Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Broken E-Savage Universal-shafts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
C-Shack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken E-Savage Universal-shafts

In the last month, I've broken two universal shafts doing nothing more than running around the back yard. To be fair, there were a couple small jumps but nothing big. Are the shafts known to be a weakness of the E-Sav. I'm running stock motors with a Novak EVX-2 and Lipos. I would think that this would not be too much stress for this vehicle but apparently I'm wrong. I didn't want to spend $100 on Kershaw CVD's but at this rate, it might make sense. Any thoughts? Any alternatives to Kershaw designs?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 AM
CR500rider

Default RE: Broken E-Savage Universal-shafts

Im gonna tell you to do the same thing everyone told me to do when i was breaking revo axles left and right.......loosen the slipper. Did it help me? No. But just thought i would mention it because you know someone else was going to lol
Old 04-04-2010, 06:59 AM
etivac13

this is the reason why i sold my e-savage...and still waiting for the LHS to have the savage flux...
Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 AM
C-Shack

Thanks for the replies. So, it looks like it's not just me! I have two older E-Maxx's that I converted to brushless. I thought it would be cool to keep the E-Sav water resistant with the EVX-2 and brushed motors but it gets pretty annoying when i can't even get a few full runs on this truck without breaking a shaft. Maybe I will upgrade to the Kershaw CVD's. I just feel like the stock shafts should be built more than strong enough to handle the power I'm running through it.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 AM
head_hunter

Does the E-savage use the same "dogbones" as the nitro?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM
C-Shack

I'm pretty sure the Nitro's parts aren't compatible with the E-Savage. I'm looking at possibly modifying some Traxxas shafts. I'm not sure if it's possible but it looks like it could work.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:02 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

no they aren't i've heard some mod about revo shafts i tihnk, maybe slayer, but i think the kershaws are your best bet, and shimming the diff

the lug
Old 04-04-2010, 07:01 PM
etivac13

http://e-savage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

There are certain Traxxas driveshafts that will work, and are a cheap upgrade. It will help keep your driveline together, and the E-Savage is known for its weak driveshafts, and differentials, so with much power at all, as you have seen, it needs some TLC to stay reliable.

I have a question for you that is a little off topic... Did you run the E-Savage ESC before you went to the EVX? Did you notice any difference in run times when you did the swap? Thanks

Eric
Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 PM
C-Shack

Eric,

I never used the original ESC. I bought the E-Savage as a roller and installed the electronics that I had. With 5200mah lipos, the EVX-2 gets about 20-25min run times before the low voltage cut-off kicks in.

Jim
Old 04-08-2010, 03:22 PM
CMG69

Try the Traxxas Half shafts,Part # 4951, They have more overlap than the HPI ones!! They are a direct fit.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 PM
C-Shack

Thank you for all the replies. Somehow luck is on my side with this issue. A while back, I bought a used E-Maxx 3906 on Ebay. It came with steel cvd's. However, the suspension arms were shorter than the standard 3906 arms and therefore the cvd's were shorter as well. I decided to put the longer 3906 arms and new cvd's on it to give it a wider stance and better handling. I tried the old cvd's on the E-Sav and they are a perfect fit! (Maybe i should go play lotto) The only thing I need to do is get some 6 x 15mm bearings since the E-Sav and E-Maxx axle carriers are different. I also ordered some shims for the diffs and I'm hoping that this will take care of the E-Sav weaknesses. The only thing that may still need some upgrading is the center drive shafts. Thanks again for all the great suggestions and guidance.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Cant beat that with a stick