots. I'm so ready to buy one of these I can taste it, but I want to make sure I get the right one. Ugghhhh!!LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I'd look more at a stadium truck or a monster truck then
Buggies are not the greatest on grass. Mine are 4wd and I don't really want to imagine 2wd buggies on grass. Grass I drive on varies from half an inch to 1.5 inches in length. My stadium trucks, Truggy, and Monster truck mow through it with no real issues. The ST's, and truggy slow down a little (I'm talking maybe 1-5% slower than on pavement) where the monster truck flies through it like its on pavement. Where as my buggies I'd say get upto 20% slower on grass due to drag on their chassis bottom

My monster trucks 1/8th scale though. The 2 ST's are 1/10th, buggies are 1/10th, and my truggies 1/12th

You might want to look at the HPI E-savage its not as fast as a rustler but it can go on any terrain. Its a 1/12th scale also. I don't own one but almost all post I read about it the owners it seems are pretty damn happy. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTDD6&P=ML
It needs 2 batteries and a charger which would run around $100 for a decent setup
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The E-Savage is nice but it has little aftermarket parts support, it's sort of a dinosaur that way.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Kalani938

Thanks for the info guys. What's the difference between brushed and not brushed motors? Lets say I want to go 4WD electric brushed. On a budget of around $350, which buggy would be best and what trophy truck would be best?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 PM
rcslsafut

the stampede and rc 10 t4 are good starter trucks ,
i would think the slash would be good too.
if you are going to run in grass and such you will need
more power and more clearance.4wd is always good!!!!
i would go to your local hobby store (lhs) and see what they
have .they are going to have the parts you will need when you
run it into something,notice how i say when and not if. (we all do it)
stay away from brands that dont have have your lhs support as they
will be hard to get parts for!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Kalani938

Yeah I am pretty dead set on getting a 4wd. I liked the Rustler until I realized it was 2wd. My favorite so far is the Traxxas Evo Truggy, but it is out of my price range. The best deal I found on it was $573 for the whole package @ Tower Hobbies. Is a truck like the Traxxas Slash 4x4 as easy to control as a buggy or are they about the same?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Kalani938

rcslsafut, unfortanutely I don't have a local hobby shop anywhere near my town. The closest one is probably and hour and a half away.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Kalani938

Another thing, how big of a difference is the size issue? Which size is better for running on pastureland with grass/dirt mix? 1/10 or 1/12?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: rcslsafut

the stampede and rc 10 t4 are good starter trucks ,
i would think the slash would be good too.
if you are going to run in grass and such you will need
more power and more clearance.4wd is always good!!!!
i would go to your local hobby store (lhs) and see what they
have .they are going to have the parts you will need when you
run it into something,notice how i say when and not if. (we all do it)
stay away from brands that dont have have your lhs support as they
will be hard to get parts for!!!
ever hear of ebay or one of the many online shops? My LHS don't carry parts for most my vehicles and I've not had any issue getting parts.
95% chance your LHS will have to order the parts anyways and you will be sitting for 3-5 days than have to go back, vs waiting for 3-5 days for the part to come to your mail box.
LHS parts support shouldn't be a issue IMO

The slash 4x4 might be the best bet with some bigger tires like masher 2ks and a different body so the wheels can fit. Not sure if much else would have to be changed this is all thoretical on my side.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 PM
gelbschnee

1/10 will definitely be better at running in that kind of terrain, a larger scale truck will handle rough terrain better than a smaller one, and on top of that there are not a lot of 1/12 trucks to choose from (only one i can think of is the lunchbox)

check out the brushed e-savage...not totally sure on the price but i think it may be around 300 bux.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Kalani938

I was just doing research on the Traxxas E Revo and noticed it comes in brushed and brushless models. I would be stretching the wallet to get the brushed, but it might be possible with the package deal they have. However I couldn't afford the brushless model. First off, what is the difference? Second off, would it still be worth getting the brushed version of this vehicle?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Kalani938

