Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

I Got Wood

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Got Wood

Now get your minds out of the gutter!

Here is a fast simple and fun way to replicate the wood grain on tool handles and parts.

We will do a every day Heng Long Tiger 1 Flat Shovel.

File and sand the molded clamp down, but leave the mounting pin so we have something to hold on to.

Use Acryl Wood and give your handle a nice even coat, and let it dry. While yu are at it use Polly S Gimey Black for the metal parts.

When the wood color is dry take your #11 Xacto blade and scribe in the basic wood grain. Let some of the lines converge. Go sorta deep on these first lines.

Now use Oil Colors. A touch of lamp black on your fingertip and rub it into the lines. The lightly rub the excess with w paper towel. Repeat if nessecesy.

Now scribe ad scratch in some lighter lines next to the black. Becareful and don't let the lines cross into the black but along side the black.

Now use raw umber and rub it in. Again use a paper towel and rub most but not all of the Raw Umber away.

When you are happy scribe at hrid set of lines even lighter. Now use Yellow Ochre and again rub it in and wipe almost all of it away.

You will see the gain start popping out at you and looking very realistic.

On the metal parts, you dry brush steel on the tip of the blade and the part where wear would occur.

I then used Krystal Klear to dab a few spots where I wanted caked on dirt or mud. I then tap some powder pigment made of pollen and actual dirt.

Let it all dry and mount it to your tank!

Have Fun!!

Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39924.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1418869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89046.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	1418870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65037.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1418871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58270.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1418872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53897.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1418873  
Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM
BiggTony

Default RE: I Got Wood

Nice tip Don! Always hard at work and sharing with the rest of us! Are you still working on the KT?<div>
</div><div>
</div>
Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 PM
torpedochief

Oh yes I sure am. The KT had a little problem....well acutally I made the problem. My hands are shaking more each day. Used to I could adjust things when the power was on, but now I short out more than I build. I need to retrain my self to turn it off first.

I managed to short the micro-switch on the recoil to the point it melted. Parts are on the way though, and I should have it complete soon.

Don
Old 04-15-2010, 11:16 PM
BiggTony

Turn things off before you work on it...........what? lol I still change the house light switches with the main still on! lol.......just kiddin, ....well, I didn't turn it off once, but the hair on my head is filling in nicely though!<div></div><div>I'm currently working on a tutorial myself, it's just so many priorities are in the way right now to finish. Not likely that my tutorial will be of great use to the masses because I'm sculpting a tank commander from the ground up...but, for curious eyes, I'm sure they'll be pleased.
<div></div></div>