Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 111 starting difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DLE 111 starting difficulty

I have a new DLE 111 installed in an AW Extra 300. The first time out the engine started as expected. i.e. Open choke and full throttle, flip until it fires, close choke and lower throttle to almost idle, flip until it starts (about 5 flips). Engine ran great.

Today on the 2nd time out the engine would not continue running after choking until it fires. It would just run the prime out. I had to choke and run the prime out about 6 to 10 times before the engine would finally start. I even tried flipping the prop 3 or 4 times after it fired on choke. Once it started it would run fine.

I have 2 filters in it so I don't think there is dirt in the carb. Also have CM-6 plugs in it. I have not touched the hi or low needles from the factory settings.

I'm thinking the low end needle may be a little lean but wanted to hear from someone who has had experience with the engine before adjusting the needles. (Jody, T.O.M., W8ye, Captainjohn, etc)

Thanks in advance,
Ralph White
Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: DLE 111 starting difficulty

This is a common characteristic of the DLE111, many of them do it with the Emas (OEM) carb as well as the Walbro WJ71. What you need to do is put the choke on, throttle 2 or 3 clicks up from idle, flip till it fires, then open the choke only a small amount, about 1/8"- 3/16" open from fully closed, then it will start in a couple flips and stay running. Let it run for about 30 seconds then if it's safe to do so you can just flip the choke off completely, clear it out and take off. Many applications will require you to shut the engine down to safely open the choke up all the way.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:01 AM
drewbags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar problems with my DLE111 and in the end I ending up checking the timing which was at about 42 deg BTDC from the factory. Having moved the timing to 30 deg it is much easier to start and also has a much smoother idle. Admittedly I have lost a bit off the top end but the engine seems to be a lot happier with this setting. Don't know if this will work for your issue but might be worth checking?

Other that great engine and certainly stronger than my old DL100
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Initially, set both needles at 1-1/2 turns open to get it running. Adjust them after the engine warms up for best performance. Both will probably need to be leaned to some extent.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 PM
JUGFLIER

mine did that straight out of the box. The bottom end was too lean. Turn it out about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. It should crank and run, then lean it after you run it in.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Mikecam

ORIGINAL: Ralph White

Also have CM-6 plugs in it. I have not touched the hi or low needles from the factory settings.

Thanks in advance,
Ralph White

You should tune both needles, don't see very many engines not needing some tuning from factory positions.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many entering gas come from a glow background. ALL glow engines have to be tuned. There seems to be a misperception that gas engines do not. As previously noted, that's a misperception. ALL gas engine have to be tuned.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Ralph White

Thanks everyone who replied to my questions. I'm planning to richen up the low end needle about 1/4 turn to see if it helps cure the problem. If it doesn't then I plan to reset both needles to 1 1/2 turns open and tune as T.O.M. suggests.
I'll let you all know how it goes.

By the way, the DLE 111 pulls the Aeroworks Extra 300 great. Has unlimited vertical. Ours weights 30 pounds. I'm using a Vess 27B at the moment, plan to go to 28B after a few gallons.

Ralph White
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24893.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	1413670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84918.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	1413671  
Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Ralph White

Flew our Aeroworks 100cc Extra 300 today. I had opened the low needle 1/4 turn to see if it would cure the starting problem I described above. The engine started just as it is suppose to for the 1st flight. On the 2nd flight I choked it until it popped (2 flips) and then opened the choke and it started in 3 flips. On the 3rd flight I decided to try just flipping without choking. It started in 3 flips. That's the way I started the 4th thru 7th flight.

Looks like my entire problem was the low end needle was to lean. It is running great now. Can't wait to get in the air Sunday. The DLE 111 and Aero-works 300 Extra is an great combination. Never had a better landing plane. Just sit back and watch her come in and then a very small amount of flair for touch down. Couldn't even tell there was a light cross wind.

Thanks everyone for your replys,
Ralph White,
Neoga, IL