Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RAM500, different pump, help.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RAM500, different pump, help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Ravivos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM500, different pump, help.

Hi guys,

Had a great flying day with my RAM500 last week but then some problems began sneaking up on me,
had 7 full flights of approximately 5-6 minutes each when on the 7th flight i had a flame out, did manage to bring her home safe but when trying to start the turbine on the ground it would puff at mid range and flame out again.

thought it was a clogged needle, i took the turbine apart and cleaned the manifold with carb clean spray and some high pressure solvents.
all needles were fine and the turbine was re assembled.

when starting it up again, it would do the same as before, just puffing as coughing at mid range.

we (I3DM - Lior and I) replaced the pump to the flightworks 200b fuel pump and the turbine started fine and went all the way up to max RPM - 150K
there was a problem of a very hot start and i had to decrease the the START PW from 88 to 55 in order for the turbine to start smoother.
now, when throwing the throttle from idle to full, the turbine would spit flames and the EGT gets very high, a pure indication of too much fuel delivered to the turbine.
when advancing the throttle stick slowly, no problem there.

the original pump had max PW of approximately 580 and the flightworks pump have a max PW of approx. 380

what should i do in order to avoid this problem? there is no option to change the ramp time on the ECU's parameters.

thanks for the help.
Ravivos.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: RAM500, different pump, help.

Ravivos:

When you re-installed the fuel ring, did you check that the needles all had the same angle and were in the same position on the vaporizer tubes? if your needles are definitely free of clogging, it could very well be needle alignment, fuel has to shoot out the needles against the vaporizer tube wall, not straight into the tubes...
Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Ravivos

Hi Ruizmilton
yes, i assembled the needles exactly as they were, in the correct angle.
they are all at approximately 45 degrees and each one of the needles is placed inside a tube pointing to its wall.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Amir Assal

Hi Ravivos!
I hope you can solve the problem soon, And be present at The jet meeting this weekend.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:10 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

As you had to reduce the start PW I think it's safe to say the Flightworks is delivering more fuel than the old RAM one was. If you have everything right inside (which it sounds like you have) then as you say the Acceleration needs reducing. There must be a way of adjusting that although it might not be a setting the user can access. If you can't sort it then changing the ECU to a Gaspar Fadec would work well.

Jason
Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 AM
Ravivos

Amir - sure trying to solve the problem as fast as i can, really dont want to miss our desert jet meet.

Jason - i know i can program Gaspar's FADEC for the turbine to work flawlessly but there are two things that holding me back on it - time and money
The RAM's ECU is great and i know that the ramping parameter can be changed using some kind of special super-duper secret menu hidden inside it, just need to know how to access it.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What version ECU do you have? Second you could program a throttle curve in your radio. Then again you could be having an internal fuel leak. Take the casing off and look between the fuel connector and lube connector while pumping fuel into the fuel line. If there is no leak press 1-2 then 3 and back to 2 then go to # 23 and reduce than # or call Carlos or Bob price
Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

What version ECU do you have? Second you could program a throttle curve in your radio. Then again you could be having an internal fuel leak. Take the casing off and look between the fuel connector and lube connector while pumping fuel into the fuel line. If there is no leak press 1-2 then 3 and back to 2 then go to # 23 and reduce than # or call Carlos or Bob price
OMG .... you published the secret code[X(][X(]
Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Ravivos

Hi basimpsn,
i have the CO3 version.
i manage to hack my way into the CO3 factory settings and changed the relevant parameter (110) and now the turbine works perfectly.

thanks.
Ravivos.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 AM
basimpsn

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Woops should be PM

Hi basimpsn,
i have the CO3 version.
i manage to hack my way into the CO3 factory settings and changed the relevant parameter (110) and now the turbine works perfectly.

thanks.
Ravivos.
Soo you are good then??. (110) [X(] I forgot the 500 setting different from the 750

Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

All is well in the RAM world again....
Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Ravivos

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Woops should be PM

Hi basimpsn,
i have the CO3 version.

thanks.
Ravivos.
Soo you are good then??. (110) [X(] I forgot the 500 setting different from the 750

As for now ...
thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
L Turner
My Feedback: (3)

Isn't it amazing how some of these old ones keep going. I have R500 #138 with something well above 1000 cycles now. Running it with an Eco FADEC and doing manual starts: just finally replaced the original fuel pump.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Ravivos' RAM 500 runs like a champ now - actually much better than it ever did now spinning @ 155K !!