Well guys, I am pretty sure I am going to go with the Traxxas 4x4 Slash truck. I went by a hobby shop today while working out of town and really liked what I saw. The associate said they are really good quality trucks and very durable for a beginner such as myself. They wanted $399+tax for their package, but I can get it cheaper on Tower Hobbies.com. I appreciated all the help you guys gave me and hope to talk to you all soon!!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
cumquat

i have a suggestion that fits your wallet but not much else. i am going to suggest a traxxas nitro sport. they cost right around $250 plus fuel, 6 cell nicad pack for the starter, charger for the battery and a few misc items. its 2wd but compared to brushed, even a 4wd, a 2wd nitro is stronger and faster. a 2wd is more capable than you think.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
cumquat

if you dont want to try nitro then i recamend a duratrax evader ext. it aswell is 2wd but it costs $120 on tower plus battery and charger.

from what i gather a brushless motor has more torque then a comparable brushed motor but brushed is cheaper.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 PM
ezbay35150
My Feedback: (11)

Hi all, I'm a Redcat Racing dealer and will make you the best deal on any car/buggy/truck you want. Just let me know what you want and I'll get it for you if I don't already have it. I lean heavy to the Nitro side of life. I have a few 1/8 scale 4wd landslide trucks left @ a great price. I cannot advertise the price due to minimums Redcat has in place. Email me @ [email protected]  (Sylacauga Powersports &amp; Hobby.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 PM
drtbikerider

From my experience of having fun with friends/family and events, I seem to enjoy the RC10T4 and RC10B4 and any from that branch. I have a RC10T4 and several of my friends have RC10B4's and we all love our decision of buying what we have. They both can be bought under $300 and maybe if you find a good deal somewhere close to $220! They are not low quality at all and are very fun to drive. Depending on what you put into them they can be fast little cars. However, They come in both 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive( 4wheel drive being more expensive), If I was you I would get the 2 wheel drive due to less maintenance and it is still a speedy car. </p>
Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 AM
sammich

<div id="TixyyLink" style="border-bottom: medium none; text-align: left; border-left: medium none; background-color: transparent; color: #000000; overflow: hidden; border-top: medium none; border-right: medium none; text-decoration: none">WHY IS IT THAT EVERY YEAR ON EVERY FORUM THAT AS SUMMER APPROACHES AND SCHOOL GETS OUT THAT MORE AND MORE OF THESE ''WHAT SHOULD I GET, on a budget'' DISCUSSIONS POP UP?

</div>
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: sammich

<div id=''TixyyLink'' style=''border-bottom: medium none; text-align: left; border-left: medium none; background-color: transparent; color: #000000; overflow: hidden; border-top: medium none; border-right: medium none; text-decoration: none''>WHY IS IT THAT EVERY YEAR ON EVERY FORUM THAT AS SUMMER APPROACHES AND SCHOOL GETS OUT THAT MORE AND MORE OF THESE ''WHAT SHOULD I GET, on a budget'' DISCUSSIONS POP UP?

</div>
simple people go outside seeing its no longer cold out and want something to do outside like say running RC's

Only reason I got into RC's was because when I went to a shop for fish awhile back the place next door was having a race in the parking lot and I was like damn thats neat 2 weeks later I got my 1st RC(it was around this time of the year). Honestly I should have come here and asked which I should get seeing people could have told me I got a lemon as my 1st, and could have saved me the headache and cash to get it running. Lets face if for people just entering there are ALOT of options and they can be confusing, and also this forum doesn't have the greatest search function so going through old posts for an idea isn't as easy as making a new topic.

BTW ever hear of capslock?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 AM
sammich

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
BTW ever hear of capslock?
WHEN YOU LEARN TO SPELL AND WRITE COMPLETE AND PROPER SENTENCES I WILL LEARN TO REMOVE THE CAPS LOCK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.