Ravivos - tell these guys how she runs..
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Amir Assal

ORIGINAL: i3dm

Ravivos' RAM 500 runs like a champ now - actually much better than it ever did now spinning @ 155K !!

Ravivos - tell these guys how she runs..
What is there to tell.... He Flew up to the moon...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xv63648.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	1424832  
Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 AM
i3dm

Hahaha... good one Amir !
Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Ravivos

well, after lots of fiddling with the turbine, cleaning the clogged needles, replacing the pump, changing the mid ramp time ... now she runs great.
took her out to our desert jet meet over Ein-Yahav (Israel), burnt approximately 22 liters of fuel over a total of 16 flights.
except of one burnt glow plug, she performed outstanding!.
even had a chance racing a fellow jet pilot with the same plane as mine (Converted Falcon120) with a P-60 as a burner... it was pure fun to fly with him and the RAM doesnt fall back from the P-60 at all.
during high speed low passes , during vertical climbs - both planes were on the dime.

thank you Lior for the time spent helping me bringing her up to par.

Magnificent.

Ravivos.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 AM
i3dm

My pleasure my friend - any time. it was a wonderful expirience.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:01 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking for some parts for a RAM 500 and got the impression you might be able to help me. If so please PM me.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
i3dm

For RAM 500 parts i would contact Carlos at: www.rtiturbines.com
Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Ravivos

Hi Sidgates.

Sorry if you got the wrong impression but i only have access to the parts that are bolted on my RAM500 [8D].
As I3DM wrote, if you need any parts you can contact Carlos at RTI, he sure is a stand-up guy and you will probably get whatever you are looking for from him.

I can only offer ideas and thoughts based on my experience with my RAMs.

Ravivos.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 AM
fasteddi

i am also in the happy world of RAM500
all of my 3!!! running with 160k and performing perfect.

F86-Liebetrau
Me163-DW
L39-Schreiner-Savex

Uwe
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My parts inquiry was mainly to "basimpsn". I am looking for used nose cover, starter housing and standoffs for the RAM 500 to convert old style starter to new style. I have the new bendix and starter motor all ready.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Ravivos

ORIGINAL: sidgates

My parts inquiry was mainly to ''basimpsn''. I am looking for used nose cover, starter housing and standoffs for the RAM 500 to convert old style starter to new style. I have the new bendix and starter motor all ready.

Thanks for the replies.
Just one thing to bare in mind, if you change the old style starter to the new one, and you have the new bendix for it, you will also need a new front lock nut that will fit the new bendix.
i.e. - the old lock have a different shape - more of a flathead shape. comparing to the new one which is significantly pointier.
i have both new and old starters on two different RAMs and they are not interchangeable.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 AM
basimpsn

ORIGINAL: Ravivos

ORIGINAL: sidgates

My parts inquiry was mainly to ''basimpsn''. I am looking for used nose cover, starter housing and standoffs for the RAM 500 to convert old style starter to new style. I have the new bendix and starter motor all ready.

Thanks for the replies.
Just one thing to bare in mind, if you change the old style starter to the new one, and you have the new bendix for it, you will also need a new front lock nut that will fit the new bendix.
i.e. - the old lock have a different shape - more of a flathead shape. comparing to the new one which is significantly pointier.
i have both new and old starters on two different RAMs and they are not interchangeable.
Ravivos is right about changing the compressor nut and maybe the ECU. Take some pictures of what you have so far. (Front cover,new and old, ECU powered up) I have some NUTS for that engine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.